Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > Eating Disorder
Replying to Topic: Fasting on fast days
Created On 7/19/11 10:08 PM by hugs

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

hugs
Senior Supporter

7/19/11 10:08 PM

I know people with a history of an ed are not allowed to fast halachically because the person may start liking that feeling of being empty and that fake control that they feel when starving themselves. Unfortunately, I don't listen to the rabbanim in terms of this and I fasted today. Now, I feel strange. I liked that feeling of being hungry and feeling empty. I'm scared that this is the beginning of a downward spiral for me. Anyone have any ideas of what I can do about this?
Thanks in advance!!

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/19/11 10:14 PM
User is offline View users profile

i never heard that, but it makes sence... today was AWESOME!!!!! i could have used some water, but those rabanim can be smart.... but that means like tonz of people cant fast. truth being i dont fast for the right reasons anyway, ive broken it in secret weh i feelt like it b4...
can u talk to ur "team" abt it?

Edited: 7/19/11 at 10:15 PM by channafofanna

Bottom

hugs
Senior Supporter

7/19/11 10:25 PM

Thanks channa.
I'm not sure I want to talk to my team about it but I probably will. I'm so stupid cuz I'm doing so well so why would I go and be self destructive all of a sudden. It makes 0 sense!!

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/22/11 5:26 PM

just cuz ur doin well x mean u cant struggle a bit...

Bottom

t@LI!d$3#9)(+7*1XbNMJF
Junior Supporter

8/6/11 11:38 PM

I have a binge eating disorder with a history of vomiting and at times undereating.

I'm currently in treatment for this.

I've developed a yeast infection throughout my entire body and I'm getting treated for that, too.

When I fast the yeast multiplies and I get not good symptoms- some of them could causes fertility problems, problems to the organs etc. if not taken care of properly.

I read somewhere that I'm not supposed to starve the yeast.

Fasting has led me to binge on foods I'm supposed to avoid.

Should I fast on tisha b'av, Yom Kippur etc.?

Does anyone have contact information for Rabbi Goldwasser to ask for a heter, or what to do in this instance? Or, how I could find his contact information.

Bottom

t@LI!d$3#9)(+7*1XbNMJF
Junior Supporter

8/6/11 11:45 PM

I also have really bad acid reflux and need to take my medication or Tums.

Bottom

hugs
Senior Supporter

8/7/11 12:01 AM

I don't have Rabbi Goldwasser's number but see if you can google it. If not call up any rav you know and ask him. Most will answer this sheila or will direct you to someone that would. Good luck and hang in here!!

Bottom

t@LI!d$3#9)(+7*1XbNMJF
Junior Supporter

8/7/11 1:29 AM

Thanks.

I found a phone number, but I feel funny bothering him if it's his home number.

Bottom

MagicBox
Supporter

8/7/11 2:02 PM

You're kidding about bothering him, right?! i understand that you feel like it is a bother, BUT THIS IS WHAT HE DOES!!! Loadsa people surely call him all the time. i'm sorry about the situation.. May it just get easier! And if you can't fast - than so be it, it may feel awful, but it would be worse to fast.. Hang in there!!

Bottom

t@LI!d$3#9)(+7*1XbNMJF
Junior Supporter

8/7/11 6:46 PM

Thanks so much for your support. I'm not sure if it's his home or work number- do you think I should still call?

Bottom

t@LI!d$3#9)(+7*1XbNMJF
Junior Supporter

8/7/11 8:36 PM

I left a voicemail for Rabbi Goldwasser- hopefully it's the correct phone number.

I also found the phone number for Rabbi Dewick of Magen Avraham- left a message on his extension.

Bottom

MagicBox
Supporter

8/8/11 7:33 AM

GREAT!!! So glad to hear! i hope they call you back quick! Don't feel bad to try them again or even leave them more messages, the way to get through to busy people is only by being a "nudge" AND THEY KNOW IT!!!
Pleassse take care and keep us posted. Lotsa luck!

Bottom

t@LI!d$3#9)(+7*1XbNMJF
Junior Supporter

8/8/11 2:09 PM

Did not hear back from ANYONE yet!
AAhhh!!!!
I didn't think there'd be any rabbis who would be able to assist me in these matters, but I learned at the last minute there are.
The fast starts tonight. . .

Bottom

MagicBox
Supporter

8/8/11 3:17 PM

PHONE THEM AGAIN!!!! i've called rabbi's just before the fast begins and they've answered me without a problem! i've even had one calling me back on tisha b'av...

Bottom

t@LI!d$3#9)(+7*1XbNMJF
Junior Supporter

8/9/11 2:00 PM

Oh my gosh- no one called me back!!!!!!

Bottom

t@LI!d$3#9)(+7*1XbNMJF
Junior Supporter

8/9/11 2:01 PM

Why did you fast?

(In response to hugs's first post on this page).

Edited: 8/9/11 at 2:02 PM by t@LI!d$3#9)(+7*1XbNMJF

Bottom

hugs
Senior Supporter

8/9/11 6:35 PM

I fasted because I had been fasting for years without having any problems. For some reason that fast just triggered me very badly.

Bottom

t@LI!d$3#9)(+7*1XbNMJF
Junior Supporter

8/9/11 9:30 PM

Okay. Glad the other fasts worked out well.

I feel a little bad not fasting without the heter, but my situation is not fasting friendly- allergy and ED wise. My allergy instruction states that fasting is not recommended. I will consult the rabbis I chose to call for future fasts. No one got back to me before this one.

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

8/25/11 4:56 PM

If I may I have found Rabbi Shraga Feivel Zimmerman to be very knowledgeable and responsive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shraga_Feivel_Zimmerman
I PM'ed his email to you.

By the way how do you pronounce your username
If it's ok I would just call you * (star) for short.

Kol Tuv.

-------------------------
"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Edited: 8/25/11 at 4:59 PM by Aba

Bottom

Researcher
Junior Supporter

9/30/11 6:07 PM

Are any of you interested in responding to an anonymous online survey about disordered eating in the Orthodox community? As a fellow survivor of an eating disorder, I am currently examining the struggles specific to the Orthodox community regarding eating disorders. I believe the only way to heal is to educate; I am researching and writing a term paper on this topic.

Bottom

FORUMS > Eating Disorder

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.