Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
Replying to Topic: Halacha scrupulosity
Created On 8/18/11 8:02 PM by mel_08701

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

mel_08701
Junior Supporter

8/18/11 8:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I suffer greatly from Halacha related OCD. I wonder if there is anyone out there with similar issues. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

8/18/11 8:34 PM

did you speak to a rav who has experience in dealing with OCD? if not find one. ask your t or rav to refer you to someone.

Edited: 8/18/11 at 8:35 PM by wishtobehappy

Bottom

mel_08701
Junior Supporter

8/19/11 9:11 AM

I have spoken to more than 1 rav. However, my OCD symptoms still continue to torment me.

Bottom

Real
Junior Supporter

1/30/12 4:17 AM

Ask the Relief organization to recommend a special rov to help you with this.
Good Luck!

Bottom

emunahdoj
Senior Supporter

9/6/12 5:46 PM

Bottom

ygoldstein257atyahoo
Junior Supporter

2/8/15 4:27 PM
User is offline View users profile

Hello Mel I have just been shown this forum. Thanks for the mareh mekomos you emailed me, which I am still working on. For the record I would like to post here that although I have a history of thinking as you do (note: I am aware this thread is years old), I also have a stubborn streak which has led me to cease using the word "suffering" in the context of what some view as halacha-based scrupulosity (P.S. other people are of the opinion that I do not have OCD, how exactly they "diagnose" me varies). There is a catch-22 here: If one says it is acceptable to suffer from one's avodas Hashem then why change one's behavior? If one says it is unacceptable then I hereby am happy that I am doing what ought to be done.

The only way out of this is to demonstrate that what I am doing is not, in fact, what ought to be done. A combination of sources and personal reflection have yielded much in this direction, although much work remains. I thank Hashem for giving me this nisayon to begin with since without it I would have lived the rest of my life with a warped approach to Torah and certain middos and general hashkafos. There is no doubt that the root of my strange-looking behaviors lies with these warped middos etc. However, I have had very few opportunities to discuss matters of Torah, halacha and hashkafa with other people, although not for lack of effort. This is not a plea for anyone from this forum to come to the rescue. It is rather a manifesto for like-minded individuals who have either found the center of the maze and are capable of showing others the way (as in the mesillas yesharim), or those who are still wandering about and maybe two people learning together the shechina will rest upon us.

So although the new teleconference and possibly email support group I intend to found may end up using the words "OCD" and "suffering" because I'm not just founding it for myself but for everyone who needs such a group, let it be known that even those with perspectives such as my own will b'ezras Hashem be able to find their own place in the group.

May Hashem grant me sufficient courage, strength and ability, to do what I must do in order to fulfill my purpose in this world. I wish the same to everyone here. May we all be granted relief from all our sufferings and may Moshiach come speedily in our days.

-------------------------
My email is revealed in my username.

Yehuda Goldstein

Edited: 2/8/15 at 4:34 PM by ygoldstein257atyahoo

Bottom

ygoldstein257atyahoo
Junior Supporter

2/18/15 10:21 PM
User is offline View users profile

The (anonymous) teleconference group is now active. Please email me (see username for my email address) for the number. Men only.

-------------------------
My email is revealed in my username.

Yehuda Goldstein

Edited: 2/18/15 at 10:22 PM by ygoldstein257atyahoo

Bottom

FORUMS > OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.