Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
Replying to Topic: compulsions in your brain?
Created On 9/7/11 2:23 PM by chocnpeanutbutter

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

chocnpeanutbutter
Supporter

9/7/11 2:23 PM

I don't know if it counts as OCD but anyone out there have ruminating, where you keep going over and over what you have to do? I guess it's like a compulsion in your brain. I can never settle down because I am scared that I will forget something that I have to do so I am always on edge.

-------------------------
Don't judge me, and I won't judge you.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

9/8/11 10:18 PM

Maybe you can make a list of what you need to do, and perhaps highlight the urgent things (or put them on a separate list).

Then to tell yourself that you have absolutely nothing to do.
You can tell yourself that if you don't do these things, you'll still be OK. And to give it over to G-d to take care of, and to trust that He'll take care of everything.

Then, when it comes time to do each thing, you can focus then on doing it.

Bottom

chocnpeanutbutter
Supporter

9/11/11 2:06 PM

thanks for your advice. The main problem is really when it's something I have to do long term, like for example I have to study for GRE's. That can never be out of my head because at any time, I could really be studying (except Shabbos), and I'll feel like if I'm not studying, at least I should be thinking about the fact that I need to study. my job starts in a few weeks, it should get better than because it's not like I can study while I'm working. BTW, I do make lists, all the time, but it is so painful to make these lists - like my brain is purposely not letting me remember everything I need to do, because it would rather I just keep it in my head and obsess about it, so I can't even write everything. And then I just obsess over whether I wrote everything on the list that I have to do. Although once I have a good list, it does help me when I keep thinking about what I have to do, because trying to remember is painful - I always get stuck - so at least i can just read it and repeat it over and over.

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

9/11/11 7:35 PM

sounds more like anxiety than OCD to me, on second thought, they both have similar roots.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

9/11/11 10:51 PM

My understanding is that therapy can help a lot

Bottom

chocnpeanutbutter
Supporter

10/9/11 2:14 PM

I recently had this really cool enlightening experience. while i was in shul on R'H, and I could not stop thinking about what i had to do after R'H, I decided to try what people do with real ocd - NOT do the compulsion, and see if the anxiety goes away by itself. And it worked! Only for a short time, but it was still really important, because i've been using this technique a lot since then and it gets better and better each time. My hope is that it will one day become automatic.
i have a question - I see that some people out there seem to be much worse off than I am, and I feel bad talking about my comparitively petty problems. Does anyone ever get offended? or if i give advice, and i totally missed the boat bec i didn't realize the other person's situation is worse than mine - anyone mind?

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

10/9/11 2:51 PM

I sometimes feel the same way, especially when I'm in a good mood, I feel guilty when I come on here and see people struggling so much, but truth is, we each have our ups and downs and what looks petty to me can be monumental to you and vice versa, and to me personally, the nitty gritty sometimes aggravates me more than the real serious stuff... and as anyone struggling with obsessions can testify, they are not petty at all, they can suck the life out of you... anyway, don't know about others, but this is my take on the matter, I for sure don't mind... as for the advice, if I'm in a real bad place and it's not relevant at the moment, it can always be later on...

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

10/9/11 4:08 PM
User is offline View users profile

ya me 2.. i try to stay away or not reply so mcu hwhen im in a good mood...

Bottom

Ineedspace
Supporter

10/10/11 12:39 AM

Hi, I'm popping into your conversation. You both are talking about other people's BIGGER problems. My believe is that Hashem gives each person their unique challenge and the appropriate tools to deal with it, therefore for us - someone else's problem SEEMS BIGGER because we lack their tools, for them OURS may seem bigger. My take. And regarding giving advice, we can't go into someone else's mind, and we don't know what the person really expects to get. One thing is for sure, just to listen is never harmful, we don't necessarily have to give advice unless the person specifically asks for it. People sometimes just wanna vent and feel heard. But I think people here have been generally nice around here.

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

10/10/11 10:56 AM

you're right about the tools, but no denying the fact that some people were definitely given bigger problems to deal with than others and it's hard to watch... anyway, my reason for feeling guilty is also that I know what it feels like to be in pain, so when I do feel better and see someone still stuck in that place, it makes me feel guilty for feeling good, sorta like survivor's guilt, if that makes any sense... coupled with the fact that other people's pain and/or depression and attitudes sometimes trigger my own... but I still find it helpful to come on here and have a place to vent and be understood, or even just distracted, so it's a little complicated and I'm kinda in conflict...

Bottom

FORUMS > OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.