Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > Diabetes
Replying to Topic: can not keep up
Created On 12/22/05 10:50 PM by izak

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

izak
Junior Supporter

12/22/05 10:50 PM

i am learning in a yeshiva
and i find it very hard to keep up with my chavrusos because i have to take time off to do exercise, or because of low sugar, or high sugar ,and to other people who do not have diabetes ,it lookes like i am just getting up the whole time and leaving, because i am not intrested in learning
lots of times i end up going to sleep late, because of low sugar or something like, that so i am very tierd the next day, and i find it very hard to learn
and it gets realy deppressing the whole time
and i feel bad for my chavrusos because they do not have a guarantee that i am going to be there
and i am extremley worried about low sugars, so even when i am there i find it very hard to learn, because i am thinkimg of my diabetes the whole time,there is no one else in the yeshiva that has diabetes so most of the time i feel very lonely and depresed,
on shabbos we dont daven in the yeshivah, rather in a local shul, so i dont really have anyware to leave my bm machine or some sugar, and the whole davening i am worried
i am nor sure how i am supposed to keep up to the same standerd as another 300 hundred bochurim who do not have diabetes
id love to hear from anyone else who had similar problams in yeshiva and what they did

Bottom

tzally1
Junior Supporter

12/23/05 3:29 AM

Hi,

(Before i begin, let me make one thing clear: once you get your blood under control - you will not go through this)
I feel sorry to hear about your situation. I am a Bochur (now graduated) and i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes while i was in yeshiva. I know the feeling.

I hate to say this, but my parents were not very supportive about it, not because they were trying to be bad chas v'sholom, but because they simply did not know how to deal with this situation. As a result, i had to fend for myself.

The first thing i realized was that i must be optomistic, as any psychologist would tell you. (I personally never visited a psychologist, but i am not telling you to refrain from doing so. It may be helpful.)

The second thing is you must face reality! When an army comes to attack your country there are two ways of dealing with it, one way is to simply cover yourself and run away - which will not get you anywhere, because you will end up suffering. Another way of dealing with it is to set your mind straight and fight back! True! - in the beginning it will be hard, but in the end - you will emerge victoriously.

If you face diabetes with strength and determination, and no matter how many times you seem to fail you will continue fighting - YOU WILL WIN!!!

Don't keep on feeling sorry for yourself. Don't tell yourself that i chas vesholom will never make it. you must feel strong and determined, and ready to fight. Make sure that you feel comfortable with your doctor/endocrinologist, if you feel that they are not interested in you or they give you the creeps, that is an open path to depression chas vesholom. Establish a close relationship with your doctor, as if he were a friend. Don't feel nervous about calling him/her any time of the day.

"Every beginning is hard", that is a clear statement in the Talmud. But look at the outcome! overcoming your diabetes will bring out more strength in you then you ever had!

If you have any questions, please continue writing, i will be more then happy to answer your questions.

P.S. diabetes is right now one of the most intensive research disease, look ahead! before you know it there will be a cure.

Edited: 1/15/06 at 1:31 PM by tzally1

Bottom

C.R.
Junior Supporter

2/12/06 10:14 PM

Dear izak,

if it's possible,tell a close friend or chavrusa that you have diabetes and explain to him what he can do to help you, for example, to take a walk with you for exercise or give you sugar when you are low. Telling even one person can make a major difference, you'll feel like you're not alone. Also, don't be nervous about not having your bg machine in shul because if you feel low you can always take sugar cubes from the coffee section without taking your number. Don't worry about keeping up with the other bochurim, diabetics make up for their lack of insulin with extra brains.Good luck!

Bottom

FORUMS > Diabetes

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.