Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > Autism
Replying to Topic: Hand Biting
Created On 11/24/04 8:47 PM by neshama

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

neshama
Junior Supporter

1/6/05 5:18 PM

does anybody have any good ideas how to tackle this self stim hand biting problem? our autistic 5 yr old daughter is biting her hands non stop, we cant control it. we tried a couple of behavioral merthods which were not successful....

Bottom

sruls
Junior Supporter

1/10/05 4:18 PM

Hi there;

As parents of a boy with multiple unrelated problems, one of which was repetitive hand biting, we understand the pain and frustration that you are going through, may hashem give you koach and peace of mind.

Here are some different approaches that we tried; hopefully one of the following ideas will help you curb this habit,
(1) we tried some wrist toys that works like a Velcro band so he should be distracted enough to play with the toy,
(2) The abilitation catalog (abilitations.com) has a sensory oral motor innovation called chewlery; it basically looks like a small plastic spiral bracelet which goes on the arm. We put a few of them on each hand hoping that he would chew on them instead of his hands.
(3) We tried covering his hands with wool gloves, leather gloves, and even gauze pads and ace band aids…….
None of the above worked for our son. He bit non stop causing open wounds (even through all the coverings). Needless to say he was miserable and so were we. We had to resort to restraints. The one that worked for us were called elbow splints. We got them through a surgical supply store that ordered the splints through posey.com (they billed our insurance for it.
Cat. # 4642 4”L - infant – 2 yr.
#4643 6 ¾ 2-7 yr.
These got wrapped around the elbow immobilizing them. Because he could not bend his elbows his hands could not reach his mouth, and he could not bite. He was still able to play with his toys, but he couldn’t feed himself. Although this sounds drastic he was much happier once he wore them because he wasn’t hurting himself anymore. He wore them for a few months and now b”h there is no need for them any more

hatzlacha raba!!!

-------------------------
sruls

Bottom

leahh
Junior Supporter

3/13/05 4:41 PM

As a pediatric O.T., I can tell you that behaviors such as hand-biting can be based on a sensory issue. Often our ASD kids need intense deep-presure sensation to calm and organize their neurological system. Offer your child to squeeze their hands really hard - and offer deep squeeze on other parts of their body as well - as they desire. It is important to help them get enough of this type of sensation throughout the day - through natural activity as well - like working with clay, etc. If you have an O.T. you can consult for more specific ideas, that would be ideal.
You should also take your own emotional response into consideration. If your child knows that doing this behavior really gets them attention / a dramatic response - they are NOT going to want to stop! So, while meeting their needs NOT as a direct response to the behavior (i.e. at set intervals throughout the day - ideally every 1 1/2 - 2 hours), make a point of trying not to respond at all when they bite themselves. If they see that they get zero response out of you when they do this, coupled with really having their sensory needs met in other ways that come with more positive attention from you - you will hopefully be able to change the behavior.
Good luck. I've been there and I know this is all easier said than done...

Leah Hochbaum

Bottom

rina miriam
Junior Supporter

2/22/06 8:06 AM

Dear Neshama,
Sorry to say this,but, all the above is cute and everything,but tachles, it dosen't work long term.
We've been driving ourselvs crazy over this for the past year, especially since our daughter has a tendencey towards egzema.
I finally mentiond it at the support group in my daughters school and a mother told me s/t thst crazily enough deffinitly caused a significant reduction in hand biting.

Bassicaly, it's food supplaments given w\ meals.

we were desperate enough that we tried it and, like I said, it worked.
If you're intrested, I'll put down the stuff on the web.

Good luck!

Edited: 2/22/06 at 8:08 AM by rina miriam

Bottom

alwaysbehappy
Junior Supporter

3/19/06 9:10 PM

I know that handbiting is one of the hardest behaviors to fade. It can be caused by multipal reasons. Is she aggravated, is it attention, excitment... What kind of behavior plans have u tried so far?

Bottom

sruls
Junior Supporter

8/29/06 3:15 PM

hi everybody i havnt been here in a very long time but in reference to what was posted that the remedies that was used on my son are not long term i can say one thing! we had a big problem and tried everything, this worked three years ago and he didnt bite even once since then

sruls

Bottom

keepgoing
Junior Supporter

11/18/06 9:41 PM

rina miriam, did you find that the supplements helped with other issues as well? My 41/2 yr. old son seems to be so uncomfortable, he's scratching and pinching, biting occassionally and recently, we're seeing some hand biting as well. There's so much out there as far as vitamins are concerned that I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Bottom

FORUMS > Autism

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.