Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Replying to Topic: Carpal Tunnel SUrgery
Created On 2/23/06 10:41 AM by sdschweitzer

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

sdschweitzer
Junior Supporter

2/23/06 10:41 AM
User is offline View users profile

B"H

After 9 months on disability and 11 months of physical therapy, I am going to have surgery on my right wrist. I am more worried about the recovery than I am about the procedure itself. How will I care for my husband and children? How will I cook & clean? My mother offered to come and stay with me, but she does not have a clue about kashrut, so I would still have to handle all the cooking. Can anyone suggest a company that I could order premade food from so that I don't have to worry about feeding my family?

I am also interested in hearing personal experiences with recovery from carpal tunnel surgery?

Thanx!
Dena

-------------------------
The four aspects of wellness, physical, financial, environmental and personal, are all interconnected and if any one of them is suffering, all the others will suffer. Therefore, if you can assist one of them to improve, all will improve.

Bottom

GamZuLetovah
Supporter

2/23/06 2:37 PM

Hi,

You might want to check out www.kosher.com.

The sun is always shining! There are just times we don't see it.

Bottom

sdschweitzer
Junior Supporter

3/3/06 11:57 AM

my father sent me a large food package from there.

surgery went well. i am having extreme pain. i dont like the way the medication makes me feel, but taking it anyway.

employer wants to cancel my insurance.

want to cry. davening instead.

-Dena

The four aspects of wellness, physical, financial, environmental and personal, are all interconnected and if any one of them is suffering, all the others will suffer. Therefore, if you can assist one of them to improve, all will improve.

Bottom

sdschweitzer
Junior Supporter

3/7/06 10:19 AM

L-3 cancelled my disability insurance b/c my payment was a day late. I am trying to get my Long Term Disability policy coverted to an individual policy, but it isn't looking good because I am already out on disability. How will I take care of my family?

-Dena

Bottom

Tzvi
Junior Supporter

3/8/06 12:59 AM

Try to give a call to the Workers Compensation Board, Albany 866-750-5051, or Binghamton 866-802-3604 This is for a work related disability. Good Luck The states have disability laws and and there should be some sort of answer for this problem in NY.

Bottom

sdschweitzer
Junior Supporter

3/22/06 8:43 PM

The L3 branch I work for is in California. I tried to go through worker's comp but their Dr wanted me to keep working & my doctor said that it would continue to get worse, so he put me out on disability.

My hand is not healing from surgery as expected. The Ortho surgeon is sending me to Physical Therapy. I am going to try to get my health insurance to approve going to another orthopedist.

Found out today that my employer is calling my doctor's office to get information about my progress. Isn't that a HIPAA violation?

-Dena

Bottom

hb
Supporter

3/22/06 10:57 PM

Just wondering what your employer would benefit from an update on your progress????
And yes, HIPPA laws should protect you from having your medical file discussed. However, i've found that besides for alot of form signing, I havent yet seen what the law has accomplished.

Bottom

sdschweitzer
Junior Supporter

3/23/06 2:14 AM

my employer keeps waiting for a return to work date. they dont like that it may take me up to 48 hours (which i am entitled to) to fax them a new projected date that i MAY be able to come back to work. my doctor's secretary said that she felt intimidated and offered to fax the doctor's notes to them after each visit. i was livid. i have only given them consent to share my medical info with my husband. even though i stopped it before it happened, feel violated.

-dena

Bottom

sdschweitzer
Junior Supporter

3/29/06 9:07 AM

I am 29 days post surgery and still swollen & in pain. I am seeing the physical therapist this week.

Trying to clean for Pesach left-handed is slow going.

-Dena

Bottom

hb
Supporter

3/29/06 1:15 PM

Refuah sheleima. Hope you feel better soon.

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

5/9/06 2:38 AM

I had 2 carpal tunnel surgeries done
one on each hand, one 2 years and 9 months ago, the second one a year ago.
and Yes recovery was much harder then surgery itself.
but I don't think took 29 days for the pain to go away..
my mom cooked for me when I had it done, both times, getting dressed was murder and taking a shower was also tough bec. it wasnt allowed to become wet, I had to tie a bag around up till my elbow but I didn't have the use of one hand so it was very hard to tie it, I think I did it with my mouth..
and I did have pain for more then the 2 weeks that I had the bandage on... I had pain in my hand every time I knoced my hand into s/thing. I had to leave it open so it can heal, but I wanted to keep it closed forever so it shouldn't hurt.

I can still see the marks of the stiches on both hands, they said it will go away, so far it's still here.

anyways.. just wanted to wish you good luck and easy, and pain free rest of the recovery.

Bottom

sdschweitzer
Junior Supporter

6/6/06 11:58 AM

I am more than 3 months post surgery and my hand is still swollen. Only in the last week have I been able to use both hands to tie my shoes. (I could give classes in one handed challah braidind and matzo ball rolling.)

The doctor wants me to continue to take pain pills. I don't like the way I feel when I am on the medication, so when the pain is too much, I sit down and say Tehillim to get through it.

I am so thankful that I have my health. I treat this as an inconvenience.

I have been in physical therapy 2-3 times a week. I can finally lift a 2 pound weight and I was able to catch a 1 kg (2.2 lbs) ball, but I had to use both hands.

My therapist called me to tell me that future appointments have yet to be authorized by my insurance. So I cancelled all future appointments because I can't afford to accumulate a huge debt. My short term disability runs out this month and my long term disability was cancelled by my employer.

I have started on an oral herbal regiment and using an all natural topical treatment. I feel better in the last week with that, than I have these last 4 months. If I had knowledge of these products beforehand, I may not have needed the surgery. Jus another vvaluable lesson learned.

I have decided that I will not have the surgery done on my left hand. I will just leave well enough alone. I just won't be able to go back to work in my chosen career field. Now to figure out what to do with the rest of my life.

-Dena

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

6/6/06 3:26 PM

Dena, First of all, I'm really impressed with your additude and the way you look at things..

If only e/one was like that, the world would be a much better place.

If the dr said that you needed surgery then those other treatments prob. would not have helped.. because when you need surgery it means that the carpal tunnel is too advanced for treatments to help it..

Good Luck, I hope you heal really quickly.
BTW, I was never told to do any physical therapy.

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

6/7/06 8:27 PM

this may sounds crazy, but i would get a second opinion from a good osteopath. many of them become orthopedists, so you can get the best of both. they look at things differently and may therefore have better ideas and better ways of treating your current symptoms. i would strongly recommend this route, at least for another opinionl

Bottom

sdschweitzer
Junior Supporter

7/16/06 10:00 AM

My health insurance company said that I was entitled to a second opinion with another orthopedist, but I had to get the consultation request through my primary care manager. So, I went back to my doctor and asked to see another orthopedist for a second opinion. He is sending me to another physical therapist first.

I am really frustrated. I have been doing physical therapy for over 4 months and it hasn't helped. My hand is still swollen and discolored. The Shabbos before last I accidentaly hit my wrist on the edge of the kitchen counter. There was a red mark that intersected my incision mark. One one side of the scar, my hand swelled and the other side did not. It was quite upsetting. Had it not been Shabbos, I could have taken a picture to bring to the doctor.

I am beginning to believe that my right hand will never completely heal. I have decided to research non-traditional remedies to alleviate the discomfort.

I try to have a good attitude about this. It is difficult, but being upset about my situation is not going to make it any better. Despite my best efforts, I have been depressed. I am not sleeping. The things that I used to enjoy, no longer sound fun. I don't even want to think about the weight gain.

I am having blood work done to rule out my thyroid. Once the bloodwork comes back from the lab, I am going to find a new physician.

Shavua tov!
Dena

Bottom

FORUMS > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.