Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > Panic Disorder
Replying to Topic: GROUP Therapy/Support for Social Anxiety
Created On 10/15/09 2:46 AM by littleengine

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

littleengine
Supporter

10/15/09 2:46 AM

I've been getting treatment for social anxiety a.k.a. social phobia for a a few years, however I just recently began attending a support group. I wish I had started attending years ago, as I now realize what an important part of treatment a group is. Individual therapy is also important but it doesn't allow for testing out skills. In a group, you can actually work on expressing anxious thoughts/feelings to others (not just to your therapist) and listening to other people who have similar emotions, in a safe, structured environment. A group is an opportunity to work on establishing and maintaining healthy relationships. There, you can work through your anxieties in a social situation where you will be accepted, will not be judged and where you can get feedback on your behavior.
So for anyone out there who is working through their anxiety with the help of therapy/medication or any other treatment, and progress is slow, I recommend attending a therapy or support group if you have the opportunity.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

10/15/09 3:38 AM

Thank you for the information and the very interesting explanation.

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

10/15/09 10:31 AM
User is offline View users profile

I like your user name.
Welcome aboard and may you have continued success in your treatment.
Aba

-------------------------
"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

10/15/09 11:46 AM

I couldn't agree more. I wish more clinicians offered group therapy!
Hatzlacha!
a lynn

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

11/11/09 8:35 PM

Are you able to mention contact info for this group. I am also interested in joining!

Bottom

littleengine
Supporter

11/12/09 11:40 PM

Hi Braining,
I was hoping you would come on sometime, ever since I posted my question about group support on the ? forum (sorry, don't remember which one). You were the last person who had posted on that thread so I addressed my question to you, though I didn't know if you were still around.
To answer your question, the group that I attend is not a Jewish group. I don't know how you would feel about that.
I am interested, though in finding out about any groups in the frum community. Do you know anything about that?

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

11/29/09 9:39 PM

I, together with another frumsupport member, will be organizing men's and women's support groups in Brooklyn. If there are enough people, we will branch out to other areas. The men's group will be run by Simcha Feuerman LCSW who writes in the Jewish Press weekly and the women's group by Aviva Biberfeld PsyD. All who are interested, please email RutieEta@gmail.com or timhnow@live.com.

This will really be exciting!

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

11/29/09 9:42 PM

Me and another frumsupport member are organizing men's and women's support groups for frum people. We would love if you can join. We will start out in Brooklyn, but hope to branch out to other areas as well. Please email me at RutieEta@gmail.com . We are looking forward to an exciting group.

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

11/30/09 8:59 PM

Oops! My friend's email is tlmhnow@live.com. You can also send me a personal message.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/12/09 11:46 PM

Let us know how it goes!
a lynn

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

2/9/10 12:36 AM

I am starting a women's phone support group. You can live anywhere in Us or even abroad to join. We can go by first names to keep it anonymous.
If you are experience ANY difficulty and would like to join, please email me at RutieEta@gmail.com. I don't usually check the frum support private messages.

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

6/15/10 6:44 AM

A men's support group in Bklyn has already started. It is led by an excellent therapist, Simcha Feuerman LCSW.
All who are interested in group therapy, call 718-793-1376. You can say you heard about it through Frum support.
See support groups forming under general mental health if you want to see more info on this topic.

Bottom

FORUMS > Panic Disorder

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.