Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > General (Cardiology)
Replying to Topic: dextrocardia- heart on right side
Created On 1/6/05 2:07 PM by pcd

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

pcd
Junior Supporter

2/27/06 10:02 PM

my child was born with the heart on the right side, just wondering if there is anyone else who has this?

Bottom

refua
Junior Supporter

3/7/06 9:45 PM

i have heard it is not dangerous if other organs are also reversed.

Bottom

nursedina
Junior Supporter

8/8/07 4:43 PM

Hi. I see that this message was posted a while ago, but I'm writing this anyway in case anyone is researching this in the future.

I know a bit about this condition, as it runs in my family - we have three members to date with this condition, and each family member's prognosis is very different...

The condition known as dextrocardia (heart on the right side) can occur on its own or with several other anomalies. If it occurs alone, it is referred to as dextrocardia, but many times it is not the only organ that is reversed, and this is called heterotaxia (heterotaxy).

The other organs that are affected include:
- the stomach can be displaced to the right
- the spleen is often on the right side and there may be more than one spleen (polysplenia) or the spleen can be totally absent (asplenia)
- the spleen(s) can all be working, or none of them work (the spleen is an organ normally found on the left side of the abdomen and it is involved in our immune system)
- the liver is often displaced to the middle (it is usually on the right side)

- the heart is often "flipped", meaning that it is normally in the center, leaning to the left and in this case, it is in the center, leaning to the right.

The major anomaly that an occur as a result of the dextrocardia is known as transposition of the greater arteries (TGA), a serious heart condition in which the heart didn't "flip" properly, and the major blood vessels leading out of the heart are not in the right place.

I have a relative with heterotaxia, and he has multiple spleens, dextrocardia, displaced liver and stomach, but b"H no TGA. He is living a wonderful life keinayinhora, without any symptoms of his disorder - you would never know!!!! He has many children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren.

We have another relative that has this condition with the TGA, and this is a lot more complicated, as it involves several surgical procedures and lifetime care. But B"H he is also doing very well.
Hope this helps

Bottom

FORUMS > General (Cardiology)

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.