Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > General (Dermatology)
Replying to Topic: atopic dermatitis
Created On 8/17/08 12:34 PM by dw_paprika

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

dw_paprika
Junior Supporter

8/17/08 12:34 PM

Hi, all;
My three-year-old daughter is suffering terribly from atopic dermatitis. Her skin has always been sensitive and many times itchy, but recently something obviously "happened" and we don't know why it is exactly that caused this major deterioration. Her skin has become dryer than I ever thought possible, she itches like crazy - she was up nights for a long time, many times a night, just crying and itching until she bled all over and until her skin underneath was simply unrecognizable. Even the doctors we went to gasped and said they've never seen anything like it. She's been on cortisone after cortisone - of course they help while she takes it (craems only by now) but as soon as we stop - it's all back. We went to a good doctor in Jerusalem who also gave us a whole plan using different creams during different times of the day - it helped while we were up tot he first, stronger part of the plan, but as soon as we tried to go for the weaker creams - back it came.

We tried taking her off almost all foods (she was eating only potatoes and some vegetables... poor thing) and it kept worsening (so obviously it wasn't just that we did not try long enough - even though it was only for two weeks - because it would not have WORSENED). We tried different things (they couldn't do regular allergy testing becuase there was no place on her body that was not infected and that could be checked...) but it doesn't seem to be an allergy...

Right now she's relatively okay - her skin is bad but not itching so much anymroe (I think it's the Aveeno I use when bathing her that calms the itching) and I give her somethign natural to put her to sleep faster at night - - so even her skin looks better because she's not tearing it apart with her itching.

But it obviously can't stay that way - - - any suggestions??

thank you!
Deena

-------------------------
Deena

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

8/19/08 10:39 PM

I would try essential fatty acids by mouth like Flaxseed oil (try mixing it in grapejuice). It has helped my eczema and my mother's extremely dry itchy skin that wasn't responding to anything else and try to avoid the cortisone-it thins the skin, weakens bones, raises blood sugar etc. and only a temporary bandaid. Check if you changed detergents or maybe switch to a more natural, no fragrance etc. one. hatzlacha.

frumsw

Bottom

dw_paprika
Junior Supporter

8/20/08 4:48 AM

thanks!! I'll definitely try it and let you know (finally sounds like something new that we haven't tried yet.. :0)

Deena

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

8/20/08 10:59 AM

i agree about the essential fatty acids but would go with something more potent than flaxseed; you can give a child 1000-2000 mg of fish oils daily. strat slowly and build up, let her take it on a full stomach. read the ingredients on them before buying so you don't get added ingredients. a very pure brand is the nordic natural (you can check their website.) and, in case you're not already doing it-whenever you give her a bath, always then cover her body with plenty of lotions and creams to retain the additional moisture. A&D ointment and/or Vit E would probably be the best right now because they are very good for open skin to heal up. refuah sheliema!!!

Bottom

FORUMS > General (Dermatology)

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.