Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > General (Mental Health)
Replying to Topic: jaded with the stigma
Created On 2/7/16 2:27 AM by ayelet_hashachar

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

ayelet_hashachar
Supporter

2/7/16 2:27 AM

I can't help but say this, it has been burning inside of me for quite some time. There is a HUGE problem with stigma in the frum community, and it infuriates me.

Since when is somebody who takes "medication" made to feel ashamed for something they did not choose and cannot control?

Since when is it acceptable to be so medayek in some areas of halacha, but when it comes to ben adam lechaveiro suddenly it becomes okay to gossip and self-righteously "warn" others against people who "take medication?" State that nobody would want them? View them as different, inferior? Doesn't it say that the Torah was given to bnei adam, human beings, which means that middos is a prerequisite for the Mitzvos in the Torah?

These are not just working of my imagination. These are things I have witnessed.

If this is what frumkeit stands for- stigmatizing others- then I don't want to be a part of it.

-------------------------
Let's just say G-d knew I had a sense of humor.

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

2/7/16 5:57 PM

(((HUGS))))It's horrible when people look at us as broken-we need to be fixed? They are just afraid that they or some family member will get an MI so they look at us as OTHERS. We are different and if they think this way, they feel good about themselves.
Sharing your pain and frustration!

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

2/8/16 12:36 AM

Sorry Ayelet! The frum people i hang around are open to medication. I worked in a frum office my boss and most of my co workers were on medication. A few of my friends are on medication.

Some people still see it as a no no but more and miter I'm seeing it become more acceptable..

Your pain is real i feel for you! I've been in similar situations...
It's gonna take more time for the stigma to fully subside..

Bottom

ayelet_hashachar
Supporter

2/10/16 11:47 PM

Wow thanks guys for the support.

And I just have to get out one more thing...it makes me even more furious when ppl say "you know why there's this problem? because the parents do such a good job of hiding it." Well why shouldn't they hide it, if this is how ppl treat them?!? Besides, it's really nobody's business what diagnosis someone has unless it affects them.

Let's just say G-d knew I had a sense of humor.

Bottom

Manic Me
Junior Supporter

8/5/16 1:33 AM

And the worst part to me is that for anyone who has ever opened up any of the sfarim on lashon hara there are clear halachos of what is allowed to be said, to whom, and who is allowed to say it.
I've learned Purity of Speech and it has a whole part about shidduchim where it goes through the types of questions (financial, medical, personality) and explains when and where the halachos of lashon hara require someone to give over what they know, and when it is not allowed.

And truthfully, I think those of us on medication have done a lot by doing our part in remaining functional members of society when there are many people who have all different sorts of mental issues and should be on medication and are not taking care of it, causing pain to many family members.

"I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!"

Bottom

FORUMS > General (Mental Health)

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.