Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > Cellulitis
Replying to Topic: swelling
Created On 3/28/05 4:36 PM by ag

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

ag
Junior Supporter

3/28/05 4:36 PM

I've been on antibiotic for almost a week for cellulitis in my leg. The pain is completely gone but my leg is still very swollen. Does anyone have experience with something similar and know how long the swelling should last?

Bottom

graham calvert
Junior Supporter

12/8/05 4:54 AM

In event of inflammation of leg with Cellulitis symptoms take anti-biotics (flucoxacillin) as prescribed by doctor. Symptoms can be pain in leg, or feeling "flu-like" or sick, and red or blotchy skin.

Treatment is anti-biotics and rest, and do not exercise, especially if the legs are painful, or itchy. Infection can enter body through cut or bruise, in my case probably from "athletes foot". Therefore be aware of itching between toes. Use surgical spirits on cotton wool, and dab between toes. For soles of feet use Neutragina, or homeopathic cream, MSM with Aloe Vera. Dry thoroughly between toes and wear flip-flops whenever coming out of swimming pool or Mikva.

Rest feet as much as possible. Raise leg above head to drain fluid, and reduce the swelling in ankles. Lie on floor with a pillow under your head, and place feet onto bed, and rest for 15-20 minutes. Do this as often as possible, as soon as there is sign of the ankle swelling

Visit dentist to check out teeth and cavities. Infections come into the lymph system via cavities in the mouth. Often only visible by the dentist taking a more detailed x-ray.

I found a few visits to a practitioner of "non-invasive acupuncture very useful, as the alternative therapy diagnosed sources of infection that affected me. The conventional GP could not Identify these problems; (eg cavities in the mouth) and were supportive of homeopathic remedies Contact Mr Scott- Morley 01202 733762 home; 01202 660044 office; electrodoc@aol.com. www.med-tronik.de

Wear Sygvaris medicated compression stockings (Swiss made - below knee to foot), especially if standing for long periods or travelling by air. Available in London from John Bell and Croydon in Wigmore Street, 020 7886 3726 and need to be measured and fitted by chiropody dept. Cost £45/£50 per pair. (The physiological reasons I don't understand, but the reality is that you feel more energetic when wearing the Sygvaris stockings and less tired, and most important reduces ankles swelling.) The stockings are tight at first, but they do ease after a wearing a few times. The chiropodist at John Bell and Croydon demonstrate correct way to put them on (by turning inside out). At the start, wear only for a couple of hours.

Consider a wedge shaped pillow to elevate legs at night. (available from Sissell (UK) tel 01422 885433) www.sisseluk.com

Visit chiropodist (Do not to use any cream at all between toes as there are glands there that need to sweat (!) and just use surgical spirits)

Have a duplex x-ray, as recommended by doctor, of lymph and blood system to ensure there are no blockages. The veins in my legs seem fine, but at the earliest sign of swelling, I try to wear the stockings and elevate my legs. Rest as much as possible. On car journeys take a break every 90 minutes minimum to stretch legs.

In Hot weather, ensure legs are covered. Use ample sun-tan lotion and treat any bites or cuts immediately. No exposure of toes in open sandals, and always wear cotton socks. Ensure that socks are loose fitting and "soft-top" (not elastic at the top that leave an indentation on the leg). (Available from H.J. Hall 01455 610610)

Rotate shoes, and do not wear the same pair on consecutive days. At end of day take a hot bath (as hot as is comfortable) I avoid slip-on shoes and generally wear laced shoes.

Boost immune system with Echinacea teas. 1/2 squeezed lemon with a teaspoon of honey is also said to boost immune system. Drink plenty of fluids, 1 glass of water per hour (200ml). 8 glasses per day.

While some doctors recommend long-term low dose anti-biotics, this can possibly reduce your immunity to other infections. These are just observations that I have found of help. There is no rhyme or reason why I get the infection. I have had it 4/5 times, usually (but not exclusively) when in a hot climate on holiday. Know your body. If you have itchiness in legs or restlessness, take a break, and elevate the legs for 10-15 minutes.

Physiotherapist - to exercise the lymph nodes and prevent build up of excess fluids.

Bottom

FORUMS > Cellulitis

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.