Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > Ask Dr. Ledereich
Replying to Topic: Swimmer's Ear
Created On 4/11/10 9:09 PM by freespirited1

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

freespirited1
Supporter

4/11/10 9:09 PM

I've had swimmer's ear a couple of times before now, but I've never really had it this bad. For the past three or so months, I've been getting it on and off. Usually, I just put vinegar in the affected ear once or twice a day for a few days or so and it goes away, but lately, it really comes back too often.

Three weeks ago, I was in so much pain that I literally couldn't open my mouth without tears in my eyes (and I have a very high tolerance for pain). My doctor said that my ear canal was very swollen, but it wasn't red at all and my eardru looked cokmpletely normal. He also said that my glands were perfectly fine, too. He concluded that the inflammation from the swimmer's ear was so bad that it had intercepted my jaw. He told me to use vinegar for a week and from now on, to put rubbing alcohol (70%) in my ears after every time my ears get wet-especially after the shower. When I complained that usually, I can only use the vinegar for a day or two before it burns too much to even comtemplate putting in my ears, he said that that shouldn't happen, but he wrote me a prescription for a lower dose of acetic acid (2%). I was on it for more than a week, then stopped. I continued putting alcohol in my ear, but the swimmer's ear was back within a week and a half. This time, the symptoms stopped almost immediately after I started using the ear drops again, but I started to have the feeling that there was water behind my ear drum and it only got worse when I used th ear drops or the alcohol. I continued using the alcohol but stopped the ear drops. Needless to say, the swimmer's ear was back with a vengeance. I was having trouble opening my mouth again today, but I don't really see the point of trying to use the ear drops again if they're not going to help as this is the third time in three and a half weeks that the swimmer's ear has come back.

So what do you suggest, Dr. Ledereich? Should I continue with this cycle of ear drops or vinegar and getting the swimmer's ear again? I currently can hardly hear out of my right ear at all, but my doctor insists that my ear drum looks fine, and I can't live on Tylenol forever! Please help me.

-------------------------
Smile; it's what your mouth is there for
---
I have the short-term memory of a carrot
---
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap

Bottom

FORUMS > Ask Dr. Ledereich

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.