Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > Where Can I Find...? How Can I get...?
Replying to Topic: solutions for dehydration??
Created On 12/26/07 1:48 PM by bubbs96

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

bubbs96
Supporter

12/26/07 1:48 PM

does anyone have any ideas/experience with managing severe dehydration at home? I am constantly in the ER for IV fluids and severe hypotension.....they pump me full of fluids to stabilize my BP, then discharge me, but even tho I do drink as much as I can (more than most ppl, and usually pedialyte or something similar), my BP tanks within days, I start blacking out, and repeat the process.....it's really interfering with my ability to live a normal life, go to work, etc!

Has anyone heard of using feeding tubes solely for hydration purposes (ie, NG or PEG's)? Or doing IV's at home? Can anyone give me ideas or insights? I have long term damage to my body's ability to absorb/process fluids, and just can't take in enough orally anymore....

-------------------------
"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

yaldatova613
Supporter

6/13/08 10:39 AM

bubbs, i don't know if this is still an issue, but i was on iv fluids - at home - for over a year. i have to say that it was a lot better than i expected it to be. it wasn't fun, but it wasn't hell either. let me know if u want more info.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

6/15/08 8:09 AM

well, the issue is more complicated now, but I am definitely curious how u did it, if you don't mind sharing? did you have to have a nurse come to the house? were they able to teach you to do it yourself? was it an overnight-only thing? I'm sooo sick of ER's and hospitalizations.....

"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

yaldatova613
Supporter

6/23/08 12:01 AM

weeeellll......at the time i was a huge whopping mess. i have motility issues (as well as chrons as well as some other stuff) so i was dehydrated and very malnourished. i was absolutely sick and tired of ERs and inpatient but because of all the gastro stuff nothing was able to go down, and whatever did go down, didn't get absorbed.

so after spending 7 weeks in the hospital i went home on TPN (IV nutrition) and hydration boluses as needed. At first I had a PICC line, but that has to be changed every 3 months, so eventually i had the surgery for a broviac.

as far as the actual 'hooking myself up' i did it thru a wonderful company (Coram Healthcare). They had a nurse come to my house the day I was discharged and she taught me how to mix the bag, add necessary meds...prime the pump, program it to run as fast as i needed that day and how to hook it up to myself. It was really simple. I hooked my nutrition up before i went to sleep and flushed it and turned it off when i woke up! that's all there was to it! the nurse came once a week to change the dressing on the PICC and see how everything was doing. and there was always someone on call in case anything went wrong during any time of day or night. i tucked the PICC/broviac tail in carefully before i went to school during the day and was able to function relatively normally. if i felt i was getting deyhdrated sometime during the day, i went to the school nurse and gave myself a bolus of normal saline - took roughly 25 minutes for 250 cc.

hope that was clear. i realize i've used lots of medical jargon - feel free to ask for a dictionary...

Bottom

personn
Supporter

3/14/10 4:08 AM

ububbs message me imda1best@gmail.co m

heyyyy

Bottom

FORUMS > Where Can I Find...? How Can I get...?

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.