Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis
Replying to Topic: Ulcerative Colitis and Anemia
Created On 9/13/08 11:26 PM by Sarah

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

Sarah
Supporter

9/13/08 11:26 PM

Hi,

I posted this message to Arrhythmia but had no replies. I have been anemic for 6 months now and do not know why.

I have had lots of tests done e.g. endoscopy, small bowel series, colonoscopy all of which were not impressive. Blood tests show anemia and inflammation in the body (platelets high).

My latest test was a Stress Test which I could only do for 3 minutes because my arrhythmia (dizziness, tachycardia) did not allow me to do anymore. Doctor suggests more stress testing e.g. holter monitoring, nuclear testing.

When I lie down (in prone position) I feel tiny bubbles in my trachea area. When I wake up I have tachycardia and feel these tiny bubbles again and on awakening during the night too. Then I cough to catch my breath. This seems to happen when I eat at night.

The doctors that I have seen, do not know what the bubbles are about. Does anyone know which type of Doctor can treat my symptoms? I have no strength, get dizzy when bending down, cannot climb steps without resting in between, same with walking up a slope. These are much worse in hot weather.

Right now I have ulcerative colitis which does not help the situation. I am 51 years of age.

UPDATE: The doctors think that the anemia is caused by my colitis and even when it seems to be in remission, they think that there is occult blood.

Has anyone else had problems with ulcerative colitis and anemia? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kol Tuv

Sarah

-------------------------
Daven to Hashem - He always listens to you!

Bottom

tomidbsimcha
Supporter

9/16/08 4:22 PM

I suffered from aniemia when i had colitis, but i knew the exact reason, I was bleeding alot. It wasnt easy I went for iron shots almost daily and had endless amount of transfusions. It all went away in remission and even when it flaired up the bleeding wasnt that bad the 2nd time.

Bottom

PB613
Supporter

9/16/08 6:27 PM

I also experienced very serious anemia due to blood loss over an extended period of time (almost 12 months before being dainosed.) My iron levels were below the minimum, and I was still walking around, hadnt gone to a dr yet....talk abt denial...
Was sent in for a blood transfusion on erev shabbos and rt before leaving to the hospital, my dr. said it could wait till monday. It was a rough weekend, but the next week all the test came back with UC, so i started meds and iron supplements which BH returned my iron levels to normal over the next few months.

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

9/16/08 6:59 PM

Thank you for your posts. The problem with me is that I have had ulcerative colitis on and off for many years now. I know how to treat it when it flares up.

I just cannot believe that there is occult (hidden) blood due to the colitis.

I hope to do a couple of different stress monitoring tests since I am constantly tired and out of breath after going up a few stairs, bending down, etc.

Sara

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

10/30/08 6:03 PM

I will continue my posts in Cardiology as I am recovering from Emergency Open Heart Surgery.

Sarah

Bottom

FORUMS > Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.