Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > GERD Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
Replying to Topic: Adult GERD
Created On 2/13/05 5:09 PM by lookinforhelp

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

2/13/05 5:09 PM

Anyone around here suffer from acid reflux?
I do, and I've tried various meds, but to no avail.
Any ideas or tips on how to avoid heartburn without drugs?
Thanks!!

Bottom

downsyndrome
Supporter

2/13/05 9:58 PM
User is offline View users profile

I've heard it said that eating yellow apples greatly reduces the discomfort of acid heartburn, especially if you don't want to take any meds. Good luck.
S.S.

Bottom

Yaakov
Junior Supporter

2/14/05 4:44 PM

Have you tried Prevacid? I found that 2 pills work for me. I have a hiatal hernia and gerd. Losing weight also helps, if that is a problem for you.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

2/15/05 9:40 AM

Prevacid is actually one of the only drugs I haven't tried, but I'm now living in Israel and the whole drug system is different, so I don't know if they have it here.

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

2/28/05 1:29 AM

not all reflux meds are created equal. they all have different side effects and some may respond better to one than another.
however, if all else fails and there is still reflux, something MUST be done for the reflux b/c, over time, it can CHV"Sh cause an esophogeal cancerous condition.
there is the Nissen precedure (surgery) with good success rates and laparoscopic,and now there is a newer OUT PATIENT procedure which also works in a nice % age of patients, and is primarily done for those who are not candidates for a laparoscopic procedure but have reflux that is non-responsive to meds.

Bottom

Yaakov
Junior Supporter

2/28/05 11:19 AM

I wonder if you can get prevacid in Israel through the internet. I have advertisments for prevacid from outside the USA.

In any event, there is a significnat risk in not treating, even ignoring the pain. I get a endoscopy every few years to make sure there is no cancer (it may run in my family).

There are pros and cons to medication versus surgery. I know someone who had complications from the surgery and I try to avoid surgery and anethesia when I can. On the other hand, I asked my GI doc if prevacid was safe over the long term. He said--look you're 40 and the drug is relatively new, no one has ever taken it for 40 or 50 years, so who knows about the real long term. I decided to put off surgery for a while, thinking that surgical techniques will improve over time. That's my 2 cents worth.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

2/28/05 1:18 PM

Wow, I never realized that there could be serious consequences to GERD. I thought ok, so you have heartburn from water for the rest of your life... But I didn't think that it could really ruin your esophagus or cause cancer C"V! Thank you Chanie and Yaakov for your mesaages, I think I will make a dr. appointment ASAP!!!

Bottom

Sara
Junior Supporter

4/27/05 9:58 AM

I have suffered from GERD for a couple of years now. GERD is a chronic condition that can be kept under control by watching one's diet (avoiding highly acidic foods, caffine, chocolate, high-carb diets) and modifying one's lifestyle. If the condition gets out of control Proton-pump Inhibitors (PPI's) are very successful in eliminating the pain and allowing one's body to heal itself, after which time watching one's diet should be the only prescription needed.

It is very important though not to ignore the condition. GERD can escalate into something very serious if not treated properly. There's information all over the Web on GERD, but this one is very comprehensive:

http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_gastroesophageal_reflux_disease_heartburn_000085_1.htm

Bottom

msy
Junior Supporter

4/28/05 3:29 AM

I suffer from heartburn ranging from once a week, to a few times a week. When i saw my dr about this, i had had a few symptoms over that week, all stress related. I had heartburn, constipation, and nasuea. My dr concluded that i have ibs. he didn't mention anything about GERD. yet i suffering from heartburn and constipation. are they any way related? and is it better to treat the ibs, or the heartburn? right now i take zantac, but it helps only a little.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

4/28/05 4:21 AM

I don't think that constipation and GERD are connected as GERD is a problem related to the small intestine and constipation is strictly due to problems in the large instestine.

By the way guys, I finally found medication that works for me, Losec. And the doctor gave me a referral for an endoscopy and test for Heliobacter pylori, which is a bacteria that often mimics ulcer pain!

Chag kasher vesameach!!

Bottom

Yaakov
Junior Supporter

4/28/05 9:51 AM

Good. You are on the right track. Those are the tests I had done when my doctor diagnosed hiatal hernia/GERD.
The endoscopy is important to rule out Barrett's esophagus, which I understand can be cancerous. The endoscopy is an easy, relatively painless test, although the drugs they give you mean someone will need to drive you home. Best wishes.

Bottom

msy
Junior Supporter

4/28/05 10:00 PM

Losec is a drug my dr prescribed for me actually too. it's great, but it's pretty expensive here in the states. i get them from australia, where it's $20 per box, as opposed to here where it's around $100??

Bottom

cd123
Supporter

11/28/06 9:06 PM

I have Crohn's disease and GERd.
While my Crohn's is in remission, GERD is usually too. Prevacid keeps GERD in control, I found it to be a really good drug for acid reflux.

Bottom

Donald Duck
Supporter

3/10/07 9:32 PM

I found Nexium worked best for me

-------------------------
D Duck

Bottom

FORUMS > GERD Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.