Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

FORUMS > Tay Sachs
Replying to Topic: Late-Onset Tay Sachs
Created On 4/8/05 5:53 PM by torahpsych

Username:
Password:

Remember my login

[ Forget your login information? | Join the forums ]

torahpsych
Junior Supporter

4/8/05 5:53 PM

I am wondering if anyone who is reading this has heard of, is involved with or knows about Late Onset Tay Sachs (LOTS). this is a mutation of the regular tay sachs gene, in that instead of there being no Hex A in the cells, so that the nerve cells die after a few years, there is a small residual amount that enables the cells to live much longer. As a result, Nerve cells begin to show deterioration only when the person is an adolescent or older, and the disease develops over decades instead of years. Symptons range from tremors and slurred speech, slow muscle wasting and cramps to, in some cases, limited mobility, swallowing issues, etc. My son was diagnosed with this several years ago, but I have not met another frum person who is experiencing this. Anyone who has heard of this or knows about it, please chime in.

Edited: 4/8/05 at 5:55 PM by torahpsych

Bottom

hb
Supporter

4/10/05 1:14 AM

Gut Voch,
I was wondering if you are in touch with Rabbi Yossel Ekstein from Dor Yesharim. He might be helpful in connecting you with other parents struggling with the same disease. He's the founder/director of Dor Yesharim, and had Taysachs children himself. He's probably your best bet for "parent matching". 1-718-384-6060
Also, try http://www.ntsad.org/ is a website for taysachs related diseases including LOTS and Neiman Pick Disease etc.. They have message boards where you may also find other frum families.
Hatzlocha Rabbah.
HB

Edited: 4/10/05 at 1:16 AM by hb

Bottom

torahpsych
Junior Supporter

11/26/06 8:38 PM

I have been in touch with rabbi ekstein, who was very kind regarding having my children tested via Dor yeshorim. he could not link me to anyone in the US who is frum and experiencing the same issues.

I know it's been one and a half years since i first posted, but I forgot about this site until I saw an ad on the Arutz Sheva site. Fascinating that in that time, no one else has followed this thread either. i guess it really is as rare as they said.

Bottom

hb
Supporter

11/27/06 9:25 AM

How's your son doing at this time? You might want to try foundations that research this disease. They sometimes offer a parent to parent program.
You should also try Yahoo groups, they have disease specific support groups.
Hatzlacha!!

Bottom

lifesaver1
Junior Supporter

2/4/07 1:02 AM
User is offline View users profile

my sister was recently diagnosed with Late onset tay-sachs
and I am wondering if anyone can point me towards some information
regarding what we can expect and perhaps if there is anything that
we as her family should be doing for her.
If anyone has any information it would be much appreciated.
zey gezhunt

-------------------------
To know what is right is Ruach HaKodesh, To know what is wrong and remain yet silent transforms simple cowardice into great obscenity. -R'n Faige Teitlebaum-

Bottom

torahpsych
Junior Supporter

5/4/10 4:10 PM

to the person whose sister has been diagnosed with LOTS. I don't know what the rules are for this foirum if you could contact me directly. My son is now 26 and coping well; we have learned a lot and would be happy to share what we know. I am going to list my e-mail address, and welcome your getting in touch:
torahpsych@sbcglobal.net
B'Hatzlocha

Bottom

FORUMS > Tay Sachs

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.