Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: SmOkInG
Created On 11/30/05 1:31 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

switchbladexxx
Junior Supporter

11/30/05 1:31 AM

im a female, freshman in college. and, yes, im addicted to cigarettes. ive tried quiting many times but because of my depression and all of my stress and anxiety i fall back on the nasty habit, which turns to more than jsut a habbit, but an addiction. girls just arent supposed to smoke. many guys smoke but jewish girls are totaly and completely looked down upon for this. its so hard! i started because i was bored and just wanted something to do. so i was like ill see what its like. and then it just became something i did more and more...until i realized i just couldnt stop. i just NEEDED one "last" cigarette. uch. gross. and the worst part of it is. i dont even REALLY mind. i dont think its so gross, i just want to stop because most other people look down on it...ALOT. and hi, i want to get married one day, but who's gonna marry a girl who smokes? just wondering- has anyone else got sucked into this terrible annoying addiction?

Bottom

frumtherapist
Supporter

11/30/05 1:52 PM

Switch - You might be a girl, but your right, addiction doesn't discriminate. It cuts across all lines of gender, culture, wealth, etc.
Nicotine addiction is one of the hardest addictions to overcome; the average smoker attempts to quit 4-6 times before successfully quitting for good. Nicotine enters your body as a gas, and almost immediately hits the pleasure pathways in your brain.
I will share some thoughts. Don't despair; although it is hard to quit an addiction, it IS doable- I'd be out of business it it wasn't.
Find yourself an addictions therapist and/or a Recovery support group- you can use ALL the healthy support you can get to get through the tough times. Expect to invest a complete year of effort and struggle in this - I know some people who reported to me that they thought they were in the clear after 6 months, but the truth is, you are really vulnerable to relapse for a full year - after that, you've achieved something truly meaningful.
Provide yourself with incentives - positive and negative reinforcements:
e.g. A: everytime you smoke a cigarette, give $20 to the political party you hate! (you can also give it to your favorite charity; whatever works for you)
DO it for real though- it works if you work it!
B: After 1 week of abstinence, treat yourself to something. After 30 days, treat yourself to something nicer. After 6 months, and after 1 year - pre-plan what these incentives will be; make them progressively bigger and more special.
C: Add up how much money you spend on cigarettes - figure out what you'll do with all the money you've saved.
D: Do you have a spiritual life? Do you pray? Make your quitting journey an integral part of your prayers - read up on the 12 Steps and its concept of a Higher Power and "giving it over" - an active spiritual life can be really helpful!

These are all concrete ideas about how to go about your attempt at quitting - feel free to ask me anything you are unclear about...
and Hatzlacha! Just contemplating about your unhealthy habit is a big step in the right direction!

Edited: 11/30/05 at 1:53 PM by frumtherapist

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

4/30/06 11:28 PM

hehe. that used to be me. i'd forgotten my old name thing and made a new one. anway i'm happy to say i've stopped smoking. weee.

Bottom

emptysmile
Supporter

5/9/06 3:46 PM

you stopped smoking weed?
lol
no seriously was that weed or weeeeeeeeeeeee like yeah!!
when u tell me im goin to feel very stupid...
lol
but weed isnt good. ive smoke it and i actually didnt feel anything (the first time)

-------------------------
"life is like a box of chocolates always too many nuts and never enough caramels."

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

6/7/06 10:51 PM

Originally posted by: emptysmile
you stopped smoking weed?
lol
no seriously was that weed or weeeeeeeeeeeee like yeah!!
when u tell me im goin to feel very stupid...
lol
but weed isnt good. ive smoke it and i actually didnt feel anything (the first time)

sorry i never saw this. it was weeeeeeee like in "yay" though i havent smoked weed in a while either so i guess it goes for anything smokable.

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

10/31/06 4:07 PM

How can I help a friend of mine, (also a female btw, KLY) who smokes to deal w/ her situation? She has it really hard and smokes to get some relief. She can sometimes smoke 5-6 cigars a day and then go w/o any for 4-5 days... She knows it harms her, but doesn't care, (or does care, but feels the need to smoke anyway). It really hurts me to see her harming herself this way.
Any suggestions are really appreciated.
Thank you

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

11/6/06 7:50 PM

hey i just noticed your reply. i don't know if this is true or not but i think different people get addicted different amounts. like it honestly wasnt THAT hard for me to quit. like i just said "i'm going to quit. i want to feel healtheir." and i just quit. and once in a while i slipped up but hardly at all. and whenever i did have just one cigarette it really was just one. i didnt feel the need to have 20. i was able to just have one. and now once in a while i get a craving for one but i'm able to just tell myself to forget about it. other people who've quit have had a lot harder times with it. even people who were smoking for a very short period of time.
so i don't know what there is to do to help her since i didn't have such a big struggle with it.

all i can suggest is looking on the internet or in the library for ways to help her.

sorry.

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

11/7/06 9:39 PM

Hey, it's okay. I'm glad it was rather easy for you. I might check online for sites ?
Happy to hear you're on your way to a healthier lifestyle (2) !!

Way to go!!

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

1/23/08 12:31 PM

haha im just a dork i started again. i just saw that i'd posted this i forgot all about that. my original post was from '05! it seems like yesterday. so weird how time goes by so quickly!

addictions are so dumb and i feel like they just breed off of one another. like once you have one you start others to try to calm the stress or anxiety and/or other "side effects" caused by the presence, or the lack (withdrawal symptoms i suppose they're called), of another addiction (wow that was one annoying sentence). anyone else find this to be true?

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

1/23/08 10:59 PM

I've never smoked, so I can't say about that, but with the addiction thing in general, yeah.
Like now, lately, idk why, probably having to do with what's going on in T... I find that I need to feel some control so I've sort of taken it to the food - How much I eat...
It's soo stupid of me, bec. the last thing I need right now is another 'addiction'/problem, and I know it, but I'm still doing it (not too much, but what scares me is that that's how almost everything starts off).
So yeah...
I feel pretty confident saying that I've stopped SI-ing, (this Fri. will be 1 month free) but if I'm starting this...
Idk anything anymore. I'm just very confused right now.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Addiction < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.