Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Compulsive overeating
Created On 3/12/06 7:33 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Emotional
Junior Supporter

3/12/06 7:33 PM

I really do have a problem, and it is on many levels. Not on ly do I eat large amounts when I'm not hungry, but when I AM hungry, I am insatiable. I simply can not tolerate the feeling of hunger. I know I need professional help, but I can't afford it & also nobody in my family realizes that I have this problem, and I prefer to keep it that way.
Is there anyone out there who is familiar with OA, and if it can help me? Is anyone willing to be my sponsor & give me the encouragement & support I need to stick to a healthy diet for life?

-------------------------
Emotional

Bottom

Supporter

5/12/06 2:04 PM

The Overeaters Anonymous groups deal extensively with the emotional factors involved in overeating. Such a group may help you. Also talking out your emotional issues with a good friend or therapist can help.

Don't have the junk in the house.

Bottom

eagle wings
Supporter

8/12/06 4:16 PM

Dear emotional,
I think you will have to agree that your overeating is obviously
being caused by something other than hunger per se. Usually
the factors are varied. You have to look closely and ask yourself
"WHAT am I getting out of this eating?" A surge of waking-up caffine?
A surge of energy from sugar? A feeling that you can do what you want?
An angry "getting back" at someone? A running away from problems?

For your first step try and make a diary for two weeks- when you
eat, what you eat, are you hungry or not? Other feelings (anger,
depressed, tired, hopeless, etc.). Are you alone or with others?
At home or away? Write down any "rationals" you told yourself:
re like:
-I suffered this, so I can eat...
- At the party I didn't eat, so now at home I can
-Well I messed up already today
-I can't control myself
etc etc etc

feel free to private message me.

-------------------------
"Let GO and Let G_D"

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

9/12/06 1:04 PM

this kinda goes with eaglewings response. i dunno if you're interested in this kind of thing or not but if you go to www.self.com you can sign up for their "reach your goal" plan (its free). on there you record everything you eat and you say when you ate it and where you were and how you were feeling at the time and you write how hungry you were. you dont have to do this online if you dont want to, i just personaly find it easier than hand writing it. but you can use that same idea and like eaglewings said, do it in a diary or something. basicly it gets you to think about why you ate and to see the pattern in your eating habbits. that information is very important in using to help change and break the pattern.

some helpful tips (if you want to try them out):
only eat in your kitchen or dining room, sitting down at a table
when you have an urge to binge fill a glass with water and drink the whole thing (this gives you time to think about what you want to do and also water helps you fill up)- and drinking water is good for you anyway.
try making yourself eat a salad next time you're hungry or feel a "hunger attack" or whatever you want to call it coming. eat alot of salad, an apple. try to fill yourself up with the healthy stuff so even if you still have that urge to eat the not healthy stuff you prob. wont eat as much of it as you normaly would. and really eat all the salad. keep eating it till you're full. dont say "oh well whatever i'll just eat the other stuff". YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!
and seriously, try drinking lots of water, it really does help with the hunger.
try chewing gum when you want to eat (and i dont mean when you want to eat reasonable amounts of food- i'm not saying to quit eating totaly).
AND MAKE SURE TO EAT MEALS. do not feel guilty about sitting down for a nice lunch! one prob that some people have is that they feel guilty about a binge they had so they wont eat for a bit and then they feel deprived so they eat a ton. set mealtimes and make sure you're getting those three meals a day. and try to make them filling and nutritious.

also do you exercise? exercise can help you feel better about yourself.

i'm not a dietician (dont even know how to spell the word), not a nutritionist, not a doctor, but i've been where you are. and if you need somone to "talk" to you can message me.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Addiction < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.