Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: correct diagnosis
Created On 6/21/11 8:15 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

reach4thestars
Senior Supporter

6/21/11 8:15 PM

So I have this confusion going on and any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
How does someone know if they have bipolar disorder versus borderline personality disorder?
My therapist is trying to help me figure it out, my psychatrist is unsure... basically the issue is that bipolar is genetic in my family and though I have had several "downs", I haven't experienced any dramitic ups... my therapist thinks it may be bipolar2 because besides for lack of dramatic "ups" I have some of the "down" symptoms. She thinks that I have borderline as well...
So can you all give your opnions????!!!!
any experiences would be great as well!
Thanks

Bottom

I'mTrying
Senior Supporter

6/21/11 9:13 PM

Yeah. I had the same story. My psychiatrist also thought I was bipolar2 bc I was dealing with depression and also 'ups'. As time went on it was revised and my diagnosis became bipolar NOS (i think). We began thinking it was borderline bc I cycled much more quickly than usually ppl do, and it seemed to be more reactive than random. My psychiatrist also specializes in affective disorders so it took a while to figure out that I'm probably not in that categorie.
I'm no psychiatrist but I think the main difference is that bipolar is a biological/ chemical imbalance thing and borderline is a behavioural/ personality issue- meaning that moods usually are in reaction to s/t, not just random.
There are many websites out there about borederline, but I don't suggest you try to self-diagnose. my personal opinion is to take a look at yourself with your therapist and try to figure out what's going on when you fall into a 'downer', and when you start feeling 'high'. Did something happen that it may be a reaction to? Are you generally sensitive?
There are I think 9 criteria for bpd u need 5 to be 'diagnosed' as having bpd.
When I first heard that i may have borderline, it freaked me out. But there are treatments that are effective and can help a person to health- without need to take meds for the rest of their lives.
I just want to reiterate that I am not a doctor, just wanna help out.
Good luck! pls let me kow what happened.

Bottom

I'mTrying
Senior Supporter

6/21/11 9:16 PM

I just want to add that some people have some sort of combination of bp and bpd. Both can be treated, albeit in very different ways.

Bottom

reach4thestars
Senior Supporter

6/28/11 4:22 PM

Thanks for the quick responce! So the deal is that I'm not sure yet, and my psychologist isn't sure either though its weighing towards bpd bc I have normal ups if I ever actually feel any emotion besides for blah. (And I'm going off zoloft and feeling semi-normal now.). I'm going to the psychatrist and hoping and praying we can come to a conclusion soon!

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/6/11 9:43 PM
User is offline View users profile

best of luck!
i know sometimes the not knowing what to label it as makes things so much harder...

Bottom

reach4thestars
Senior Supporter

7/8/11 5:25 PM

Thanks for ur support every1! I have a label whoooohoo

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/10/11 1:40 PM
User is offline View users profile

congraqts!!!!would you care to share it?
its totaly ok if not....

Bottom

reach4thestars
Senior Supporter

7/10/11 5:54 PM

My psycholigist and psychiatrist both think its borderline. But bec. Of my severe mood swings I'm on a mood stabilizer. Wtvr- my philosphy is whatever it is as long as the meds help and are a short term thing that help me work through me crap; let it be.
And thanx for ur concern!

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

7/14/11 6:34 PM

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I find that sometimes the diagnostic labels are superficial and useless, and at other times the diagnosis really does have an impact on the coarse of treatment. Being on a mood stabilizer is useful for people suffering from borderline personality disorder and people with bipolar.
a lynn

Bottom

reach4thestars
Senior Supporter

7/20/11 9:33 PM

thank you.

Bottom

moshe
Supporter

7/27/11 10:29 PM

reach4thestars,
bipolar disorder has to do with your Mood. Borderline personality disorder has to do with Personality. It is very difficult to have "wrong" personality. It is more of theoretical thing than an actual reality. It is similar to what people say I am yeshivish/modern orthodox/etc. In reality there is no such a person as yeshivish, etc. people just attach a label to themselves in comparison to others.
So you don't have to worry about BPD. It almost dosn't exist. But you do have to be concerned with depression, etc.
Also every person can find out more about what doctors are talking about by going to Weekipedia, etc

Bottom

reach4thestars
Senior Supporter

7/29/11 5:21 PM

Moshe- thanks for your responce. But to be open minded and accurate I must say that although one may have a diagnoses, a label that does not mean that they fit every criteria of their disorder perfectly. I don't know how much research you have done, nor how any books you have read but people that suffer from borderline do have mood swings- just not "abnormal, or high" swings- rather down and regular moods.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Bipolar < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.