Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: help for bipolar sufferers
Created On 6/15/05 5:06 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

isroel
Junior Supporter

6/15/05 5:06 PM

Dear Bipolar Disorder sufferers:

I have been in active treatment for B/D for the past 5 years. Based on my extensive experience dealing with this adversity, I would like to share my advice with u to help u become feeling better sooner. It may take u between 2 months to several years to completely stabilize your mood, depending on your mazal. Therefore I recommend that u take several steps.
1st step is to educate yourself about your disorder. It is a very complex illness and u need to know as much as possible about it. This familiarity will help u to articulate your symptoms more clearly, understand different manifestations of it and side effects of meds. It will also provide some comfort knowing that others have experienced what u are going through now. I recommend that u buy all these publications: (a) pb Magazine (specifically for Bipolar at www.bphope.com) (b) Surviving Manic Depression (c) Bipolar Disorder: Treatment and management .(b) and (c) u can order from Barnes & Nobles.
2nd step Finding the “right” psychiatrist can mean the difference between ½ years to 5 years of treatment. I had to change 5 M.D.’s because of their indifference/incompetence/expensiveness. Average experienced psych. charges between $400-$500 an hour. It is worth to pay that to alleviate your suffering.
Ask your doctor to draw an algorithm ( =a plan) of your treatment because (a) it may take a long time to find the right combination of meds or/and u may need to switch to a different doctor. Thus u will always remain on top of your treatment. Maintain a chart of your daily mood fluctuations. Keep a good record of your experience with each med that you take. (Ex. period stayed on the med, its side effects) Similar meds produce same side effects.
Be patient to see the result of your treatment. I know that to live in suffering is very difficult, but don’t demand quick stabilization. Exercise several times a week. Avoid stress and pressure. Share your feelings with supportive, trusted people. Unfortunately u may run unto relatives and others who can’t appreciate your ordeal because of nature of your illness. Try to give them above-mentioned literature.
May Hashem grant u a quick recovery. My best wishes for your speedy recovery.

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

8/18/05 1:08 PM

good advice. thank you isroel! i'm curious, how long have you been sick? are you better? how long have you been better? thanks for your time in advance, isroel! talk to you soon (ttys)

torsalicious613

-------------------------
what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

perseverance
Junior Supporter

5/17/07 10:50 AM

I've suffered a lot and been through several doctors and thankfuly now, I'm with someone good. One of the big issues that I find with this whole thing is the toll it takes on your self-image. Just knowing that you're not "normal" and only medications will prevent you from hurting yourself, being completely disfunctional etc. can almost paralyze you. The biggest struggle I ever had was several years ago I had a tremendous urge to be intimate with strangers. Thank G-d it didn't result in any horrible consequenses, but it was realy bad! That hasn't been an issue for a while. I know that in general, I am very well liked and pretty talented and if only I had the right self-confidence, I would be a mover and a shaker. But understandibly, with all my bagage, I fell quite paralyzed.

perseverance

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/17/07 7:21 PM

good Advice isroel
perseverence or somthing like that what do you meanyou feel paralyzed?

Bottom

MadeIt
Junior Supporter

5/21/07 10:24 AM

hey!
Israol would u be intrested in joining our BP-chat?
And anyone else is also welcome.

Bottom

Aila
Junior Supporter

5/30/07 8:34 PM

I would like to join up if I could. I live in an out-of-town community where there are less opportunities out there, even though doctors are covered.

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/30/07 8:44 PM

sorry guys i would join IYH but B"H i do not suffer from bipolar -its depression for me

Bottom

ezrah
Supporter

9/1/07 4:36 PM

lets tryy agaoin

Please pm me if you have any questions.

Bottom

Officeguy
Junior Supporter

3/3/08 9:04 AM

I agree with your descriptions regarding BP: specifically perseverance and paralysis. We will all fall, but the real loser is the individual who stays down and does not get up and keep trying. Self image is absolutely the core of it all, whether it is the impetus or the result.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Bipolar < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.