Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: moms with bi-polar
Created On 6/17/05 6:26 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

newatthis
Junior Supporter

6/17/05 6:26 AM

Hi, I was wondering if there are any moms out there who are dealing with this disorder. Before things went bad i was a wonderful mom with so much love and time to spend and enjoy my children. Then one day everything changed and i didnt know yet that i had this disorder so i just thought that i really was just a bad mom. Once i was diagnosed and put on meds the real mom was able to come out and once again enjoy her children. Its amazing what medication can do. I also wanted to see if anyone is experiencing shaking from their medication? One of my bigest fears as a mom with this disorder is that G-d forbid one of my children will inherit this. Im always looking for sighns. I have decided that i can not feel responsible if such a thing did occur because Hashem has his master plan. I hope that there are moms out there who would share their stories .

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

6/19/05 3:23 PM

i am not a mom, but iy''h, some day i will be. i know being bipolar is hard, i have lived with it for 9 years and i am 22. i went to israel last year and joined a bipolar support group. i met a few bipolar moms. from the little time i had to meet them, they seemed like great people and great moms, despite their illness. i am hopeful and confident that you will find your spark soon too, and if you have found it already, that it stays with you forever, or at least for many more years to come. yes, medications for bpd, especially depakote and escalith (lithium), can make you shake. i am not a doctor, but ask your doctor about the anticonvulsant cogentin. it has a few adverse side effects too, like dry mouth, but at least your hands will become relatively more steady, your joints will stiffen up (in a good way), and if you are like me, your head will not resemble that of a bobblehead doll anymore. best wishes,

torsalicious

-------------------------
what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

newatthis
Junior Supporter

6/24/05 2:25 PM

Hi, I know that there are mothers out there that are dealing with bi-polar disorder. I feel it is so important for us to share our stories, our struggles and our successes with each other. Please dont be afraid to share. This site is a safe place for us to do that. Please , i know you are out there. Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

6/24/05 2:57 PM

Hello Newatthis!

I just sent you a private message. Would you be kind enough to look at.

Thanks,
Good Shabbos!

Ernie

Bottom

oh brother!
Junior Supporter

6/26/05 2:31 AM

Hello newatthis. How NEW AT THIS are you? Did you always have symptoms but not diagnosis, or did the behaviors only appear recently in your life? Did you tell your children and are you guys going for family therapy? I also worry if anyone in the next generation will develop this disorder. But worring is not positive, and Hashem has a plan for each of us. My brother has Bipolar disorder and is married with children. He recently told his kids about his condition. They were getting older, and had witnessed several manic episodes and some of them began "acting out" so it was time to be upfront with them. Personally I believe the best thing is to tell the kids. the "unknown" is always worse then the truth. Ideally they should speakwith a family therapist. Everyone is affected, spouse, children, parents, siblings and needs to deal with it in order to make Healthy choices. In my own family, some people have spoken to their therapists and educated themselves about the disorder and others do not quite know how to deal with it so they act more as "enablers." Overall, I am really proud of my brother for how hard he works, and the amazing life he has built for himself. I can only imagine how difficult this disorder is.

oh brother!

Edited: 6/26/05 at 2:33 AM by oh brother!

Bottom

newatthis
Junior Supporter

6/27/05 7:25 PM

Hi, I was diagnosed at the age of 31 just 7 months ago. I am new at this yet unfortunatly have a lot of prior experience. My mother and her family suffer from bi-polar and a whole host of other severe mental illnesses such as schyzophrenia parden my spelling. So growing up was no picknick as you can imagine. My whole life i prayed that i would not inherit this. Being diagnosed was truelly my worst nightmare. When i went to my doctor i thought she would diagnose me with general anxiaty disorder and was just blown away when she gave me her diagnoses. Initially i excepted my disorder and then i found as i was struggling trying to find different medications that worked i became angry and am trying to deal with those feelings along with my symtoms. As far as telling my children i just recently told my almost 9 year old son about how my brain is missing certain chemicals that it needs to function properly which is why sometimes mommy feels out of control or sometimes very tired. He replied boruch hashem i dont have that and i just prayed that hashem gives him and my other children freedom from this illness. My husband at one time heard him tell a family member that my mother always takes out books on bi-polar and i dont understand why. He was also very aware that im taking medication. So who knows what he was thinking. It could be verry frightning for a child. So to all of you out there that think your children dont know whats going on they are smarter than you think. You are better of explaing then have them think that you are dying or hate them. Thank you for your reply and i hope to hear from you again soon. P.S im still waiting to hear from those moms out there.

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

7/27/05 11:06 PM

my mom doesn't want to talk on this site, she feels it is soley for me, and that since i am getting benefit from it, she doesn't want to interfere, aww, right? not! denial ain't just a river runnin through egypt. and unlike most rivers, it flows up, not down, so da nile will turn in to da real ization real soon because it's a rising thing, not a sinking thing, and you are bound to run into something that is rising than something that is sinking. i made that analygy/exemplification up myself. i like it actually. cute, huh? anyway, i gotta go. is this where i said my mom could put her two cents in? i don't remember now. good night everyone. pleasant dreams

tors

Bottom

ImaBP
Supporter

12/20/05 3:49 PM

Hi! I've been continuing to find support groups for BP's and came across this frum support site.
I've had BP since '88, but it was not diagnosed until 2004. There were names like chemical imbalance
etc. but my latest episode that put me in the hospital after having a baby, I was finally diagnosed.

I am a proud mother of a now 1 and 1/2 year old girl and she is such a joy!!!!!!!!!
My husband and I are dealing with my moods and I am on Meds. We made aliyah
May 2005 and we are hoping that we will find the right doctors. I just had a meeting
with a Psychologist, and bz"H", it will be a start to getting me on a plan.

I'm still going through the stresses and depressions, but that can be normal for all that we
are going through.
I worry also about my daughter getting this, but it's all in Hashem's hands.
I hope that I can be of support to my fellow BP's, for its vital.
I need to now focus on the good of BP. It can be disheartening for we are intelligent people.
I've missed my energy levels and my highs. Hoping to be able to accomplish something.
My retention is not good, and I tend to withdraw. I want to share with someone in our community
and scared too. Should I perhaps open up, maybe there are others? I fear of opening up, and I
am one to isolate myself. My mind can handle only so much and too much sharing brings on
bad headaches.
Does anyone else identify with the sensation of burning in the cranial area?
I get overwhelmed easily, and have not been able to handle Shabbos guests since
my year ago episode. I feel so guilty, but I need further help......
Any advice?

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/1/06 9:49 PM

my cranium burns sometimes, sometimes i try to rub it away, usually it goes away, not to scare you, maybe you should get an mri, and so should i for that matter, we should check to make sure there's nothing there like growths chas vesholom, that shouldn't be there or irritation or damage. NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE. just a precautionary measure. people say i have hypochonraical ideas, but you can never be too sure. a conscious person is a healthy person, so it always helps to be aware, although too much "being aware" is probably not good for you too. sometimes i get burning in my chest, my hert's probably not so healthy, i don't excersice enough and i eat a lot of junk. but then there i go being a possible hypochondriac again. maybe it's just heartburn. it doesn't help that i have mild ocd too, and that it has been shown that people w think they will get sick, or people who are afraid of it, often do, it's called self actualization, and it's kind of a form of pathetic self prophesy. not saying it always happens, but ever hear of "self fulfilling profesy"? there you go. i'm making up the thing about he self actualization of ocd, but i have read that people with more severe ocd have shown a higher tendency towards heart problems, strokes, and heart attacks. hey i didn't make this up, i read it. alright, i didn't read it but my mom did and she told me. isn't that the same thing? nothing can make you more paranoid than a paranoid overprotective mother ESPECIALLY when you're a girl. sheesh,

atara

Bottom

ImaBP
Supporter

1/2/06 2:55 AM

Hi Atara,
Cranial burning, yes I have that too. I actually had an appt. and cancelled it. I was scared, wasn't in the mood that day and
depressed. I haven't had the intensity or recurrence even though it strikes at different times. Yes, I try to rub it away too.
In sharing this, it seems people think you just make this up, but we know what we are experiencing.
Tomorrow I go to the Psychiatrist and will tell him, he may send me to get a test done, we'll see. Will let you know.
By the way what is ocd?
Had a wonderful last candlelighting at a friends and had a wonderful time. It was very spiritual. My daughter than said,
"prophesy" in Hebrew. Can't remember the word. She's only 17 months. I asked the Cohen what she said and he couldn't
believe it. He looked at her, and she looked back and it was as if they were connecting on a very deep level. He smiled and
kissed her. She was so into it. I had "goosebumps" all evening.

Today I drove into town for my first day of Ulpan. I was in a hurry being late and I'm driving with my knees and peeling an orange
for breakfast. Yeah, not a good example. A leftover donut and an orange was my breakfast and I washed it down with soda water.
I walk into class and the teacher is talking Russian. I glance around the room, perhaps a couple from Argentina. She then averts her
eyes to the couple I indentified from Argentina and she speaks Yiddish to them. I sit back relaxed and smile. Whew, at least I
understand Yiddish, so maybe I went be too lost.
Well, then she says class won't start to the following Sunday. Driving home I drive past a burro walking on the road. Hmmn, somehow
he lost his way I thought, Only in Israel! : )
Have a wonderful day and embrace this last day of Chanukah!!!!!!!!!!
Ima

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/4/06 5:46 PM

i think cranial burning can be from thinking too much, or having too many different ideas that oppose eachother in your head at once. lol, a lame explination, but a possiblity. anyway, the word you would be thinking of is "nevuah", (yes, i still remember things from all my years at a religious school and all the years, okay well, just 4 at my parochial private all girls' high school, same school the whole way from prek to 12th grade, btw, i just like to think of them as two different experiences-- they were very different from eachother in some ways but very similar in some ways as well). ocd=obsessive compulsive disorder, which in addition to all my other ailments i have, whoopie. talk to you soon, bpima, or is it imabp? i always forget, don't have the screen up right now and i don't want to risjk losing my post. anyway, a quick and hearty "hi" to everyone else, motcha, lookinforhelp, gotmusic, schluffer, ernie, everyone else, have a good week, and may no one experience the cranial "burning" me and my bipolar brooke shields look a like twin (who's much thinner and prettier than me, btw) experience. bye y'all! talk to y'all again soon. bye

atara

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Bipolar < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.