Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Mothers To Be with Bipolar
Created On 12/18/05 1:25 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

shlufer2005
Junior Supporter

12/18/05 1:25 AM

Are there any moms or moms to be that were diagnosed before marriage? before pregnancy?
what meds where you taking? advised to take? how did your Ob/Gyn, Pysch,Therapist and husband manage your care to keep you stable through pregnancy?

-------------------------
whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger so pass the cryptonite...

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

12/18/05 9:04 PM

Hello Shlufer and welcome to the site,

I assume you are asking for yourself, so I can only wish you well if that is the case.

As far as your personal line of ... pass the cryptonite, I am an expert on THAT subject as I never missed Superman as a child.
Cryptonite could kill Superman if he were exposed to it too long (B"H that never happened), but he is never shown to be stronger after an encounter with it.

Perhaps a smile can help you through a difficult time

Ernie

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

12/19/05 4:52 PM

i am curious about this too. i hope to be a mom someday once i get married (iy''h) and i wonder about taking the medication too, and how it will affect the baby/ unborn fetus. anyone have any ideas?

atara

what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

shlufer2005
Junior Supporter

12/26/05 9:45 PM

well I am married to a wonderful woman who was diagnoised at the age of 17 and had her 3rd (b"H and non since) episode when she was 25 and has been stable since.
We both want to have children badly but are discouraged by both our doctors, therapists and rabonim as of right now. so I was wondering if there were any mothers who are or where in a similar situation and how they went about having children with this diagnoisis

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

12/27/05 7:56 AM

Hello Shlufer,

I hope all the youngsters who post here about their concerns about getting married because they have a mental illness read your post.
It is uplifting to see that you looked past your wife's diagnosis and saw the good qualities she had and realized she would be a good wife despite her condition.

Have you ever considered adoption, since it sounds like a pregnancy would be risky for your wife?

Hatzlacha with everything,
Ernie

Bottom

shlufer2005
Junior Supporter

12/27/05 7:06 PM

adoption no way would rather never have any kids than adopt
takes a special type of person to be a really good adoptive parent and I do not feel that I am.
anyhow my wife and I do want to search all options before we throw in the towel

Bottom

ImaBP
Supporter

12/28/05 10:28 AM

Shlufer, Hi, Ima here. How long has your wife been stable so to speak. I spoke with my doctor. I told him I would like more
children, but he said at this time it would not be wise because I just went through a manic episode a year ago to be exact, but
he gave me hope, in not so many words though. He said lets try to keep you stable for awhile and down the road we can
see how you do. I have 3 children, B"H, but I was not taking meds at the time. I had my 2 children at the tender age of 18 and 20,
and I didn't know anything about BPD even though I probably had hidden symptoms, mostly a sad child growing up and very shy.
I had a child when I was 40 and that was also before I was on any meds, and five months after having her I went on meds.

I've had several episodes and hospitalized however wasn't told what I had and I threw away Lithium in '88 when I was 25, and didn't
have any episodes until 1999 when I went on a trip to Israel with my Dad. That was a real woozy of a manic episode and it scared
my father. I was in the hospital for 8 weeks, however they didn't tell me I had BP. Of course you guessed it when I went back to the
states, I was no longer on the meds and the following year went to Israel again and the same thing happened and a psychiatrist
got me off and said it was the Jerusalem syndrome, so you can see I have been totally blinded by what I had until a year ago. I was
shocked!!!! To say the least. I thought I just had some nervous breakdown because of a divorce I went through.
But now I'm totally off the subject, sorry.
Shlufer, don't throw the towel in, talk to your doctors. Depending on what your wifes taking and her needs comes first. I read somewhere
on this sight that a woman got pregnant and it was the most miserable time, so look into everything, but be sure that your docs follow
your wife. Hope this helps.
Be well! ImaBP

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

12/28/05 9:28 PM

Shlufer,

Yes, it takes a special kind of person. Caring, loving, devoted, to name a few. One would hope that parents of a biological child would have those same qualities.

Bottom

hisbonenus
Junior Supporter

12/30/05 2:48 AM

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/1/06 9:36 PM

good site although i don't see the specific info about lithium. could you maybe help me out wth this? thanks

atara

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/2/06 8:56 PM

Here is an article saying celexa may be safe for pregnancy. Of course, consult your doctor. But people should realise moms on meds give birth commonly.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=healthNews&storyID=2005-12-16T162347Z_01_FLE658972_RTRIDST_0_HEALTH-CELEXA-PREGNANCY-DC.XML&archived=False

Celexa use in pregnancy relatively safe: study
Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:23 PM GMT

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - The antidepressant citalopram (Celexa) may be used cautiously in pregnant women, according to a report from Canada. The researchers report no excess birth defect risk, although an increased risk of "poor neonatal adaptation syndrome" was seen with late use of the drug.

Symptoms of poor neonatal adaptation syndrome include jitteriness, irritability, eating and sleeping difficulties, convulsions, vomiting, and low blood sugar; these symptoms are usual transient and not life-threatening.

Overall, the researchers say, "our data suggest that pregnant women who require pharmacotherapy with citalopram may continue their treatment during pregnancy with close monitoring of their condition by a qualified medical professional."

Previous studies investigating the safety of citalopram during pregnancy failed to demonstrate an increased risk of birth defects, the authors further explain in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Nevertheless, some women choose to discontinue their drug therapy during pregnancy out of fear of harming the unborn child.

Anna Sivojelezova and colleagues from The Hospital for Sick Children and the University of Toronto, Ontario, investigated whether citalopram use during pregnancy was associated with an increased risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes, including birth defects and neonatal complications, in 396 women.

The researchers report in that among 108 women exposed to citalopram during the first trimester, only one baby was born with a major malformation, a case of umbilical and scrotal hernia necessitating surgical correction.

The rate of perinatal complications after third trimester exposure to citalopram was not increased over that in women not exposed to citalopram, but the risk of neonatal intensive care unit admission increased fourfold.

The investigators believe that the increased rate of neonatal intensive care unit admission may have resulted from an increased incidence of poor neonatal adaptation syndrome, which has previously been reported after late pregnancy exposure to citalopram and other so-called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). However, more study is needed to prove this mechanism beyond doubt, the authors say.

"In summary," the team writes, "our findings do not support an association between citalopram with any major teratogenic risk in humans."

SOURCE: American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology November 2005.

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/3/06 8:59 PM

what about lithium, ativan, and/or zyprexa?

atara

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/17/06 10:57 PM

i hope i'm better by the time i'm a mother!

atara

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Bipolar < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.