Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Brother with Bipolar
Created On 1/22/06 1:41 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

sister
Junior Supporter

1/22/06 1:41 PM

My brother has had Bipolar since he was 13. He is now 28 years old. He has had ups and downs throughout this time period. Although he has been on meds he has never been completely "normal". His good times dont usually last for extended periods of time because he does not like to take meds and will go off of them. Because he is no longer a kid my parents can not force him to take his meds and must wait till he is off them long enough that he can be forced to go to the hospital. Right now he is in the hospital. He has been there for like 3 months now and is not improving. If you have any advice for me or my brother please reply.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

1/22/06 7:48 PM

It might be impossible to get your brother to take his medication daily, but clearly it would be an important accomplishment if it can be achieved.

You can ask the doctor if it's a good idea to slip meds in his food without his knowing.

It sometimes helps to have a friend or rabbi that he respects explain to him that the Torah says that it is an obligation to listen to the doctor.

When you spend time with him, and he wants to talk about how he's been nervous in the past, try to shift to other topics.

If his tefillin have not been checked twice in the last seven years, it would be a good idea to have them checked.

Hope to hear good news

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/22/06 10:23 PM

bp is very hard. i want to say i wish you the best, but it's not always that easy. i do wish you luck though, and luck with convincing your bro to take his meds. sure, they aint pleasant, i know because i have to take them evey night, but sorry to say it or not sorry to say it, they help over time. i hate hate hate taking them. but i know i have to. i also know the more i take them now, the more likely the chance is that i won't have to take them later. share this with your brother, if you'd like. i have to go to bed now, good night, and i wish you all the best. good luck!!!

atara

-------------------------
what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/22/06 10:24 PM

gad, the tefillin thing is very interesting. i also heard the same thing about checking the parchments of your mezuzos in your house. is there a correlation between the two?

curious,
atara

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

1/23/06 2:27 AM

Is there a corelation between tefillin and mezuzos?

It seems so. They are both in the same verse in the shema. They both remind us Hashem Echad (G-d is One). They both add protection for the Jewish people.

An interesting distinction is, that while tefilin is a mitzva for a man personally, mezuza is a mitzva for the house, and women are referred to as Ikeres Habayis (the mainstay of the house).

Of course, mezuza is a mitzva for men too, but in a way it has a special connection to women.

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/23/06 11:49 AM

hmm, interesting..

atara

Bottom

eagle wings
Supporter

1/24/06 7:12 AM

Dear Sister,
Your brother will probably not take medication consistantly until he really internalizes the fact that life with BP without meds is so bad that it is worthwhile to take the meds (which are not easy meds to take.).

"Let GO and Let G_D"

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/24/06 4:48 PM

i agree with you eagle wings. that's how i learned! but now, i'm hoping to get off iy''h, slowly, very slowly. but even me and my doctor talked about it today. 30 years ago, i would have been sent to a mental hospital for five years! medicine has come a long way and i would not be where i am today without it. it did it's job and then some. i am now at the point where i am seeing if i even need it anymore. if i do, i will take it because i know it will increase my chances of getting off of it some day. and if i don't, hallelu*ah! thank g-d this nesayon is finally over and i can start the next one.NEEEEEXXT?.....

ATARA

Bottom

eagle wings
Supporter

1/25/06 6:49 PM

Atara, I hope you will someday be able to stop meds. As for the next nissiyon? Gee, you are mature to realize that there will surely be one. So many people aren't ready to internalize that. I feel that I moved from "Nissiyon class 101 " to class 202 and 303. I think I would prefer NOT to get a bacheler's degree LOL

"Let GO and Let G_D"

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/26/06 2:47 PM

yeah, there will always be nesyonim. but we can fool the nisyonim. private message me, and i'll tell you more about it.

p.s. you probably now how to do that already, since you've graduated from nisyonim school and you've taken the courses 50, 100, 101, 102, and 103, so you say, lol. but if you don't know how to do it yet..as i haven't taken any of these "classes" and i have kind of come to this realization on my own-- sarcasm. sarcasm is the answer. like i said, private message me if you want to know more, i will elaborate on how well my sarcasmic ways have helped me and will welcome you into my world of how to use sarcasm to your advantage and how to fool the satan and how to fool people you hate into loving you and how to fool people who wish to harm you into wanting to help you. it's an art, and i am proud to say i have perfeted it to a "t". okay, i still have some learning to do, but i am a little ahead in that dept. isn't everyone? we all have something to learn-- and to teach.

atara

Bottom

eagle wings
Supporter

1/26/06 5:10 PM

Sorry, sarcasm is not for me. A light joke, yes... but sarcasm (especially around kids-- I'm a mom)-- tends to hurt others. (Kids don't know how to react to sarcasm.)

"Let GO and Let G_D"

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/26/06 7:45 PM

hmm good point

atara

Bottom

mominpain
Junior Supporter

11/15/09 11:36 AM

i am a mom with a BP daughter (31). she is in complete denial and refuses to take any meds. she has been clearly diagnosed from several top psychiatrists. (altho from age 19-29 she was hospitalized by her own request, and took all meds religiously). as a result of being off her meds, she is living a wild and reckless life that gets worse and worse all the time. she cannot work, but because she is beautiful she finds men to take her in and support her for a while. that;'s not even the worst of her actions, but i cant mention any more on a frum website.

my husband and i have tried 4 times to get her to a hospital to get her back on meds. our last attempt was several weeks ago. we had the police come with an ambulance. they took her to the hospital in handcuffs (rachmana) because of her resistance. when she got to the hospital she carried on so, and was utterly uncooperative, so they released her after 1 night. now she has disappeared and we dont even know her whereabouts. she considers my husband and i her worst enemies. believe me, we are loving parents who have tried everthing, but dont know how to keep her from destroying her life. i mean, we now realize there is really nothing we can do. but we have gone thru torment, and our feellings range from terrible pain, to terror about her whereabouts and who she is with, to anger, to frustration. now i just cry and cry and cry.

Striving for emunah pshuta; to accept with love. Everything comes from the One who is All Good.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

11/16/09 12:55 AM

I hope that you with your husband and daughter will soon be truly happy.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

11/17/09 10:35 AM

Sister- I agree with the board member who suggested that perhaps your brother could connect with a rabbi or therapist, etc, who is a 3rd party. Sometimes it is easier to connect and listen to non-family members.
Mother- I responded to your other post on the board. I am so sorry she ran away. It's NOT YOUR FAULT!
a lynn

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Bipolar < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.