Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Bipolar in Torah
Created On 1/27/06 2:48 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

ImaBP
Supporter

1/27/06 2:48 AM

I know we've started talking about bipolar and chassidus. I was wondering how it was in the Torah Days.
How can we be different? Did they not have any of these things.
When I think of Hashem speaking to Avraham "Go take your only son and take him as a sacrifice..."
If this was done in modern days he would be locked up, or even worse.

I'm not saying that G-d is personally talking to us Bipolars, but its like we have such a fine intuitive,
sensitive line, and we are so connected. I understand the not so balanced things such a suicide etc,
but I'm talking about the people who are spiritually minded and really follow the Torah.

Many times I've read that when one Rabbi, or tzaddik meditates he goes into a trance-like motion and
shakes.
The same things as "gooosebumps: when we hear of stories that have such a divine touch from ABove.

We are getting closer to the days of Moshiach. The times are showing it, and I'm waiting every day.
I know there will be much suffering before hand, but getting back to Bipolar. I myself feel there is
a hand in hand with the spiritual.
Man cannot grip this and so there has to be a control over it. Of course in cases of hard cases, schizophrenia,
people that harm themselves is another story, but when there's no confusion, and you're not hurting anyone
and there's a joy and almost a real gift, somehow it seems right.

Please give me your suggestions and thoughts.

Ima- You may pm me if need to.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

1/27/06 3:14 AM

" but when there's no confusion, and you're not hurting anyone
and there's a joy and almost a real gift, somehow it seems right."

I wonder if one should ask their doctor if this is a good thought to dwell on, or if it can lead, chas vesholom, to an
unhealthy pattern of grandiose thoughts (like an alcoholic who starts off with one drink, and keeps
doing it until it increases).

May there be only good news, and may your wish for Moshiach to come soon be fulfilled immediately.

Edited: 1/27/06 at 3:25 AM by gad

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/27/06 10:47 AM

hmm, ima, i think as we've said before to eachother it's good to feel good, but not too good. like gad said, there is a balance. no? i think this is really the ikur here

atara

-------------------------
what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

karenleah
Junior Supporter

3/26/06 10:30 PM

I am a spiritual mom with a son who was recently diagnosed. My dear, your thoughts are sounding exactly like his, and although I am not a doctor, I am afraid that you are welcoming your disease and not the moshiach. When it is time, the greatest of Rabbis and spiritual leaders will know it before you , I or my son. May Hashem be with you, and lead you to recovery.

karen

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

3/27/06 12:10 AM

May your son have a speedy recovery, and may you have the strength to cope and manage. May we hear good news soon.

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

3/30/06 2:05 PM

wait a second lady. there's nothing wrong with me. mashiach will come when he wants to, and in all do respect, we will all know when he comes not just a priveledged few, you, or the rabbaim. remember. judaism is for ALL of us jews. not JUST the holier than thou few who think they are simply more religious than the rest of us just because they cover their hair and or daven three times a day and say tehillim every second of their waking hours doing almost nothing else in their free time, like A LOT of my friends, unfortunately. davening is good. saying tehillim is good. covering your hair is good. but not when it negates common derech eretz in telling other jews how to live their lives and or how wrong they are just because they're doing it their way and not yours. mashiach is for all of us, my dear. you me, the rabbaim, the holier than thou jews, AND your seemingly clueless but very tuned in actually (i don't know him, but i'm guessing if he's "like me", he's more tuned in than you think he is) son. sorry if i'm sounding rude, i'm just getting sick of seeing and hearing how other jews think they are better than me just because i am not as "religious" as them. please. i may be bipolar but i'm not stupid. don't take advantage of me like that, i feel insulted.

atara

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

3/30/06 2:06 PM

i was talking to karenleah, thinking she was talking to me (i actually think she was.) this is corect, right? if she was not talking to me, i'm sorry, but my thoughts still stand for anyone who would accuse me of such things in such a way.

atara

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

3/30/06 3:46 PM

May I add my two cents here?

I have been reading this "BiPolar in light of Chassidus" stuff for a while and kept quiet because I thought it too rediculous to respond to.
There is BiPolar disorder, and there is Chassidus. Period. One has nothing to do with the other. You want to delude yourself and believe there is? Enjoy yourself.
But to say "you are welcoming the disease and not the Moshiach" is grossly offensive.

Karen, I believe you owe Tors. an apology.

Ernie

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

3/31/06 12:14 AM

thank you, ernie, it's nice to know that someone else on this link agrees with me and is looking out for me. you are truly, in my eyes, a mitzvah boy. it is not right to insult the downtrodden, btw, everyone, not just karenleah. just because one doesn't steep their lives in religiousity does not mean they are not as good or better jews as/than those who don't. besides, everyone has their own way.

atara

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

3/31/06 3:29 PM

Atara,

It seems clear that Karen Leah was addressing the very first posting.

In fact, she was saying pretty much the same thing that you were saying, that it's important not to go overboard. I didn't detect any of the critcism which you sensed. I think what threw you off is the fact that she posted right after your post.

Have a good Shabbos.

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

4/1/06 11:19 PM

ah, okay okay. sorry karenleah-- IF you weren't talking to me that is!

atara

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

4/1/06 11:21 PM

but all the points i made btw, to someone who would have said something like that to me, STILL hold true. i meab what i say, btw, and i say what i mean. that is something you will learn about me very quickly. btw, shavuah tov all!

atara

Bottom

ImaBP
Supporter

4/3/06 9:19 AM

Atara,
I think she was talking to me. I reread my post and I think I was a little off. But it bothered me that she thought I was thinking more of my bipolar.
That's the last thing on my thought actually, and yes Moshiach is on my mind day and night. My husband can tell you it's my favorite subject.
I didn't think to post my being peeved about it because it's someones misguided perception, and they can think what they want, right? I didn't
take it to heart, and anyway, this is not where it should be posted. Praise in public, rebuke in private. I thought it was rude.
Ima

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

4/3/06 9:02 PM

well, i have to get home guys, so who cares who said what to anybody? it's raining and i'm tired and i have to take my meds and go to sleep. too much sewing. i think tonight i'll be dreaming of the needle going up and down on my sewing machine at school. so much for torah and mashiach. i'm tired! all i want to do is zzzzzzzzzzzz..........

atara

Bottom

ImaBP
Supporter

4/4/06 4:39 PM

That's a good reply!
Got to get some sleep too! : )
Ima

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

4/5/06 6:39 PM

sleep is always good. ahhhhh, sleeeeep...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

atara

Bottom

Officeguy
Junior Supporter

3/3/08 9:39 AM

This thread can make someone sleepy...

If Torah is the blueprint of the world and Chassidus is part of that, then it absolutely has something to offer about BP and any condition. We just have to be careful with our own interpetations. One significant principle which Chassidus does offer for everyone is an avenue which emphasizes a positive self image and sense of self worth for the individual. We must all (talking to myself here too) focus on the positive - which is crucial for us all with these challenges.

V'ahavta L'rayacha Kamocha - "love your neighbor as yourself" - kamocha - we can only love others when we first know how to love ourselves...

Keep smiling.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Bipolar < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.