Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: bipolar and genetics
Created On 5/25/06 10:15 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bob
Junior Supporter

5/25/06 10:15 AM

if someone in my immediate family has bipolar, and i marry someone who has bipolar in their immideate family, are the risks for the next generation doubled? is this a very bad situation to get yourself into?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

5/30/06 5:54 AM

I am not up on this research. Perhaps Dr. Price might know more.
a lynn

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

6/14/06 6:28 PM

i think i heard that if a parent is bipolar, their child is 50% suseptible. gransdchildren i don't know, but that's all i know about that. sorry i could't provide more help and or info.

atara

-------------------------
what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

RR
Junior Supporter

7/11/07 5:59 AM

I am pasting a quote that may be of interest to you in response to your qestion. But of course it cannot answer your own individual situation which is different from the ones described here.

http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/02_diagnosis_app.html#Anchor-20311

Are my kids going to get it? (added Jan. '01)

That's possible, because it's genetic. For more on that, see the section below on "what causes bipolar disorder?" and especially the page about genetics. Ok, if it's genetic, how likely are your kids to get it?

The answer used to be "roughly 20% chance if 1 parent has it, 50-70% chance if both do". Those figures apply to Bipolar I data; there has not been separate work on Bipolar II families, though the picture looks roughly the same so far.

However, thanks to a fine article by Duffy and colleaguesDuffy, there's more to say than that now. Their article is very technical, so the following is a "translation" into plain english; any errors in translation are mine.

Here's how that math works, in case you were wondering: "20%" means that if you had 5 kids, statistically one would have a mood disorder. If you only had two kids, there would be a bit more than 50% chance that neither of them would be affected, versus a bit less than 50% chance that one would be affected.

Dr. Duffy and her colleagues emphasize that "20%" is just an average risk, if one parent has bipolar disorder. From there, you need to take into account how many affected relatives you have. If there are a lot, the risk to your children is higher; if there aren't very many, then the risk is lower than 20%.

If you want more details, read the special section on genetics and risk.
taken from:
http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/02_diagnosis_app.html#Anchor-20311

Keep in touch and let me know if you come up with any new relevant information. This situation affects me, too.
Sincerely,
RR

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

7/11/07 11:29 PM

This was very interesting. Thank you for your post.

Bottom

ezrah
Supporter

9/1/07 4:38 PM

i think it is 50 percent
it also tend to run in familys like your aunts and cousins may have i t

-------------------------
Please pm me if you have any questions.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Bipolar < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.