Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: does it make sense for boredom to cause depression?
Created On 4/28/13 8:11 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

wannabehappy21
Supporter

4/28/13 8:11 PM

hey everyone,

i tend to get bored alot and that kinda pulls me down. now that i am doing so well i don't want to fall back in to depression again.
does anyone have ideas of how to keep occupied.. i go online alot but that's not so healthy. my job is also stressing me out but
i need the money to pay for things and sitting at home will definitely pulll me down. so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Bottom

star
Senior Supporter

4/28/13 8:55 PM

gym? i know its hard to be motivated. my gym has a tv so i do that while i do something easy, like biking. i like being around other people but i dont have to talk to them in the gym.
shopping? i dont have money but i buy little 3 dollar outfits for my niece just for fun.(thanks to h&m.)
find a new friend nearby?
visiting people in hospitals, unless that brings you down?
sorry no better ideas....

-------------------------
there is light at the end of the tunnel

Bottom

wannabehappy21
Supporter

4/28/13 9:15 PM

Thanks so much for taking your time to respond.
I like the ideas that you gave me. I want to join the
gym but don't have the money right now.
I can visit ppl in the hospital but as you said
it might bring me down. I def will consider tho!
Thanks!!

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

4/28/13 10:21 PM

Do you have any hobbies? Knitting is very calming. Art? Music?

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

4/29/13 4:24 AM

Do you like to paint or draw? Art can be very relaxing and theraputic (and not so expensive). If you do, consider buying a little canvas, some acrylic paints and a brush. Choose anything in site. And just paint it. I also agree about going to the gym cuz seeig other people can be good. Take a walk or a jog. Learn how to play guitar, volunteer for a chesed org, and i just thought of a really good one being that i have kids myself... Offer to watch someone elses kids for free- or even just holding someones baby its such a big help!!

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

4/29/13 5:15 PM

My sister whos single helps her married friend with everything from kids to shopping and it keeps her busy and fulfilled..

Bottom

emunahdoj
Senior Supporter

4/29/13 9:19 PM

wannabehappy- I can relate to what you are saying. I am soooo bored but do not know what to do to keep busier. I know all the suggestions- go for a walk, take a class, all that but none of it sounds so good.

Bottom

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

4/29/13 9:25 PM

If you live in NYC the New York public library has a lot of activities. I went to a cooking lecture once that was really fun, about how to make good cupcakes. They always have something going on.

I also go to museums. They have a "free hour" or "free day" per month or week or something. Or every summer they have Museum Mile where every museum is free! Also if you like art there is a bunch of new public art being installed all around the city in the coming months - you can go see everything for free

Bottom

wannabehappy21
Supporter

4/24/14 7:33 PM

I know this is from a while ago but I'm struggling again.
I'm sooo bored all the time witch is causing alot of depression..
I dont know how to keep myself occupied! The ideas were good
but,i need more tips and support please!

Thanks

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

4/24/14 8:32 PM

I'm with you-boredom is poison for me, and so is stress. So I'm always on this tightrope, trying to stay in the middle.
Things that I like-crossword puzzles,excercise, walks, buy s/thing -a small treat.
Learn s/thing that interests you-I've learned a whole lot about flowers recently, and spring is the right time for that. Many gardens are free or low cost and they really relax me.
Good Luck! We're with you!

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

4/27/14 5:39 PM

Wannabee, how are things?

Bottom

wannabehappy21
Supporter

4/27/14 6:10 PM

Todays going good so far. I had work in the morning then had
a doctors appointment and also made sushi.. So good day bh.
Shabbos was way too longggg... Very boringgg.. Thats a huge
deal for me because it triggers my depression.

Thanks so much for asking! How are things going?

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

4/27/14 7:55 PM

Mmm do you have any leftover sushi for us??

Bottom

wannabehappy21
Supporter

4/27/14 8:08 PM

All gone!! Sorry!! Lol

Bottom

wannabehappy21
Supporter

5/8/14 7:23 PM

I purchased a treadmill and am finding it hard to go on probably because of my weight.
I sleep during the day sometimes due to boredom and exhaustion.. Does anyone on here
feel the same way?? I used to be so good at exercising and dieting.now i cant control What
i eat!! Dieting is so hard.. Causing me to be depressed

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

5/8/14 9:18 PM

Totally relate to all of that!!
What helped me a bit was concerta (its a stimulant so it got me moving a drop more and less lethargic it also reduces appetite which was good for me).

For me there are underlying problems (attitudes/beliefs I absorbed growing up) which prevent me from being as productive as I'd like. That emptiness is painful and food helps assuage the pain temporarily. The issues also have me feeling like theres no hope=depression.

But over time if we keep at it things will improve slowly but surely...

Bottom

wannabehappy21
Supporter

5/9/14 1:32 PM

Thanks momo for your input

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Depression < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.