Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Is there always a life trigger?
Created On 5/12/13 2:29 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

5/12/13 2:29 AM

I'm curious. It seems that everyone on this forum has had some difficult life circumstances that triggered their depression: growing up in a dysfunctional family, or history of abuse, or trauma. Is that always the case? Or are some cases of depression purely chemically triggered?

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

5/12/13 3:18 AM

According to Dr. Ben Sorotzkin the notion of depression stemming from a chemical imbalance alone is a myth and unsubstantiated by science.
It is often difficult for people to admit or remember just how bad their upbringing was...

There is an extensive article addressing this exact question at
www.drsorotzkin.com

Edited: 5/12/13 at 3:25 AM by MoMo

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

5/12/13 6:12 AM

Its funny cuz i was gonna post a similar question at some point, just never got around to it. It seems in most cases that there is a trigger or a history. Although i know os one person who told me he has organic depression and i dont think he had a hard childhood or anything traumatic. I think he really has a chemical imbalance. But truth is i never asked him too much about his past and it possible he grew up with negative influences that triggered his depression. Its a good question to ask a psychiatrist cuz they see so many different situations...

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

5/12/13 9:03 AM
User is offline View users profile

I've had anxiety purely chemically triggered. Who knows???

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

5/12/13 3:36 PM

Munkster, but you've had plenty of triggers in the past.

Bottom

star
Senior Supporter

5/12/13 6:13 PM

i think that despite my dad being bipolar, them getting divorced and my mom remarried, i think i would have been okay had we not moved away when i was 9. My t used to tell me that moving for a kid is traumatic. maybe if i would have friends i wouldve at least had a support system to keep me up. but ill never know. i just hope i wont move when i have kids if that ever happens.

-------------------------
there is light at the end of the tunnel

Bottom

emunahdoj
Senior Supporter

5/12/13 7:30 PM

I WISH!!! I Know this sounds weird but BH I have THE most amazing family. I grew up with unconditional love and still receive it...my goal is to BE"H be to my kids how my parents are to me. So why am I like this???????????

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

5/13/13 2:01 AM

Emunah, are u on meds?

Bottom

emunahdoj
Senior Supporter

5/13/13 2:12 AM

Yeah I am

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

5/13/13 2:46 PM

So do you consider yourself to have a chemical imbalance? Is that the "explanation" of your depression?

Bottom

emunahdoj
Senior Supporter

6/7/13 1:35 AM

Yeah I consider myself to have a chemical imbalance. People with depressions or other mental illlnesses...their brains look differently than a "normal" brain. But then people say that their can be a predisposition for a mental illness but it will not necesarily come out unless something in the environment brings it out. So the whole thing confuses me.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

6/7/13 9:40 AM

Have you always had depression?

Bottom

emunahdoj
Senior Supporter

6/7/13 2:40 PM

Yeah I always had depression. My mom tells me I had depression in her womb!

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

6/11/13 8:53 AM

So even as a kid you had depression? what did that feel like? There is nothing you can trace back in your life and say, hey maybe thats a trigger, or a cause...?

Bottom

emunahdoj
Senior Supporter

6/12/13 2:04 AM

Yeah, even as a kid i had depression. I have journals from when I was ten and in them I wrote about how awful I felt. There is nothing I can trace back that would be a trigger BH. Maybe something hapened when I was an infant and it is in my unconscience but nothing I remember. BH I have amazing parents.

Bottom

alive and growing
Junior Supporter

6/12/13 7:46 AM

Hi, i'm a teenager struggling with depression/anxiety. i've had pretty traumatic life events, but the trigger wasn't the events- it was how i learned to deal with them. my parents are very loving and caring, but the atmosphere in our house was "don't stress over what is stressing you" which is all very nice, but i got used to burying my feelings, and it came out in physical pain (i had disabling back pain for two years.) when i finally began to accept that i was allowed to have emotions, the old ones, long buried but still alive, overwhelmed me. i'm still struggling 1 1/2 years later.
so by me it's not at all chemical. but i don't think any specific event causes trauma, more how the child learns to deal with emotion. But everyone's different...

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

6/13/13 5:36 PM

I think everyone has some degree of trauma in their life, but no one talks about it unles they have a mental illnes becuase they dont attribute it to anything. Example- many kids are bullied, yet not everyone uses that as a triger for mental illnes. In my opinion our lives are not any worse then anyone elses, we just percive everything as something huge so it seems that way. Our problem is we sweat the small stuff, otrherwise we would be ok.
Make sence?
Having said that, Emunah, Im pretty much in the same situation (and kinda like Alive and Growing to), i have a great family B"H, they have their isues, but i dont know if they are any worse than anyone elses?

Bottom

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

6/18/13 7:45 PM

Yea I think that's a very good point. I think there are different tolerance levels - for example, I can handle working 14 hours per day, but I know that other people may not be able to hande it. Or - some people have the capability of running a marathon, but no matter how hard I try I can't. So I think mental disorders are similar - it's about a spectrum. Some people can be severely depressed and suicidal, while others like a friend of mine can handle a full-time secretary job. What are your thoughts?

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

6/18/13 9:31 PM

yeah, thats exactly what i was saying. i hope you dont mind me asking, you dont have to answer but are you a 14 hour work a day person or a severly depressed and suicidal. sounds like ur not giving urself enough credit, or working to hard or idk....

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

6/18/13 11:21 PM

Interesting points. So why is it that we react so strongly? Are we born overly sensitive?

Bottom

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

6/19/13 6:48 AM

Sorry I don't understand the question, channafofanna. Maybe you could please clarify. I work 14 hours a day because my job requires it - I didn't understand the connection between working long hours and being suicidal. Is what you meant like, is working 14 hours a day making me depressed and suicidal? I guess it depends what you do for a job. B"h I really love my job and so it doesn't feel like a burden.

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

6/19/13 10:57 AM

HopefulMommy- maybe because we werent taught or diddnt acquire for some reasons, the tools to protect ourselves, and that is why therapy works, because it teaches people to put on a skin that other people were taught to have growing up. thats my pshat for the moment. of course ask the same thing tomorow and ill have a totaly oposite view =)

Mimi- Oh, sorry I wasnt clear. It is really hard for me to express what I want to say. You said you were able to work 14 hours a day, but then you said
" Some people can be severely depressed and suicidal, while others like a friend of mine can handle a full-time secretary job. "
Im just not sure what the conection is. It sound to me like you are comparing yourself to your friend (and not in a positive way) that she can hold down a full time secratary job and you are suicidal and depressed. But dont you realize that you are working MORE than full time, while being suicidal and depressed. I was just saying it dosent sound like you are giving yourself enough credit. I was asking a question for you, not necesarily for me. maybe more rehtorical? i dont know... I was also suggesting maybe 14 hours is to much, but if you love it, then great!!! You are lucky that you love your job, thats not something most people can boast.

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

6/19/13 9:42 PM

For me it was probably a combination of difficult life circumstances and a chemical imbalance. Although, I believe it's often hard to figure out what came first, the chicken or the egg.

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

6/20/13 8:32 PM

What do you mean WishToBeHappy? I hear your point, but Im confused how life circumstances can be caused by or cause a chemical imbalance. Care to explain?

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

6/20/13 11:07 PM

when you have a genetic predisposition, traumatic events are likely to trigger a chemical imbalance. On the flip side, often when you originally have a chemical imbalance, minor events which would not be traumatic to the average person, can push you over the edge and aggravate the chemical imbalance. just my understanding. hope that explains it better.

Bottom

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

6/21/13 1:44 AM

Oh ok. Yes- I was also unclear.

My friend has depression, yet somehow she's able to make it and work full time as a secretary. Depending on the type of depression a person is having, sometimes it's really hard to do this. I once was depressed for a few months after my relative was niftar and it was hard to pull myself out of bed; b"h it was for a few months.

I don't have depression (or, obviously, suicidal) but I can understand and empathize with people who do have depression.

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

6/21/13 2:52 PM

thanks for explaining, sounds perfect to me.
Mimi- thanks for explaining

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

6/21/13 2:55 PM

and you dont have to answer this, but do you have a mental illness ? no pressure to answer though.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Depression < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.