Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: A Thought
Created On 8/26/13 6:33 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

MoMo
Senior Supporter

8/26/13 6:33 AM

I wish there were books about ordinary heroes. People who suffered a lot but overcame that adversity to the best of their ability.

All I read about are people of opportunity who managed to accomplish big things.

What about the guy with bipolar who fights every single day against all odds to hold down a part time job in order to pay down his credit card bill and be an upstanding member of society. Isn't he a hero?

Or the mother of 4 with an abusive husband and a beaten self esteem who has to sleep in her mini van some nights in order to avoid her husband but yet she showers her children with love and she works hard in therapy to be the best she can be..

These are true heroes. They get no fame and no recognition. They don't even get the satisfaction of feeling like they are doing anything great because they're actually performing less than others from more privileged circumstances but they do their best when their best isn't all that good....

What do you think?

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

8/26/13 6:38 AM

I'm sick of reading only about privileged people who did these amazing things -as if that's all that counts.

It really bothers me!!

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

8/26/13 6:42 AM

I just watched The Miracle Worker about Helen Keller. Both Helen and Annie faced huge battles and overcame them. There are books and DVDs about people with tremendous challenges and they are an inspiration to us.

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

8/26/13 6:48 AM

One day I'm going to write a book about ordinary heroes who made simple and modest accomplishments when the cards were stacked against them. People who fought when there was no hope and hoped when there was no future and created a half baked future out of a broken past..

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

8/26/13 6:52 AM

What about people who didn't become famous and didn't create revolutions but simply paid their bills on time or raised children or held down a part time job or worked and worked and worked to find a reason to get out of bed etc.

Do these not count for anything?

Bottom

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

8/26/13 7:55 AM

That would make all of us heroes!

Health problems are extremely common. If it's not bipolar then it's multiple sclerosis, lupus, diabetes, or the like. A lot of people also have sick family members they are caring for.

I agree that people can overcome incredible struggles. I think these struggles may be more common than you realize in part because people do not talk about them.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

8/26/13 8:41 AM

Momo, that's a great idea for a book. Can't wait to read it!

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Depression < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.