Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Social Difficulties
Created On 9/30/13 7:39 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

MoMo
Senior Supporter

9/30/13 7:39 PM

I had a terrible Yom Tov partially because I was a guest for all the seudas and it was difficult because I felt the need to be witty and sociable but couldn't live up to that so I felt excruciating shame.

I have this belief that it's terribly shameful to be socially awkward. If I am less then perfect socially I just can't stand it and my brain thinks that everyone is looking down at me. I feel excruciatingly ashamed.

I don't know how to change this belief -nothing I tell myself works. Therapy isn't helping me with this.

Have any of you ever had a negative belief that simply would not change?
What should I do?

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

9/30/13 8:00 PM

I'm quite aa bit older than you and still have a hard time with this.
But lately I've tried to relax and just tune out, and it sometimes works .
Keep trying to relax.
Some people who seem so socially savvy are really very unhappy inside.
And many people are quiet. It's just that we don't hear them.......

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

9/30/13 8:32 PM

Thanks for sharing that.
Does it cause you to avoid social situations?
Have you always had this problem?

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

10/1/13 10:44 AM

I always felt socially awkward.
As for shunning social situations, that depended on my state of mind. If I was depressed, yes, I would stay home. Otherwise, I went.

Bottom

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

10/1/13 12:47 PM

I just have one question: how do you know for sure you are "socially awkward"? Maybe ask someone who can give you their honest opinion, if you know of such a person.

I know people who are truly socially awkward. They have no idea they are and frequently make others incomfortable just because of their lack of social cognition. I think there is a difference between being truly socially awkward (ie you do not understand social cues) or feeling slightly uncomfortable when approaching people you don't know or being in new situations.

I feel the same way sometimes but I find if I fake it and pretend I'm not uncomfortable, it'll come naturally eventually

I hope this helps.

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

10/1/13 1:09 PM

Right you are, Cutiestar! I am just uncomfortable in social situations. I never say anything that will hurt anyone, I think. I'll err on the side of caution and say nothing. Hence, the quiet.

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

10/6/13 2:48 AM

I think the depression makes people feel socially awkward and it's part of the disease. When I am very depressed I can barely speak. When I am not depressed, I am great at making conversation and communicating in a very sociable way. it's like I have two personalities. Unfortunately, I've been mostly depressed in the recent times so I'm almost forgetting what it's like to just be comfortable with myself and other people.
Momo,
I wish I had some advice for you, but all I could say is, I'm with you!!

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Depression < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.