Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Can anyone help me?
Created On 7/7/14 12:14 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

toy123
Senior Supporter

7/7/14 12:14 AM

I have therapy tomorrow and I have something that's weighing heavily on me and I don't know how to tell my therapist. It was already on my mind last session and I got upset that I couldn't tell her. She doesn't like me writing because she wants me to learn how to verbalize myself and besides this is something I have a hard time discussing even via writing... How do I address this issue? How do I go about it? I MUST get it off my chest... Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

-------------------------
Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you.

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay", I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight and say "I know you are not".

Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I'm happy.

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

7/7/14 1:54 AM

I feel for you!!
If it was me I'd explain to the therapist that while it's important for me to learn to verbalize myself that this is something that I feel is different and in this case I feel I need to write it in order to express it.

Another thing I'd consider doing is telling the therapist everything you've told us. I would tell her that there is something weighing me down heavily and I wanted to discuss it last session but couldn't. I must get it off my chest this time but don't know how to discuss it or if it's ok to talk about. I don't know what to do, do you have any advice how to go about this?

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

7/7/14 2:02 AM

I think that it depends on your relationship with your therapist. If you feel that the therapist is empathetic, understanding, and very much "with you" and "feels" what you are talking about, then although it is hard at first to open up, but if you push yourself and start, you will be able to empty your heart from a lot of worry, and you'll feel better.

If, however, you feel that your therapist is not "with you," then it may be best to talk about what's weighing on you with someone who understands.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

7/7/14 2:04 AM

I just saw momo's reply. I especially like his second suggestion.

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

7/7/14 9:17 AM

Thanks momo and Gad for responding. Gad my relationship with my therapist is great bh, but this is a very embarrassing intimate subject... Also another problem arose, I have so much to talk about that I don't know where to start. The session is only 45 minutes which passes in what seems like 5 minutes. For those of you that are in therapy how do you prioritize what you want to talk about? Also how do you express how you feel without your therapist feeling threatened? For example saying you feel like you want to hurt yourself because nothing is getting done about something. I'm definitely NOT saying this out of jealousy, or attention seeking rather out of hurt??? Any ideas???

Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you.

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay", I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight and say "I know you are not".

Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I'm happy.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

7/7/14 2:10 PM

Re prioritizing:
Maybe you can make a list of what you want to talk about, putting this issue (that is bothering you a lot now) at the top of the list. Then, when you are in therapy, you can look at the list, and start with the first item.

Re the therapist not feeling threatened:
I think that therapists are trained for these things, and know how to not feel threatened.

Hope to hear good news.

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/7/14 9:27 PM
User is offline View users profile

I know what you mean about not having enoguh time!!
Like a lifetime of issues cant be squeezed into 45 sessions!!!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

7/8/14 3:13 PM

How did the session go yesterday? Were you able to talk about what bothered you?

Edited: 7/8/14 at 3:15 PM by gad

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

7/10/14 9:03 PM

I can also relate to the time constraint. 45 minutes often feel like a drop in the ocean for me too.

How'd it go toy?

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

7/14/14 7:32 AM
User is offline View users profile

I agree. There are a lot of times 45 min. just doesn't cut it.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Depression < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.