Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Therapist doesn't believe me?
Created On 2/22/15 5:27 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Teddybear
Supporter

2/22/15 5:27 PM
User is offline View users profile

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I think I've posted this in the past here but just wondering what you think. I've been to therapy where the therapist doesn't believe I was s**ually, emotionally/physically abused. My self esteem is really low bc I think of myself as worthless no matter how hard i try to gain a positive self impression.

I find it very invalidating from a therapist to hear that the people who abused me are actually wonderful people and if I just tried harder to have good relationships with them then they wouldn't abuse me. I know that therapists make mistakes every now and then but I've seen a couple of them and they all say this.

I think I feel worse after I see the person who abused me. Isn't therapy supposed to be healing or something?

Does anyone here have a similar, or maybe different, experience in therapy? Do you feel like therapy helps you??

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

2/22/15 7:06 PM

Teddybear, I also get triggered by people who hurt me and have to keep my distance.
Its soooo painful to have people sticking up for your abusers.
I don't know what to say about your therapist. Do you have a dr. What does he say?

Bottom

Teddybear
Supporter

2/22/15 9:18 PM

She doesn't explicitly say the same thing, but she doesn't want to hear much of it, which I guess is better.

When I was in hospital the staff made me have a family meeting or else I would not get out. They thought that me being afraid of my family was part of my "condition". But here I am years later and still scared of them. Why did the staff force me to get together with my father?

Also I was thinking maybe there is a brand of psychology (I don't know a lot about these things) that advocates "forgiveness" as healing? One therapist told me I should get together with my father every week because I don't want to look back and have any regrets in life, in case after he is niftar I would have wished to spend more time with him. I really don't think so.

Thanks for responding to my post. What do you think?

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

2/23/15 5:50 AM

I think that you know yourself best and if you feel worse after meeting your father then you shouldn't meet him.
Your job is to feel well and nothing else.
Makes any sense to you?

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

2/24/15 1:24 AM

For what its worth, I agree with Keep Climbing. I don't see how meeting with people who hurt you in past is going to help.... Makes me sad to even think this is going on.

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

2/24/15 1:44 PM

There are a lot of great therapists but there are also some that are terrible which is sad...

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Depression < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.