Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: When things are bad
Created On 6/7/15 4:53 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

6/7/15 4:53 PM
User is offline View users profile

I thought maybe we can come up with a list or say some things that help us when were feeling really down. Obviously a lot of things are hard to do when ur feeling so down, but maybe we can give each other some new ideas.
Ill start.
1. Listen to music
2. binge watch on youtube ( not necessarily the healthiest thing, but it does help)
3. Excercise ( even though its mad hard to get yourself up)
4. Go on a depression forum and start a thread / chat in a chatroom

I know this may seem like a really stupid thread but im feeling really bad today so i just needed to do something. now that im writing this im feeling a bit better so everyone feel free to ignore it from now =)
feel good guys!!

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

6/7/15 5:15 PM

Read a book
Take a walk
Watch TV or a movie
Color I know this sounds silly but it's really relaxing and calming
Call a friend
If I think of anything else I'll write again

-------------------------
Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you.

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay", I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight and say "I know you are not".

Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I'm happy.

Bottom

TBear
Senior Supporter

6/7/15 5:24 PM

Sorry you are feeling bad Channa

I think this is a great thread, those are good ideas.... I use music and exercise lots of times (and it is hard to exercise - yoga stretches if nothing else)

I keep a little booklet in my purse, with pictures of those in my life I love and who love and have loved me, it also lists things to help in case I am really sad... some are:

1. Bubble bath
2. Have an herbal tea and read a book
3. Say Tehillim
4. Give myself positive affirmations (I am a daughter of the King, I am here for a purpose, I have worth, list of my strengths...)
5. Thank Hashem - or thank someone in your life for something
6. Sing and dance around the house... or go for a walk in a park
7. Write in my journal/ draw a picture
8. Do my nails
9. Cook
10. Re-arrange the furniture :-)

Feel better!

Bottom

TBear
Senior Supporter

6/7/15 5:26 PM

Toy -

I LOVE to color - and you are right it does calm me down everytime :-)

Hopefully no one ever is this low, but I also have a contract with my therapist and emergency list if my mood plummets to extreme levels - when to call and who to call how long to wait before the next step..... a copy of it is also in the booklet in my purse. Feelings do pass with time - accepting them and not acting on them - doing things to bring the mood up.....

Take care all!

Edited: 6/7/15 at 5:35 PM by TBear

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

6/8/15 2:12 PM

Nature, especially flowers, pick me up a lot. I buy a beautiful bouquet for Shabbos (not expensive, but I choose carefully) and treasure them all week. Also, gardens, parks, water are lifesavers for me. As well as most of the stuff already mentioned.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

6/8/15 6:08 PM

Start a small herb garden. Smells great and you can use the herbs for cooking....lame maybe, but maintenance keeps me busy...along with the rest of my "farm." We grow stuff in raised boxes.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

6/9/15 7:17 PM

Really good ideas everyone. Thanks!

Right now, all I want to do is book a flight to the moon, but I'm taking notes anyway, so I can try some of it when the stress levels out a bit.

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

6/10/15 11:24 AM

I am feeling really down this morning and I ate half a box of peanut chews (which I never touch normally)
Guess what! It did the trick!

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

6/10/15 12:37 PM

Sorry you're feeling down.

I've gone on sugar binges many times to feel better too. For me, I tend to crash not long after, though...

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

6/11/15 5:22 PM

Thanks guys!!
Coloring does not sound silly at all!! ( but as the forums "registered kid" that may not mean much =) )
Oh yeah!! Sugar and caffeine overdoses are lifesavers for me sometimes!!! But Im with Wishtobehapy on the crashes after... Although they do help to give you a break from the down when its too much, even with the crash..
Also, as stupid as it sounds, something that is suprisingly helpful sometimes is holding your breath for as long as you can while dunking your face in ice cold water.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

6/14/15 6:44 AM

If anyone has an Ipad (maybe it will work on Iphone..dunno) you can get an app called "Wants and needs." It has a passwordd lock on it so inquiring minds will continue to inquire . Anyhoooooo, it is nice because it lets you acknowledge the good and then write what you need...be it material or non- material items. Every once in a while I take a peek and feel great when I can check it off. You could do the same with pen and paper ....no need for app.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

6/14/15 10:34 AM

I like that.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Depression < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.