Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: sam-E
Created On 2/10/06 3:14 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

hoboken
Junior Supporter

2/10/06 3:14 PM

if anyone out there is going to try sam-E as an herbal treatment for their depression, i STRONGLY recommend you have your homocysteine levels checked. i ended up in the emergency room in a catatonic state and STILL have horrible circulation issues due to damage caused by dangerously high levels of homocysteine. the buildup was caused by not enough B vitamins while taking sam-E.
BE VERY CAREFUL WITH HERBAL STUFF!!!!!

Bottom

Packeteers
Junior Supporter

2/23/06 2:46 PM

while hoboken's case and warning is important, I want to testify how Happy I am with SAM-E

I started it taking 200mg of SAM-E per day (half the recommended dose) about 5 years ago, (many years after suffering a hip reduction surgery) and it's claim to help alleviate anxiety and lubricate your joints has noticeably helped me. The best and cheapest place to buy it is Costco, brand by Nature Made.

other anxiety related supplements I find helpful are;
Melatonin1-3mg, HGH, Aspirin 81mg, DHEA 25mg
(occasional liquid Kava kava drop on a cookie, or a red Wine.)
I do NOT recommend anyone use St. John's Wort.

other bone and join health related supplements I find helpful are;
*Glucosamine 500mg (NOT Chondroitin) and MSM 250mg (sulfur)
Calcium 500mg with Vitamin D 200iu

Remember, supplements should never be used in place of a healthy diet and exercise, only as a "supplement".
as hoboken points out, it's wise to check with a doctor or dietician especially if you are on another drug regiment.

Personally, I prefer taking half the daily recommended doses early in the day, and eating healthy always.
If you want to take full daily doses, best to take a half dose mid day, and half in the early evening.
(I keep most suppliments at work, and take half before lunch, and half before I drive home for the day).
Most full doses get wasted as these suppliments only stay in your blood stream for 6-8 hours.

It should be noted that SAM-E benefit is not felt until several weeks after taking it daily,
so make sure you take it for 30-60 days before deciding if it's helpful to you or not.

*Freeda makes a OU Kosher vegetarian Glucosamine that is 2-3 time more potent than the regular shellfish based products.

Edited: 2/23/06 at 5:01 PM by Packeteers

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

2/25/06 7:42 PM

what is sam-e?

atara

-------------------------
what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

stillfighting
Supporter

2/26/06 3:24 PM

The body manufactures SAMe from methionine, an amino acid found in protein-rich foods, and adenosine triphosphate (ATP), an energy-producing compound found in all the body's cells. The SAMe molecule then donates a piece of itself (a methyl group) to body tissues and organs, providing a critical link in methylation, a chemical reaction that occurs billions of times a second throughout the body. In giving up a part of itself, SAMe promotes cell growth and repair.

SAMe also contributes to the formation of key compounds in the brain, including the neurotransmitter dopamine and the mood-enhancer serotonin. In addition, it helps to maintain desirable levels of glutathione, a major antioxidant that protects against cell damage from oxygen molecules called free radicals. Taken as a supplement, SAMe compensates for any deficiencies and encourages the body to run efficiently.

You can get more information from:
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,818,00.html
or your health care provider.

Edited: 2/26/06 at 3:26 PM by stillfighting

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

2/28/06 11:31 AM

very cool. i eat a lot of protien anyway. is that why i'm not depressed and often manic? (i am otherwise very healthy, b''h..) i also take a lot of vitamin c, and rarely get sick (ka''h) altrhough i am sick right now with a mild cold. dar n! i guess you can't be healthy all the time no matter how much protien you eat or how much same you metabolize.

atara

-------------------------
what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Depression < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.