Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Finding a therapist/marriage counselor
Created On 2/15/06 2:35 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

rainbow
Supporter

2/15/06 2:35 PM
User is offline View users profile

How does one go about it?? I can't exactly ask friends for recomendations. I am on medication for severe depression/anxiety. And my marriage has suffered terribly. I need a therapist ASAP. I do not have insurance,(only medicaid) But if neccessary, I will find a way to pay. I live in Upstate NY. Which organization/refferal service can I call?????

My fear of therapists is of overdependancy. I can't afford to go for therapy endlessly.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

2/18/06 7:44 PM

Hello Lucky,

Sorry to hear you are suffering so much. I can tell you from personal experience that depression can ruin a marriage and you are smart to be seeking out therapy. Can't the MD giving you the meds. refer you to someone? Maybe a Rav or Rebbetzin? Hatzlacha, Ernie

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

2/19/06 12:43 AM

Hi lucky,
Here is a link, which might help you.
http://nefesh.org/directory/member_search.cfm

if Nefesh does not have members in upstate NY, perhaps u can call one of their members in Brooklyn, and ask for a referal in your area.

good luck
debbi

Edited: 2/19/06 at 12:43 AM by Debbi

Bottom

rainbow
Supporter

2/19/06 11:17 AM

Thank you for the link. It has a very limited amount of therapists, and no one close to where I live.
Why is it that I feel this hesitancy to call for a therapist?? I know I need it, yet I have this fear of calling for an appt.
My dr. has put me on more medication because I am just getting worse. At this point I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know there is light, but I have not seen it yet.

A question.
What is a physciatrist?
Physcologist?

I go to a Dr. for medication, So he is probably a Physciatrist.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

2/19/06 12:23 PM

Hi Lucky,

A psychiatrist is an MD who can do therapy AND prescribe medication. A psychologist can only do therapy but not prescribe meds.

Please keep trying to find someone. What does your doctor say about finding a therapist? He/She should be able to help find someone

Ernie

Bottom

rainbow
Supporter

2/19/06 7:37 PM

My Dr. ( physciatrist-) just gave me meds. I asked about therapy he said that it would help me cope with the ups and downs. But he had no references for me. He is in Manhattan, and I am in upstate. He only knows therapists in the city. I do not want to change Dr. He is fantastic, always available on the phone, no matter what time of day or night. and.. he doesn't charge a fortune. (I pay cash)

Bottom

Admin
Administrator

2/20/06 4:52 PM

Hi,

You might want to contact Relief.

Admin

Edited: 2/20/06 at 5:05 PM by Admin

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

2/20/06 6:08 PM

my doc charges about $300 an hour. it's very expensive but it's worth it. i can call him too almost any time of day, and as a psychopharmacologist, (dealling with meds) and a therapist, he's great. he's a little egocentric, but that's okay with me. lucky, i wish you luck. therapy is important and worrying about overdependence is silly, in my humble opinion. they're there to help us. that's what they're paid to do. there's nothing wrong with getting therapy or asking for help sometimes when we need it not just in therapy, but in general.

atara

-------------------------
what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

2/20/06 6:16 PM

p.s. lucky-- don't worry there's always a light at the end, you just have to keep trudging in darkness, and if you trudge long enough and don't give up, there WILL be a light at the end of the tunnel. there always is. NO MATTER how dark it gets. now you must know how an earthworm feels (all those tunnels in the ground..) but if worms can keep going, with no legs or arms or people to help them out, surely you as a PERSON, with questioning abilities (and arms and legs..) and your ability to ask from help from other PEOPLE, can make it out from your earthworm hole. besides, to make yet another comparison to earthworms, (yuck, right? sorry!) as the worms trudge and dig, they let air into the soil which lets other things grow. so all your suffering? may be helping someone else, or be providing inspiration to someone in need. just as an earthworm provides oxygen, your struggling may be helping others grow and realize their potential. just something to think about..sorry i know earthworms are gross but they are essential in our ecosystem and play a very big part in keeping things healthy functioning and working smoothly. besides, hashem created them, so they must have a purpose. so do we, no matter how "lowly" our lives may seem!

atara

Bottom

rainbow
Supporter

2/20/06 9:43 PM

Thank You Atara for the chizuk. I was not home today, so I couldn't call around for referals. I hope to do it tommorow.

For anyone out there dealing with depression, Don't you sometimes feel terrible when you read what awful things others are contending with? I have a beautiful healthy family, I am not living from paycheck to paycheck, I have many siblings, ...and still I am depressed. Others have so much baggage of abuse and sorrow, I didn't have the best childhood, I have some marital problems, But I still really should be the happiest person in the world. Yes I know about chemical imbalances and all that but I still feel a pang of guilt about my depression.

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

2/20/06 10:38 PM

guilt is a common feeling. but you should get strength in the fact that usually we think things are much worse than they actually are.

atara

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Depression < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.