Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: bulimia
Created On 1/27/05 11:07 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

joyofeema
Junior Supporter

1/27/05 11:07 AM

i have a 21 year old son who has been bulimic for about a year. i know it's unusual for a boy to have this disorder. any suggestions on how to go about getting help for him? he's very shy and has a hard time asking for help or stating his opinions- i guess this has something to do with the problem..

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/29/05 9:59 PM

Have you considered seeking a psychologist and or psychiatrist who is an expert in this field? I don't know any names but I would assume that would be the first step.

Bottom

joyofeema
Junior Supporter

1/31/05 11:30 AM

thank you

Bottom

StrongerEveryDay
Junior Supporter

2/12/05 9:32 PM

joyofeema, i sent you a message.

-------------------------
Everything that happens is for the best, even if it may never seem that way.

StrongerEveryDay

Edited: 3/2/05 at 10:40 AM by StrongerEveryDay

Bottom

Nachum
Junior Supporter

2/15/05 8:49 PM
User is offline View users profile

The following is from an article from garynull.com. I one time helped treat a friend's eleven year old who was showing all the warning signs and well on the way to being anorexic. She was caught early and made a dramatic turn around in her relationship to food in the course of a week. My friend discussed with me the problem(I was their Shabbos guest once and saw a wild interaction take place over eating one tablespoon of tuna fish. He said that a tablespoon of tuna here and there only on Shabbos was all that this obviously undernourished eleven year ate.) I said either take her to Gary Null's clinic and get a full workup, or, as a shot in the dark, try giving her a zinc suppliment. As I said, the result of the zinc suppliment was dramatic. I am not saying not to get a broad treatment program, only I am suggesting that a zinc suppliment being used as an adjunct. 50mg-100mg a day is safe and can be tolerated by anyone. More than that amount can push other minerals out of your system and make an imbalance.

DR. MICHAEL SCHACTER

In the case of some people who suffer from eating disorders, they may be suffering from a zinc deficiency. A few years ago, Alex Schauss presented a paper about a number of patients who were suffering from anorexia nervosa. He found that they were zinc-deficient by using a simple test called a zinc taste test. The person takes some zinc sulfate solution in their mouth, and if they describe it as having a bad taste, they usually have sufficient levels of zinc. On the other hand, if they can't taste the solution or if it tastes just like water, then they may have a zinc deficiency, even if their blood levels look fine. Their tissue levels may still be low. Schauss found he had trouble correcting those zinc abnormalities using zinc tablets or capsules, and needed to use liquid zinc because that seemed to be absorbed.

When a person has a zinc deficiency, it's a vicious cycle because the zinc deficiency actually prevents you from being able to absorb it from the capsule and tablet form. If you can overload the system with the zinc liquid for a short period of time, frequently the condition will improve. While I haven't seen many patients in the last couple of years with anorexia nervosa, I have had people with milder loss of appetite, and sometimes excessive appetite, who have had zinc deficiencies. I have been able to rely on this test and administering zinc liquid to vastly improve the condition of these patients.

Here is the ref to the article
? Evidence of zinc deficiency in anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Schauss AG; Bryce-Smith D. Nutrients and brain function; editor, WB Essman. Basel: Karger, c 1987. p. 151-162.
A review is presented on the use of zinc in treating anorexia nervosa, and on the zinc taste-test for assessing zinc deficiency, which is frequent in anorexics.

? Zinc absorption in anorexia nervosa. Dinsmore, WW; Alderdice, JT; McMaster, D; Adams, CEA; Love, AH. Lancet. Boston, Mass.: Little, Brown and Company. May 4, 1985. v.1 (8):1041-1042.
Anorexics have a lower intestinal uptake of zinc than do normal subjects.
TextText

Bottom

ash
Junior Supporter

4/27/05 9:32 AM

Wouldn't a zinc deficiency be as a result of starvation? zinc is found in many foods that people with ED's tend to avoid. In response to the first women.....if your child is suffering in any sense....you must get medical help straight away!! and don't ever think about what the community the thinks. anyone with bulimia is suffering and they should know they can get help for it and their life can improve. your son should def be seeing a psychologist and/or psychiatrist. but it is hard work, i know, and the longer a person suffers with a severe eating disorder, the harder it can be to get out of the nightmare. good luck!!

Bottom

Shaina Rikla
Junior Supporter

5/25/05 6:53 PM

I am anorexic. It started at age 11 and I had a break for about two years in which I overate. I am now anorexic again.

Please get your son help. I wish my parents had before I got down to 103 lbs at 5"5 and a half.

Thanks!

Bottom

StrongerEveryDay
Junior Supporter

5/26/05 7:49 AM

shaina rikla, are you getting help? if you need info on how to start treatment, i may be able to help you. send me a message if you need anything.

take care of yourself.

Everything that happens is for the best, even if it may never seem that way.

StrongerEveryDay

Bottom

emptysmile
Supporter

6/12/06 3:53 PM

my teachers cousin(guy) got so anorexic that his tail bone was sticking out and had to have syrgery on it.

"life is like a box of chocolates always too many nuts and never enough caramels."

Bottom

rockybrown
Junior Supporter

2/5/07 9:52 PM

ok , thats totally freaky about the surgery.i had a bout of anorixia, well im not sure exactly what theyd officially "diagnose" it with in their jargon but basically i didnt eat for like 5 weeks over the summer, like when i was a teenager (5 yrs ago)and when i got home my mum was like, oh ure happy and you look good and that was it! and it was then that something clicked in me, that i could die from not eating and my father had turned a blind eye as a "girls thing/diets..." my mum turned a blind eye cuz i was less roud to her and helped around the house more cuz i felt more in "control" of my life cuz i was finally in control of my eating and my friends i had sucessfully convinced that i was on a diet... bla bla bla (meanwhile, all i had for 5 weeks was diet coke to get the bad taste out of my mouth)

so i broke, and i put back on all 15 kilos id lost and since then im just overweight and eat all over the place. i see a shrink but i dont think its something she can help me with, i have to like come to terms with my feelings about everyone involved in my life at that time myself.but, here, i just dont know how.i really wanna start cleaning up my emotional baggage tho.its time.thankyou for this forum

~when the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box~

Bottom

aquabelle
Supporter

6/10/07 2:53 AM

i made myself throw up tonite. i pigged out fri and over shabbos and motzai shabbos and i just needed to get rid of some of it so i made myself throw up. i don't want to develop an ed. i was on weight watchers and exercising and doing really well and i just lost it these past few days b/c i'm having a rough time emotionally. and tonite i made myself throw up twice. which is kind of not so great b/c it felt good to get some of the food out even though it was nothing near what i ate. now what?

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

6/10/07 4:36 AM
User is offline View users profile

Now you get back up and don't do it again.

Like Weight Watchers also teaches, one "mistake" doesn't mean FAILURE. It means, You just pick up from there and move on and do the right thing again.

I wish you success with getting back up again.

Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

Fragile
Supporter

2/14/08 1:35 PM

I started out as an anorexic. After 1 year I recovered but then became bulimic. I've struggled for 2 years and finally achieved remission for 7 months. Unfortunately, I relapsed now. It's really tough.
But the earlier you get help, the easier it will be to recover. Go for it.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Eating Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.