Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: nutritionist
Created On 2/6/08 5:03 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

2/6/08 5:03 AM

does anyone know how much it costs to meet with one (fee per meeting i guess). or does anyone have any suggestions about where i could look to find a jewish frum one?

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

2/6/08 5:40 AM

echo 845-425-9750

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

2/6/08 5:42 AM

Also, maybe the kosher agencies like ou, ok, chof k may know.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

2/6/08 9:04 AM

Fees vary widely. Some insurance companies will pay. I just discovered (after over a year of paying on my own) that my insurance covers nutrition. Also, some nutritionists will give you a sliding scale fee. Usually the assessment (first meeting) will cost more than future sessions. It is SOOOOO important that you see a nutritionist who specializes in eating disorders, though--more important than anything else!! I originally started with a nutritionist who specialized in cardiovascular disease (b/c my cholesterol was high as a side-effect of my ED), and it just made everything worse, and she did NOT know what to do with me!! she finally got even more hysterical than i was (if that's possible) and referred me to an ED-specializing nutritionist.

By the way, I am SOOOOOOOO proud of you for taking this step!!!

where do you live? i know a bunch of ppl/resources in ny, and can probably find others in other large cities. otherwise, you can try the something-fishy.org website, or edreferral.com (i think that's the website). my old nutritionist was not jewish, but she worked with many frum ppl, so she understood many of the challenges of shabbos, pesach, etc....

as for how much it costs.....i have a sliding scale fee of $40 per session....i think non-sliding-scale is around 70....but, like i said, insurance might cover it (haha, i have to call and get a years' worth of money back!!)

let me know if you have more questions, and good luck!! keep us posted!

-------------------------
"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

fighter88
Supporter

2/10/08 1:15 AM

yes
ditto to find a nutritionist specializing in ed's. it will NOT help if u go to someone who doesnt deal with ed's.

"I breathe, therefore I Hope."

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

2/13/08 1:17 AM

thanks guys i'll take a look at the stuff you told me.
and thanks bubbs for the cost info. im not 100% sure ill have insurance for much longer though hopefully since stuff is expensive without it.

Bottom

Fragile
Supporter

2/14/08 1:42 PM

I agree with fighter88. I had a nutritionist that had no experience with eds and she really messed me up.
Are you part of an ed program where they can refer you to someone? They would probably know who's best for you.
Good Luck

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

3/16/08 10:21 PM

i've just spent over an hour looking online for someone. unfortunately i dont live in NY because it seems that the info for jewish nutritionists in NY is very accessible but i cant find any in my area!
i totaly don't know what to do
it isnt like i live in a small jewish community. this stuff should be available

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

3/17/08 1:59 AM

Maybe you can call nutritionists in New York, ask if they know someone in your area who would be good; and if not. perhaps you can consult with them over the phone.

Bottom

fighter88
Supporter

3/17/08 4:19 PM

u can call relief and ask them for a nutrionist that specializes in ed's in your area. they're usually helpful. u can also private message me where u live and i might know some people...

"I breathe, therefore I Hope."

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

3/21/08 12:04 AM

im so stupid.
i look in the community phone book and find two.
ill call them up next week.
hopefully one will sound good.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Eating Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.