Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Please help me!
Created On 12/12/08 12:50 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Beautiful
Junior Supporter

12/12/08 12:50 AM

Hashem loves me. Hashem is good. Hashem is perfect. If I know all this to be true, why am I bulimic? What's wrong with me that I don't behave in accordance with this knowledge? If I'm simply caving into my Yetzer Horah, how can I live knowing how rotten I am? But, I can't really be rotten- because Hashem created me, and Hashem is good. So, here we (that would be me, myself and I) have come full circle! Isn't it wonderful? Pardon the sarcasm, but going through the self-torture that I so meticulously administer does tend to bring me to that point.

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

12/12/08 12:52 AM
User is offline View users profile

Maybe its not food you're trying to purge? Maybe its feelings or memories of bad things that you're trying to get rid of, and therefore it has nothing to do with you being a bad person?

-------------------------
Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

12/12/08 3:40 AM

God is perfect, we aren't though. People always have flaws. God gives us challenges on purpose. To strive for perfection would, I think, cause insanity.

Bottom

Beautiful
Junior Supporter

12/12/08 3:35 PM

What do you mean- to strive for perfection would cause insanity?! Isn't that the whole purpose of our being here- to emulate and walk in the ways of Hashem, thus coming as close to perfection as is humanly possible?

Bottom

Beautiful
Junior Supporter

12/12/08 3:44 PM

So let's say I'm trying to get rid of "bad" feelings, which is probably true- how am I less of a bad person for doing so in such an unhealthy way ,than if it were just food I was trying to get rid of- and what difference does it make?

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

12/13/08 8:39 PM

eh, forget it. i decided what i said could be taken as sounding mean.

and forget what i said in my last comment.
i'm no judge of this stuff and i shouldnt be answering posts like this i just end up sounding like a fool.

Edited: 12/14/08 at 1:07 AM by killedlastyear

Bottom

oamember
Junior Supporter

12/15/08 2:30 PM

I have learned thru oa that eating disorders are an illness No matter how hard Itried to control my eating, I could not. I strugglrd with compulsice overeating from the time I was a teenager. I felt enormous shame at the tremendoud amts of food I ate and how I could not stop eating. I have been an oa member for ten years now. I,m maintaining a75-80 pound weight loss. I go to meetings on the phone and there are people on the meeting from all over the world. Eurpe, Israel South America and from the entire USA. Its safe. We all suffer from the same disease and we help each other recover. There are even meetings on the phone and in person for Jewish women only. On Sunday there were 100 Women on the phone line! You don't have to talk Iwould be happy to give info to interested people or to the moderator Please let me know what the protocol is. Chaya

one day at a time

Bottom

oamember
Junior Supporter

12/15/08 2:32 PM

one day at a time

Bottom

oamember
Junior Supporter

12/15/08 2:34 PM

I don't know what I did to get that strange pictureby my reply but its amistake so don't read any message in it!

one day at a time

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

12/15/08 3:01 PM

killedlastyear,
I'm not sure what you said which was so wrong I think you hit it right on the nail.
My Mom's favorite saying is Only G-d is perfect.
>To strive for perfection would, I think, cause insanity.
FYI Dr Sorotzkin has 3 articles on perfectionism http://www.drsorotzkin.com/articles.html

Beautiful,
>thus coming as close to perfection as is humanly possible?
You need to be the best you can be but it will by definition not be perfect.

>So let's say I'm trying to get rid of "bad" feelings, which is probably true-
>how am I less of a bad person for doing so in such an unhealthy way ,
>than if it were just food I was trying to get rid of- and what difference does it make?
I don't think it is a good and bad issue but understanding what the underline cause in order to do something about it.

Welcome aboard and Kol Tuv,
Aba

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

12/15/08 3:06 PM

oamember,
It's great to hear of your success.
May you continue to go M'Chiyl el Chiel
Kol Tuv,
Aba

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Bottom

torah momma
Supporter

12/23/08 6:04 AM

Where do the OA meetings for Jewish women take place. How could I get more information about this. Thanks.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

12/23/08 7:57 PM

you can find the meetings listed on their websites.
there's one in my shul and a few other jewish places listed on their so i assume that those are jewish ones.
i don't know if they list specific for women or men though but i'm sure you can call the phone number listed and ask. or email the website?
that's all i can suggest...

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Eating Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.