Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: inpatient
Created On 7/9/09 2:33 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

7/9/09 2:33 AM

I know this has been asked before, but I was wondering if maybe someone on here knew something that wasn't mentioned before:
Is it possible to do inpatient without eating frozen/airplane-food like meals?
thanks.

Bottom

downandout
Senior Supporter

7/9/09 11:05 AM

Are you talking about because of kosher reasons?
Because that probably depends on where you go. If the facility serves a lot of religious patients, they are more likely to have normal food for you to eat, so that it's easier for you to start again...

How are you feeling? I guess not so good, if you're considering going inpatient. But it's good that you recognize the need for and are willing to take the help.

Good luck, and ((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))).

-------------------------
I want to love my life. My desire is what counts.

Edited: 7/9/09 at 11:08 AM by downandout

Bottom

downandout
Senior Supporter

7/9/09 11:05 AM

Edited: 7/9/09 at 11:06 AM by downandout

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

7/9/09 3:30 PM

You may want to post your question to Dr. Price.

I hope that the inpatient move is successful for you.

Bottom

Fragile
Supporter

7/9/09 6:53 PM

Yeah, the packaged meals are horrible.

I'm not sure, but I think renfrew is starting to serve kosher catered food.

You can call to find out.
1800-renfrew

I'm glad you're admitting that you need help.
That's the first step in recovery.

Be strong!
Good luck!

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

7/9/09 8:01 PM
User is offline View users profile

I know some bikur cholims deliver food. Here are two links.
Passaic, NJ:
http://bikurcholimofpc.com/?page=services#1
Monsey, NY:
http://www.bikurcholim.org/kosher_meals.html

http://www.shemayisrael.com/bikurcholim.htm and http://www.bikurcholimcc.org/directory.php have a list of other places to call.

(For some reason shemayisrael.com is down now, here is a google cached page of the above http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:T4Eo8hHbcGYJ:www.shemayisrael.com/bikurcholim.htm+bikur+cholim+food+to+hospitals+boro+park,ny&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a)

Good Luck I hope it works out for you.
Kol tuv,
aba

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

7/9/09 11:11 PM

Probably Beth Israel and Hillside hospital have kosher meals since they are afffiliated with Albert Einstein. Hillside is on the border between Queens and LI. However I have never been an inpatient there so I couldn't say one way or another if they are good hospitals.

I have been to Holliswood Hospital in queens and found it the best and most professional . Their number is 718-776-8181. Maybe, you can speak to the dietician to find out about the meals. I found most of them to be good. In addition, they serve food that has OU. For example, cereal, bread, jelly,orange juice, regular fruit, pretzels and more. I also found that they served better Kosher meals than like Meal Mart. If you eat chalav stam, they have a good variety.

Bottom

Fragile
Supporter

7/9/09 11:12 PM

Aba- I might be wrong, but I don't think eating disorder units allow food to be brought in from outside sources, therefore the only options are the frozen airplane meals. Unless they offer kosher food... which most places don't.
Then again, i might be wrong.

(By the way, you might be able to get a heter to eat certain foods they serve that aren't exactly kosher...but not treif. You gotta ask your local orthodox rabbi about that.)

Edited: 7/9/09 at 11:14 PM by Fragile

Bottom

Fragile
Supporter

7/9/09 11:34 PM

Braining- I don't think those are eating disorder inpatient treatment centers/programs.
I might be wrong though.

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

7/11/09 10:45 PM

To Fragile,

I am not sure if Hollliswood specializes in eating disorders, but in the general intensive psych unit I was in, some of the patient's came to the hospital because they had an eating disorder including anorexia. So if it is geographically feasable, I think this hospital should be considered.

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

7/11/09 10:46 PM

To Fragile,

I am not sure if Hollliswood specializes in eating disorders, but in the general intensive psych unit I was in, some of the patient's came to the hospital because they had an eating disorder including anorexia. So if it is geographically feasable, I think this hospital should be considered.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

7/12/09 7:48 AM

thank you so much everyone! I can only be on here for a minute because I have to run to do some errands, but seeing how many people replied was so heartwarming!

(sorry I haven't been here much to do the same for everyone else...I'll get better about that!).

yes, downandout, I am asking for kosher reasons, I didn't make that very clear did I.

I'm not really sure if I realize it's best for me. I'm just doing what people tell me I need to do medically. Of course I'm all in denial, but I realize that's how this thing works.

I don't live in NY. I doubt my "team" (it sounds so weird saying that) [dietitian, and docs] would want to send me out of state to a facility that doesn't have an eating disorder unit.
There are two in my state but I looked into them and they both sound SO scary!
I'm meeting with my therapist again this week so we'll see what we discuss.
I really don't want to go if I'm going to have to eat airplane meals though. yuck.

Fragile: I have heard of people asking their rabbis stuff like that before, but I never knew "real" orthodox rabbis would give permission for stuff like that. I'd think they'd say I had to eat the airplane food.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

7/12/09 7:48 AM

btw gad, good suggestion. gonna do that right now!

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

7/13/09 6:42 PM

so i met with my nutritionist today who basically told me that they only brought up inpatient i guess to scare me into eating more. like if you don't then this is what will happen....

so i was like thanks alot. before they mentioned it i was doing so much better. i'd started eating THOUSANDS more calories (literally) then i was before and since they mentioned it for the past week i've been having HORRIBLE anxiety over food which has just torn me to pieces and completely worn me out.

i know it's not her fault. i mean i guess she thought it might really work. maybe its worked on people in the past. but now i'm having trust issues with her. and it's just giving me excuses to doubt the exact honesty of what she says. like now when she's like "even if you eat X amnt of calories there's no way you'd GAIN weight, at the most you'd maintain at the low weight you are now". but now i'm like hm.... that's what she SAYS but maybe she's just lying because it's "best for me" and i'll gain tons. because it sure sounds like i'd gain tons eating that much.

i'm also thinking now that i'm not skinny enough. which i know is so not helpful to think. but its like "oh yeah, you aren't really as dangerously thin as we were pretending" which just makes me think in my twisted mind that i can still get lower and it won't be that big of a deal.... and that the mirror isn't lying, just they are.

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

7/13/09 8:12 PM

Even if someone is not being scrupulously honest, you owe it to yourself to take care of yourself and eat as much as you can, within reason.
I think if you got to being a regular size, you would feel better about yourself, even if , by chance, the nutritionist / therapist was exaggerating a bit.
Be kind to yourself and eventually you will also feel kind to yourself!

Bottom

downandout
Senior Supporter

7/13/09 8:52 PM

KLY - it must be really tough. It's interesting b/c I had the exact opposite situation. My therapist didn't want me to feel "rewarded", so she never told me I looked very thin.... So I was convinced that I wasn't thin enough, and tried to get thinner and thinner.
It must be really frustrating, though. You're trying to get better, but you want to know that you're team is working fully with you, and being completely honest with you. It's hard to know where you're at if they are not. But I guess the best you could do is try to trust them for the time being and see how things go - it's your best option.
(((((((Hugs)))))))) to you and lots of luck.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

7/15/09 12:34 AM

KLY.....I know a lot about various programs (and can find out if I dont know) it would help to know where you are.....u can private message me.

NO EATING DISORDER UNIT/CENTER WILL ALLOW YOU TO BRING YOUR OWN FOOD. having anything delivered thru bikur cholim,etc as suggested above is not at ALL something to count on.

that said, most centers have experience with kosher patients.

Renfrew in particular has been excellent in expanding their kosher menu. they haven't completely eliminated the "frozen dinners" (meal mart), but give u "nomal" breakfast and lunch and keep the frozen stuff limited to dinner entrees (MUCH improved over my first stay there in 2006 when it was all frozen or cheese on bread). They may have even made more improvements since my stay last summer. (this is philly inpatient i'm referring to......ny outpatient is all ou catered).

i think i've heard that princeton might be the most lenient about letting u bring kosher stuff in to work into ur meal plan---i can ask a friend who was just there this spring....

either way, DONT say no to IP if u need it just bc of the food......it's just another excuse not to take care of urself

"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

7/16/09 12:20 PM

Met with my therapist yesterday who said, after doing research, that she couldn't find any place that would really be that willing to work out a kosher situation.
She said she understands why i don't want to go because of that so I'll just keep working with her and my nutritionist and keeping to my food plan.

I didn't mention Renfrew to her tho because it kind of sounds like I'm not really sick enough to need to go anywhere after all.

[side note...i had no clue what you guys were talking about when you kept mentioning "meal mart" i thought it must be some NY thing...then when i was at the grocery last night i saw one (i've seen them tons of times before just never knew the name of them) and i was like oooooooooh THAT'S meal mart! :-p].

btw bubbs... cheese on bread isn't bad. i'd rather have that then frozen.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

7/16/09 2:49 PM

the statement by your therapist that "no place will work with kosher patients" is the MOST REDICULOUS THING I'VE EVER HEARD. I can name 4 places off the top of my head that I've known frum ppl have gone with little or no problem. Again, I don't know where you are located, but places ALL OVER the US have dealt with kosher patients (some better than others, admittedly)....I know b/c when I was looking for treatment at various times, I asked many, many facilities. So maybe your therapist doesn't have any experience having a kosher patient admitted to an ED facility, but it happens ALL THE TIME. Actually, I just thought of a 5th place, in the time it took me to write this paragraph.

As for the "not being sick enough".....nobody ever thinks they're sick enough. I don't know what your situation is--and quite honestly I'm not going to ask or make a judgement bc in the past when I've done that ppl get mad at me. But all facilities make their own assessments, and most places have different levels of care--inpatient, partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient.....they are experts and will be able to know what is appropriate for your needs. It's part of the illness to think you're never sick (or thin) enough.....I almost died and still thought I wasn't "sick enough" to go inpatient!
Just a little reality check for you....

good luck!!

"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

7/16/09 6:42 PM

Ok so I don't think she meant no place that would work at all. I think it was more none of the top places she'd recommend- and that it wasn't IMPOSSIBLE, it just wouldn't be easy and I deff wouldn't be eating anything good. And she hasn't had experience dealing with kosher patients being admitted, which is why she called up the places and spoke to them about it. I live in a pretty decent sized Jewish community so I'm pretty sure the places around here have had experience with frum jews, just they prob get the frozen stuff which I'd rather not have (plus the places here sound so freaky anyway i'd rather not go even if the food was fine).

as far as my situation is I'm not even really sure. I don't want to know how much I weigh. and like you said I'm no judge on my level of "sickness". Yeah I know no one ever thinks they're sick enough. That's the prob. It's so weird. I don't really think this is happening to me.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Eating Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.