Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: anorexia, OCD, PTSD, and control
Created On 9/2/09 7:07 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

no-one-but-me
Junior Supporter

9/2/09 7:07 PM

Does anyone else find that these things are connected?

For me, I was sexually/emotionally abused and neglected and have been a people pleaser for as long as I can remember. Being thin (taught to me from a young age by my fam), was a great way to please them.

I also find that controlling my food intake is one of the only areas in my life that I CAN control (if not the only area!!).

Has anyone else had any experience with this? How did you over come your desire to control your world? It's ruining my life....

I'm sorry if I am not posting clearly or if I put this in the wrong place. Please feel to move it!

I am finding that to heal my anorexia, I need to let go of my need to control. I would love to hear advice/suggestions!

Thanks

-------------------------

Edited: 9/2/09 at 8:07 PM by no-one-but-me

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

9/3/09 9:48 AM
User is offline View users profile

Hi and welcome. I'm sorry to hear about what you are and did go through I hope things get better for you soon. I hope you in more supportive or safer environment now, but I guess based on your user name not really. As you may have picked up from what has been posed before on FS a good and supportive therapist is also very important.

As far as your question is concerned from what I have read and learned from my wife, a.k.a. Ema, and her experiences anorexia, PTSD, and control are definitely connected. For example Judith Herman in Trauma and Recovery makes the connection. One of Ema's books on ED, sorry don't remember which one, also makes the connection between EDs and control.

I'm kind of ignorant on OCD so I don't know how it fits in to the dynamic but I'm sure it does.

I hope this helped clarify things.
Kol Tuv,
Aba

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Edited: 9/3/09 at 9:50 AM by Aba

Bottom

downandout
Senior Supporter

9/3/09 8:52 PM

I don't have any advice to give you. If I did, I'd probably be able to help myself a little bit better.

But either way, like Aba said, ED's and control are definitely VERY related. I find that whenever things are more out of control in my life now (i.e. my marriage, my depression, my thoughts of overdosing), my purging gets worse. It's my way of saying I'm in control. I'm in control of my food, of my body - and in that way my life. And I know it's not really true - I'm really totally out of control, because if I have to resort to these measures when things are not going my way, then that means they are controlling me.

That's the way things are though, so I totally understand your point, and I hope someone else has good input.

I want to love my life. My desire is what counts.

Bottom

racheli88
Junior Supporter

1/25/10 11:31 PM

i can't take it anymore!! some things are just too much for people to handle!! god, where are you?? do you even exsist in my life anymore? how do u just stand by and watch me get abused for so long and then i get this eating disorder and i can't control anything anymore my life is literally falling apart and im watching it happen i don't want to be alive for this there is just so much i can cry my tears are gone and now i just sit here numb and cold

Bottom

downandout
Senior Supporter

1/26/10 11:39 AM

Sorry I'm not replying to all your posts, but I picked just this one.

Sounds like you're feeling pretty bad, from all the posts you've written and especially this one. It feels really awful and lonesome to have gone through so much, then to end up with an ED that you feel you can't escape from. I'm with you on that...

Keep posting on here. You can write about specific things you're having a hard time with, and we can try to support you. Of course, with all the experiences it sounds like you've gone through, I'm sure you'll be able to help others as well.

(((((((hugs)))))))

Feel better.

I want to love my life. My desire is what counts.

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

1/26/10 1:44 PM

I'm sorry you are suffering so much.
Welcome aboard.
I just want to say that this is a safe place with some very nice people hanging around.

Kol Tuv.

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Edited: 1/26/10 at 1:45 PM by Aba

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

1/26/10 4:28 PM

yeah- welcome!!
hang in there

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Eating Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.