Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: How do you deal with a judgemental doc???
Created On 12/8/09 1:37 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

mouse
Senior Supporter

12/8/09 1:37 PM
User is offline View users profile

Ok, so I went to a doctor who actually had ALL my diagnoses (among them the eating disorder) and kept staring at the paper and then at me and repeating the stupid eating disorder in disbelief. I'm not entirely sure what he was thinking but it probably wasn't anything too good....either how could she be so immature? how could she be so stupid? how could she be so gross? how could she be so fat and have and eating disorder like that???? I don't know. Anyhow, uncomfortable moment. Any ideas of how to handle it next time? I'm hoping it doesn't happen again but it may.

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

12/8/09 5:06 PM

Are you suuuuure your mind didn't make a bigger deal out of this then what really happened? That happens alot with our eating disorder thinking. Blowing things out of proportion.

But to answer your question... because this does happen. I'd suggest just letting the uncomfortable moment pass. If it gets worse than that- is it possible to find a new doc?

Honestly I might have asked the doc "what do you mean by that?" (depending on how comfortable I felt).

All I know is I have the most understanding doctor and it makes such a difference. If this is a big enough issue try to find a new one.

BTW maybe he was just really concerned because this was "new" information to him? (have you seen him before). Or maybe he thought that by repeating it it might make you "realize" how dangerous it is and you need to stop (not the right way to go about that, but my point is it might not have been a bad thing!).

eating disorders turn and twists everything. sometimes all someone has to do is look at me and I assume they're thinking i'm fat.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

12/10/09 3:26 AM

Originally posted by: munkster
Any ideas of how to handle it next time?

How about: "You may not realize it, but I feel very uncomfortable when you do that. It makes me feel like you are blaming me. Are you blaming me?"

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

12/10/09 4:20 AM

Then if the doctor says something like, "Why do you feel that way?" you can decide if you want to continue that line of conversation, or to say that you would rather not discuss it right now.

Either way, you are registering your complaint and letting the doctor know how you feel.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

12/12/09 7:55 PM

Thank you, Gad, will probably use your suggestion next time.....KLY, yes it was that bad....he was a newbie....a resident and I guess somewaht clueless as to what someone with and eating disorder could look like (I'm not the typical....chunky and not in my teens.) It was definitely a good minute or two of silence and staring and stuff. We had never met before except when I was in the hospital and kind of "out of it" due to heavy doses of narcotic pain killers. Dunno......it was that bad though...that I know.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

12/12/09 11:23 PM

sorry you had to get the idiot doc. I like gad's idea. are you stuck with this guy though or can you get someone else?

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

12/13/09 2:24 AM

stuck with the dude for the next year so i gotta make the best of it.

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

12/14/09 5:36 PM

>so i gotta make the best of it.
You're a smart cookie so I'm sure you will.
>he was a newbie
You may even teach him some "bedside manner"
Kol Tuv.

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Eating Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.