Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: binging and purging and worried my kid will find out
Created On 11/7/10 6:31 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

mouse
Senior Supporter

11/7/10 6:31 PM
User is offline View users profile

anyone else out there with an ED and kids old enough to know something isn't right??? i'm more worried now than before of my kid finding out because she's older and will know something is wrong. (she isn't old enough to know about eating disorders but IS old enough to know what isn't normal.) if anyone can relate, how do you deal with it? are u scared your kid will also have an ED from seeing what happening? treatment for ED is taking second place on importance primarily because I'm not sure i have an official diagnosis with one and secondly (and more importantly) there are bigger fish to fry... there are more immediate problems that need to be addressed. i always debate if i should treat the ED because it will just cause other problems (need some coping mechanism here) but now i'm wondering if it will effect my kids. any ideas? do i make any sense?

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

downandout
Senior Supporter

11/7/10 8:10 PM

I don't have any advice for you, but I can definitely relate to your problem. I'm not sure how old your daughter is - she's probably older than mine is - but even with my daughter who's quite young, I'm worried about her picking up on my eating disorder behaviors. Now, I am in recovery, and my behaviors are not a constant presence (they have been for the past couple of weeks due to a setback in my recovery), but it does worry me. She's young, but she can easily pick up on things. She has noticed my restricting, and has asked me when I'm going to eat. She has made comments about me not eating during the Shabbos meal. And she asks me what I'm doing in the bathroom... She's too young to know what it's all about, but not too young to pick up on things. And if my recovery doesn't pick up speed, it won't be long before she CAN figure out what it's all about.
So yes, I totally understand your worries. I do see though that you have an issue dealing with it - because you do have to prioritize issues, and if other things have to come first, then this does have to take second place. Is there any way at all you can deal with it at the same time? Because it is extremely important too...

I want to love my life. My desire is what counts.

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

11/8/10 10:38 AM
User is offline View users profile

>are u scared your kid will also have an ED from seeing what happening?
Yes

>i always debate if i should treat the ED
For along time Ema has been dealing with her "issues" from a non-eating disorder angle and not getting very far. Recently she has decided to see someone who specializes in eating disorders in the hope that she will be able to deal with her core issues (my words not hers) at the same time.

good luck and kol tuv.

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Eating Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.