Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: what to look for in a nutritionist?
Created On 6/13/11 5:39 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

toy123
Senior Supporter

6/13/11 5:39 PM

I'm wondering for those of you who have nutritionists what should I look for when I'm researching a nutritionist? What qualities should she/he have? What should their specialty be? Does it have to be an eating disorder nutritionist? Downandout u always speak of your nutritionist how good she is what are her qualities that make her so good? I really need to see a nutritionist and want to find the right one, so any help is appreciated.... Thanks in advance.

-------------------------
Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you.

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay", I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight and say "I know you are not".

Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I'm happy.

Bottom

downandout
Senior Supporter

6/13/11 10:29 PM

Toy, your questions are really on the mark. I want to answer you, but I'm on my way to bed now. I'm going to take the time to think about your questions and hopefully post tomorrow at some point. Have a good night!

I want to love my life. My desire is what counts.

Bottom

downandout
Senior Supporter

6/14/11 6:21 PM

Okay...

So, to answer your questions based purely on my opinion and my own experience, I would say the following: If you're dealing with an eating disorder, be it anorexia, bulimia, binge-eating disorder, EDNOS, whatever, then you need to find a nutritionist who specializes in eating disorders. Otherwise they can be totally clueless as to what to tell you, totally clueless about the emotional aspect of the eating that comes along with eating disorders, and can set you on totally the wrong path. DEFINITELY look for someone who specializes in eating disorders is what I would say.

What qualities? Hard to say, because I believe it's really different, depending on the person. What I find is amazing about mine is that she can do kind of nutrition therapy - a blend of nutrition work alongside therapy. That is, I'll work on body image stuff with her, talk about triggers, reasons behind my symptoms, etc. So I think a nutritionist who could work with eating disorders needs to be perceptive as well, and understand people well. I would look into that - the therapy aspect of it, not just the cut-and-dry nutrition work.

Have you tried Relief for a nutritionist (the eating disorder line)? I know they have recommendations for some, and I believe their recommendations are good.

Hope I was helpful.

Bottom

I'mTrying
Senior Supporter

6/16/11 6:40 PM

Wow downandout that was really clear and informative. Makes me feel more like i wanna get the right help...

Bottom

hugs
Senior Supporter

6/16/11 6:44 PM

So I don't have an ed anymore, b''H but still see a nutritionist because I gained 20lbs over the last year that I was on meds.
Basically, all I do with my nutritionist is weigh in and she looks at my food diary and tells me what I could change for the coming week. I don't feel like I am getting anywhere though. I feel like I'm not motivated for some reason. What can I do to change this or what can I say to my nutritionist so she can help me with this?
Thanks everyone!!!

Bottom

downandout
Senior Supporter

6/18/11 11:39 PM

It seems like basing your week on your past week is not helpful, because that just makes you have to change things. Change is always hard. I'm wondering if you can talk to your nutritionist about planning for the coming week WITHOUT looking at the past week at all - talking about meal planning and foods you can implement without focusing on what you already did wrong or incorrectly. I think starting out with a completely fresh plan might make things easier for you - and of course you can include in that fresh plan everything you are already doing right! I find this works for me when I just look at each day as a new day, not as a day based on making changes to the day before....

Hope that was helpful.

Bottom

hugs
Senior Supporter

6/19/11 8:21 AM

Thanks downandout. Sounds like a plan. I'm going to speak to my nutritionist about it. Here's the other problem- I don't feel like I can have serious convos like that with her. She's nice and everything but I don't feel like I can tell her that I think things need to be done a little differently. I guess I'm scared of her as pathetic as that sounds

Bottom

downandout
Senior Supporter

6/19/11 12:33 PM

Doesn't sound pathetic at all. It's so normal, when seeing a clinician, to be nervous to speak up and give your opinion, because we're so sure that theyknow better than us and will look at us as if we're crazy if we speak up. Two things to keep in mind, though: (1) You are paying, so you have a right to have the session run the way you want it to, and to get from the session what you want to get. (2) You know yourself best, so though the clinician may be smart and may have gotten all the schooling, he/she doesn't know you as well as you know yourself... So you've got to speak up when you know something they don't know.
It definitely takes guts at first, but with time, it gets easier.

Good luck trying!

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Eating Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.