Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Succos and coping skills
Created On 10/10/11 4:23 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

10/10/11 4:23 PM

this time of the year and eating disorders are not the greatest buddies, but as hard as Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur are, for me, when it comes to Succos I feel like throwing in the towel. I'll be staying at my in laws for the first half of yom tov, which is a trigger in and of itself, needing to put on a mask and all, coupled with the lack of privacy, being out of schedule, having to eat different kinds of food and sitting through 6 LONG MEALS and being watched like a hawk, though they're not very knowledgeable or perceptive and as far as I know are not aware of anything other than the fact that my eating habits are a bit eccentic... I usually end up restricting and trying to find a clever way to get rid of food, than I come home irritable and hungry and go to the opposite extreme... anyway, I'm doing so much better than I was last year and haven't binged or purged in a nice while, but I'm really nervous I shouldn't relapse. anyone have any advice or suggestions? how do you guys get through it in one piece? tips please...

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

10/10/11 4:53 PM

Is it possible for you to help with the preparation of the food so you can make a few things you'll feel comfortable eating? Or maybe bring along some stuff for yourself? Or is not the specific food choices that you worry about, but the abundance of it all?

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

10/10/11 6:29 PM

thanks for responding kly, I actually do help out with the prep. a bit, but problem is, the stuff I'm making I wouldn't normally eat myself... too fattening, too junky etc. I have a limited amount of foods I do eat, and though it includes more foods than in the past, it's still pretty limited, that's why shabbos and especially yom tov is so hard even when I'm home... but when I'm away, forget it... I'll probably end up eating food I would rather not for lack of other choices, then obsessing over it and feeling horrible, just thinking about it makes me really anxious, I hate to exhaust so much mental energy over dumb food.... guess I should try not to think too much and take each day at a time...

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

10/16/11 9:13 PM
User is offline View users profile

Succos is like the hardest time for Ema too.
I can't remember a Succos in the past she hasn't restricted or purged.

B"H this one is she is only restricting.

Kol Tuv.

-------------------------
"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Edited: 10/17/11 at 9:05 PM by Aba

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

10/17/11 1:14 AM

same here, I started restricting already right after yom kippur, don't know if it's only me but restricting, even not to an extreme, ALWAYS ends up making me agitated and anxious and/or super weak, so I got desperate and by the time the second day rolled around, started eating more and more until I started going a bit overboard and by today I was back to binging and purging, anyway, I got home already and hope it'll be easier to control, I also consoled myself with the thought that I've been doing so much better and will be able to get back on track once yom tov is over.

hope Ema has an easy time, send her my best wishes.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Eating Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.