Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Kosher Treatment Centers
Created On 4/23/06 11:07 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

OyVey
Junior Supporter

4/23/06 11:07 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows of any kosher residential treatment centers. I have been hospitalized twice before for only two weeks at a time and have relied on kulos that I have been given, and the facilities that I have gone to have tried to work with me on accomodating what ever kashrus they could. However now, my treatment team wants me to go into a residential treatment facility and I just don't know of any that are kosher and I was wondering if anybody out there knew of any that are kosher. I am praying that there is someone out there who knows.
Thank you in advance if you can help me and Tizku L'mitzvos!

-------------------------
Hakol B'ydai Shamayim Chutz M'yiras Shamayim

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

4/24/06 7:10 AM

Hello Oy Vey,

Welcome to this site. Sorry you need to get the advice you are seeking.
Would you mind telling more about your ED?
I am an adult male anorexic who is constantly being threatened by my docs. with hospitalization unless I gain some weight.
I don't know what they have in mind in terms of what type of facility, but I will inquire as to whether there is a kosher program around here- I assume around here means NY area.

In the meantime, I wish you a refuah shelayma- I know how hard this thing is to beat.
(How many people have told you, "Oh, I wish I had your problem-needing to gain weight")
It happens to be one of the most difficult mental illnesses to treat.
Please be careful!
Between 5 and 20% of people diagnosed, eventually die of anorexia complications.

Take Care,
Ernie

Bottom

emptysmile
Supporter

6/11/06 10:46 PM

i dont want to die!
is there any centers?? in the states??

"life is like a box of chocolates always too many nuts and never enough caramels."

Bottom

emptysmile
Supporter

6/11/06 10:47 PM

i mean kosher

"life is like a box of chocolates always too many nuts and never enough caramels."

Bottom

RNRebbitzin
Supporter

6/12/06 10:42 AM

Four Winds Hospital in Westchester offers kosher food

RNRebbitzin

Bottom

emptysmile
Supporter

6/12/06 3:40 PM

is that in mass.?

Bottom

RNRebbitzin
Supporter

6/12/06 11:26 PM

No its in Westchester County, NY , Katonah to be specific

RNRebbitzin

Bottom

emptysmile
Supporter

6/13/06 1:35 PM

oh..i looked it up..
ive been to saratoga..but they dont have it kosher there do they?

Bottom

RNRebbitzin
Supporter

6/13/06 5:34 PM

I don't know about Saratoga, but in Katonah you can get the kosher tv dinners that they serve on the airlines.

RNRebbitzin

Bottom

emptysmile
Supporter

6/14/06 3:31 PM

ew..who would want to eat there..

Bottom

cd123
Supporter

9/4/06 12:07 AM

Schneider's Childrens Hospital has a Kosher program for adol... it's part of LIJ.

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/14/07 6:17 PM

saint clares hospital in boonton has kosher airline meals

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

9/11/07 12:12 PM

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I thought I'd try to help....I've been IP at Renfrew twice this year. They were able to get me a lot of Kosher stuff that WASN'T TV dinners (but, yes, I did have to have some of those, too)....they are known to be very good/accommodating/helpful for kosher/frum patients and I certainly have found that to be the case...I had to be there on various yomim tovim, and I know a girl who actually had to be there on Pesach and they were able to accommodate that as well....

I have heard Princeton (in NJ) can also accommodate kashrus... and I know someone frum who went to Rader in CA, so I assume they have kosher options as well...

As for others, it never hurts to ask....when I was looking around at treatment options, that was the first thing I asked the facility--do they have kosher options and what does that mean. At Renfrew, they had separate kosher utensils in the kitchen, bought separate kosher cheeses, etc....so that as much of my meals as possible were "normal" and not frozen....which I found really important to my recovery process.....anyway, hope that helps somewhat.....

"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Edited: 9/11/07 at 12:17 PM by bubbs96

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

10/16/07 6:25 PM

Isn't renfrew the place that the documentary THIN was filmed?

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

10/17/07 8:38 AM

haha....ummm, yes....THIN was filmed at renfrew (renfrew has 2 locations: florida and philadelphia....i was at the one in philadelphia, and they filmed in florida).....i have a lot of mixed feelings about that documentary and how they made renfrew look and how they made ED patients look...have u seen it? what were ur thoughts?? (tho, now, sometimes i watch it when i am "homesick" for renfrew....how wierd am i?!)

Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

fighter88
Supporter

10/18/07 3:52 PM

lol bubbs, i've seen thin and i thought it made people with eating disorders look like children. they didnt talk about why we use our ed, just talked about the fact that "a girl ate pizza and wanted to kill herself." i was really disappointed with it.

"I breathe, therefore I Hope."

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

10/19/07 12:34 PM

the book THIN is def more in-depth about EDs and the reasons why than the movie....but, i think the movie was the most honest and real look at EDs and how crazy-making they are and how controlling they are than anything else out there so far.....i just didnt like how they focused so much on the "drama" and rule-breaking btwn the girls and renfrew...stuff like that happens, but thats not what treatment is about, and it takes away from showing what the REAL work of inpatient is all about....

Bottom

fighter88
Supporter

10/19/07 2:51 PM

exactly, i agree

Bottom

fighter88
Supporter

10/23/07 10:51 PM

by the way in case anyone still reading this for info, princeton was REALLy good about kosher food. they asked me what i wanted, i was able to bring in a bunch of different food and they were totally understanding when i refused to eat the nasty "airplane" food...

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

10/25/07 12:55 PM

I did watch THIN and was quite obsessed with it. I've actualy watched it more that once (thanks to youtube). My reaction: I was disgustingly jealous of the girls and the whole place. I wanted the attention they were getting. I hated myself for not being sick enough for anyone to care. I have mixed feelings about documentaries and books like that thanks to people like me. For certain people they are warnings, for others they are informative, and then for those like me they're just tools to feed our sick obsession with becoming thin. And yeah, I realize I'm pathetic for that.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

10/25/07 12:56 PM

Oh yeah one thing that I've been wondering: what exactly was the reason for not allowing girls to get tattoos? Was it because some people think of tattoos as a form of self mutilation?

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

10/25/07 2:41 PM

ED is many things, and among those it is a disease of comparing. i think it is only natural that you would compare yourselves to some of the girls in the film in terms of body size....that is your ED talking!! the first time i watched THIN (right when it came out) was 3 weeks before my first inpatient admission to renfrew...needless to say, i was CONVINCED i would be the biggest one there....i wasn't. I want to share a quote I recently found: "ED's come in one size--miserable!".....there is no such thing as not thin enough, not sick enough, etc....an ED is torture, and "pain is not measured on a scale" (hehe, i'm full of cheesy quotes today, but theyre TRUE). For various reasons, many ppl with serious, life-threatening ED's (especially bulimia) may not fit the stereotype of skeletally thin but are in just as much danger if not more so due to electrolyte imbalances, malnurition, dehydration, ulcers, etc...
What I try to take away from THIN is a reminder of how miserable ED is, how no matter how thin and sick u get u are never happy.....the scene where they are talking to brittany about the years and years of cycling thru treatment really touches me....is THAT something to be jealous of? of course not. i know its hard to do, but when you find yourself focusing on the bodies, focus on the torture in the mind instead, and remind yourself all the reasons you DONT want to have ED in your life.....
And, having been inpt (at renfrew), i can honestly say that being there may look "nice", may look like you're being cared for and all that...and yes, the staff IS wonderful and i miss many of the nurses and therapists who helped me while i was there....but being IP and going thru refeeding and stopping the behaviors and gaining weight and working on the issues is TORTURE. i can honestly say i have never been as miserable in my life....i mean literally lying on the floor in a ball crying hysterically begging to die miserable....and the staff is tough and they challenge you and push you a lot, also, because that's the only way you're going to get better, and sometimes you absolutely HATE them for it, bc all you want is someone to hug you and tell u its going to be ok....but that's not what theyre there for. you only get what you are willing to give....and no matter how much comfort and safety u have while ur there, u have to leave eventually (with insurance these days, usually pretty quickly) and then do it on ur own.....yea, sometimes i fantasize about being inpt and "taken care of".....but having been there, twice, i know its not that fantasy world i made up, and its hard work and just and emergency "stopgap" measure to get things under control....

as for the tattoos.....renfrew has a rule about making any "drastic changes" during treatment: u r not allowed to get haircuts (trims are ok but not more than that), hair dyed, etc, so i think that's where the tattoo rule falls under....but now that u mention it, in their intake/assessment they DO ask about "excessive tattoos as SI" so maybe that's also part of it....but, in any case, when you're admitted to renfrew u sign a whole list of things u agree not to do when you're on a pass, tattoos and haircuts and stuff being some of them....

Edited: 10/25/07 at 2:43 PM by bubbs96

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

1/2/08 1:16 AM

hm that makes sense.
i dunno i just get so jealous.
i hate being so jealous.
and then i hate myself for not being sick enough to actualy be the one who needs the help that badly.

too much jealousy.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

1/2/08 11:33 PM

kly, i don't know u well.....i am wondering if u are in treatment at all?

i don't think being sick is something to be jealous of. With ED's, I think often people lose sight of the fact that this is in fact a DEADLY illness, because so much of the focus is on physical size. Eating disorders are not really about food and weight (lesson #1 of treatment!), those are just symptoms. Having an ED is NOTHING to be jealous of....and (speaking out of my own recent experiences) it is not something to be angry at someone for, either. Would you be jealous of someone with cancer? I chose cancer specifically because this disorder CAN kill us. It takes away so much, and is a life-and-death battle every day.

It seems to be that you just want to be taken care of---and I TOTALLY understand that! I come from an abusive and neglectful home, and probably part of how my ED started was as a way to communicate to others (teachers, etc) that I needed to be seen and cared for. But an ED is not something you can start and stop at will. I've had this for 11 years. I'm turning 25 next month, and I've pretty much lost EVERYTHING to my eating disorder---I have NO friends left (they all gave up on me, and/or can't stand watching me be sick anymore, they're too scared), I am sooo far in debt I'll never get out (treatment costs more than my paycheck, and I had to stop working for almost 2 years bc I was too sick). I have more health problems than most 75-year-olds (heart damage, kidney damage, NO digestive system, horrible reflux, apparently permanent dehydration (frequent ER visits for IV's).....I take 20 pills a day!!), I haven't been able to get a date in 3 years (and all I EVER wanted was to be a mom.....not sure if THATS going to happen.....I'm now at risk of infertility).....WHAT could possibly be worth it? I'm alone and miserable and sick ALL the time.....I can't keep a job, I can't keep an apartment.....I have no friends.....I spend ALL my time and money on therapy and doctors and medicine.....and even with all that, I might be relapsing again and forced to go back IP to gain back x amount of pounds.....

i hope i dont come across as attacking....that's not my intent. i guess i'm just expressing my own frustration with my own struggle to recover.....it just makes me so sad to hear someone else who thinks that there's anything GOOD about this......i've spent my time wanting to die, but now I want to live, and I'm scared it might be too late.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

1/7/08 6:28 AM

i suck. im sorry. theres just so much i'm scared of that most times im too scared to live. getting thin is my only motivation sometimes. it's all i really care about.
i dont have friends either, i'm too self conscious about the way i look.
i dont have any money either, i've spent it all on food.
i havent had a date in years weither.
i dropped out of college.
my parents wont leave me alone about what am i gonna do with my life? am i planning on living at home forever? which really freaks me out because i want out of this house already!

i'm not as sick as you though. i've never been hospitalized before.
i'm able to keep my lil nerdy minimum wage job.

i'm sorry.

i'll shut up now and stop replying to posts here i obviously dont belong.

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

1/7/08 11:49 AM
User is offline View users profile

KLY, why do you think you don't belong? I believe that everyone who has had some of this experience can share and someone can learn from you.

Remember, there are lurkers who are not posting who can gain from you, too.

I wish you strength and love.

Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

1/7/08 5:37 PM

KLY, I'm very sorry if what I said made you upset. I DO think you belong here, and I do thiink we should keep this discussion going. As I said, a lot of my post was coming from my own frustration with recovery. A lot of what I said was meant for ME to hear as well as anyone else reading it....ED can trick our minds sooo badly. It STILL fools me into believing that, despite how sick I have gotten, despite how much I have lost to this disease, somehow, using symptoms will make things "better". These reminders of the consequences are things that can never be said enough....I was not trying to lecture you. It's obvious from what you wrote that you have been learning the hard way, too, that ED is not all glamor and thin-ness, like so many people think.

I wonder, again, if you are in some kind of treatment? It seems to me you should be.

It can take years for medical complications to develop. Once they do.....they can't necessarily be undone. I was "fine" for most of the years I had the eating disorder. Now one purge puts me in the hospital. This is sooooo dangerous.....

And yet, when you talk about being scared to live....oy, have I been there. Focusing on food and weight is an all-consuming distraction....that's what makes the ED such a powerful coping skill. It eventually makes us so physically sick (malnutrition and dehydration, even if everything else is ok), that our brains CAN'T think about any of the stress going on around us....believe me, I understand the appeal, and the pull..... I've been there, and I honestly fight HOURLY to keep myself from going back there. Like I said, it just makes me soo sad to see someone else be there.....because I do know how that feels. I've spent most of my life in that space, and it hurts. Maybe nothing I say is going to make a difference in your experience.....sad, but I know I'm just a random stranger typing random words online....who knows if someone telling me just how not-worth-it all this is could have made any difference for me? Maybe I am just talking for myself....I don't know.

Anyway, I'm sorry for upsetting you....and I'm sorry that you're struggling so badly. All I can say is, please, reach out for help. You deserve it....you don't have to live in this pain forever. The sooner you get help, the more likely you are to recover. I wish I had known....

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

1/7/08 9:24 PM

KLY,
We would all miss you very much if you didn't participate.

Bubbs meant no harm, she was just expressing her feelings, and she is sympathetic and sensitive to your challenging situation.

And she really wants you to have proper health and happiness.

Hope to hear good news in your and Bubb's postings.

Bottom

fighter88
Supporter

1/7/08 10:29 PM

kly,
just bec u werent hospitalized it doesnt mean ur ed isnt severe. u want to be skinny so bad and thats "all u want" but its deeper than that. theres a reason why ur going to extreme mesaures to be thin. do u see a therapist? bec my therapists helps me realize the underlying reasons why i have an ed. ed's serve a purpose, theyre there to numb painful feelings, give a sense of control, etc etc etc....and u need to work on those issues to get better bec u deserve so much more than the pain ur going through.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Eating Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.