Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: binge-eating
Created On 11/29/06 2:57 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

11/29/06 2:57 AM

so i got a book recently
it's called
Binge No More: your guide to overcoming disordered eating
it's by joyce d. nash, ph.d.

i haven't really read it yet but i've looked over it and it seems totaly interesting. when i finish with it i'll come back and comment on what i thought of it. but from looking over it it looks really interesting. it looks like it covers all different aspects of binge eating and for all different types of people.

anyway if you're interested i think it's gonna be a good one.

Bottom

rockybrown
Junior Supporter

2/5/07 9:28 PM

yeh, i totally binge eat. like sometimes i know im not hungry but ill still eat. although lately ive been thinking about it and i think i see a pattern, that when i feel good about myself,or just generally happy about something or the good things in my life- i eat.

-------------------------
~when the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box~

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/28/07 3:41 PM

i just have a question for all binge eaters who dont purge right afterwords i dont wnat to sound mean or anythhing but im just curios
please dont get mad at me for asking this but how do you just fill yourself with food and just let yourself get fat i just dont understand imean i no how for you food may make you feel beter but imean do you really want to be overweight? i mean anorexics and bulimics at least have a goal in mind and become skinnier and look awsome i guess its jst hard for me to understand it b/c recently i cant eat a sandwich without throwing it up or not eating the rest of the day and being to me is the worst part of my life especialy scince everyone lies to me and tells me im a healthy weight even my doctors

Bottom

aquabelle
Supporter

5/28/07 7:01 PM

dont know abt e/o else but i loathe myself and i keep telling myself its bad enough i have one unhealthy habit of binging it would b worse if i developed an actual ed and made myself throw up

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/28/07 7:25 PM

but i just dont get how a person can eat a ton and not feel bad after that they could get heavier
also Aquabelle i purge so i feel beter about myself that im on the road to at least a little wweight being lost and i lothe myself to but if i was skinny i would be tonz happier with myself
also theres a binge eating disorder not only anorexia and bulimia

Bottom

aquabelle
Supporter

5/28/07 9:19 PM

e/o feels bad abt that they could get fat and it bothers them and btw, throwing up doesn't make u lose weight, it actually can make u gain weight b/c it messes up ur metabolism

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/29/07 4:43 PM

throwing up can make you gain weight? well then i gues its a good thing i barley ever/never do it that much
and i guess i sorta understand now thanx also in a way i do the same thing by picking my head and pulling out hair when i no im getting balder and when im doing it in the hospital(the medical 1 not mental) when i no i could get a staf infection or somthing like that
also i think sometimes we have the need to do somthing we nos outcome wont be good like cutting and stuff

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/29/07 4:44 PM

oh and sorry if i offended someone by what ive said in this topic or in any other one please forgive me for being unthoughtful and asking qestions like theese

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

7/25/07 11:46 AM

throwing up can make you gain weight only when you eat a TON and then throw up. because you don't get all of the food up and then you get into the addiction of eating a ton and throwing up after. i dunno if that made sense. basicly you dont throw up all the food and you eat so much food that even after throwing up you still have more calories remaining in your body than what your body uses in the day. at least that's how i always understood it?

i binge and don't throw up after. but i do hate myself for it. and i go on severe restricting and fasting for a while afterwards. which is why i've managed to keep an average weight control. which i hate myself for because if i didnt binge at all i'd be able to get skinny skinny skinny instead of just staying the same! sometimes i'm able to not binge for a while but it sneaks back on my usualy.

i have things under some control now though so i've lost some weight and havent been gaining it back. i hope i've killed the bingeing. medications have helped some.

Bottom

aquabelle
Supporter

8/17/07 6:03 PM

i can't stop eating. i'm not even hungry and i eat lots of junk food and then i'm disgusted w/ myself b/c i feel gross and i tell myself i won't do it again and then the next day i do it all over again. when i start eating i'm actually hungry but then i just keep eating and eating. any ideas how to break this cycle?

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

8/17/07 6:28 PM
User is offline View users profile

Have you tried Overeaters Anonymous?

Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/18/07 11:07 PM

Food is comforting, when we are stressed we eat.

It's very difficult to avoid it, since it's right in the house with us.

I once read about a strategy to not even think about it, and that this can also help the metabolism.

Bottom

aquabelle
Supporter

8/19/07 12:11 AM

is overeaters anonymous even for ppl who aren't overweight b/c i'm not overweight

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

8/19/07 1:00 AM
User is offline View users profile

Overeaters anonymous is for people who have problems with overeating.

I went to one meeting and was surprised to see people of all shapes and sizes there. I think its worth a try -- the price is right, and it may help to have someone understanding you.

They also help people with eating disorders, so anorexia, bulimia, overeating, etc, all can be helped there. I was told to try at least 6 meetings to see if its for you.

Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

1/2/08 1:20 AM

just wondering are there others here who binge without purging afterwards? I restrict calorie intake as much as possible but binges always happen every so often. but i dont purge afterwards. i just feel horrible and hate myself and go back to restricting and exercise.

Bottom

fighter88
Supporter

1/2/08 8:50 PM

i used to binge the first year of my ed before i started purging. its the worst most out of control feeling, worse than purging, worse than every other part of the ed...

"I breathe, therefore I Hope."

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

1/2/08 11:02 PM

exercise and restriction are "purging" behaviors.....you are trying to compensate for binges by fasting or burning off calories. these methods are listed in the dsm diagnostic criteria for bulimia---not all bulimia is the "typical" eating and throwing up. (there are several other purge methods, but i'm not here to give tips!)

its important to realize that all these compensation behaviors---the restricting, the over-exercise---are actually setting you up to binge. the more you starve yourself, the more likely you are to "lose control" when you DO finally allow yourself to eat something--anything! i have seen this myself soooooo many times, and it took me a long time to believe my nutritionist when she was telling me this (because, hey, to my eating-disordered-brain, i thought she was just telling me ANYTHING to get me to eat more). But, I have seen it to be true, on a large scale and small.

I have had my eating disorder for at least 11 years. The symptoms have changed throughout that time. The first few years, I was mainly restricting....maybe once a week or so I would "binge", usually on safe foods, and there was occasional purging.....
I got to college, and "allowed" myself to eat....and ended up with binge-eating as my main symptom (again, occasional use of other symptoms, but this was my main one)
Then, approaching graduation, switched back to restricting, over-exercising, and purging.....
which i couldn't maintain b/c my body was STARVING, so then came the all-weekend-binges, followed by purging, and restricting all week, and over-exercising.....

it's just a horrible cycle. the only way out is to follow a mealplan (can you see a nutritionist??), and therapy for the underlying issues.

"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

2/23/08 11:59 PM

this is the grossest thing ever.
i restrict my calorie intake for like 3 weeks, or even more sometimes. and then like one day for no particular reason i wake up STARVING and just pig out for breakfast. breakfast pig-out eventualy leads to a week of straight binging. of course i hate myself that whole week. and after the week is over i'm usualy able to get it together and go back to restricting. but that week is disgusting. i cant even begin to list everything i eat.
i'm not even hungry by the second day. but i just feel the need to go to the grocery. to buy all of those foods i wouldnt normaly eat.
i dont even want any of them.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

2/23/08 11:59 PM

i go to the store and i'm like "what am i in the mood for?" and i realize im in the mood for NONE of it but i still feel the need like i HAAAVe to buy it. like now that i've already "allowed myself" (in my mind) to eat whatever i want i just need to buy stuff. so i go and buy stuff and stuff myself to the point of popping, but i dont pop i keep on stuffing.
its so disgusting. i dont even want the food. I DONT EVEN WANT IT. i hate myself so much.
i keep on swearing i'm not gonna let it happen again. but i know its gonna. theres no warning really. it just always does. no matter how strong i try to be
*kicks self*
p.s. i'm only writing this to vent, not for people to really give me suggestions like "if you wouldnt restrict so much you wouldnt end up binging. cuz i know that already.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

2/24/08 2:04 AM

Everyone loses it from time to time, so why yell at yourself.

Being able to go back on is commendable, and you can give yourself credit for that.

Have a good week.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

2/24/08 8:04 AM

you specifically said you don't want feedback, so i'll simply say this: I've been there. I know how much it hurts. I wish you would get help for yourself, but in the meantime, just know you are not alone. There are others of us who have been through this misery and can understand. I am sorry you have to be in this place.

"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

seb613
Supporter

2/26/08 3:10 PM

I binge eat but don't cause vomiting after. I just keep gaining weight. I went to Overeaters Anonymous, but all four meetings I went too, I couldn't find a sponsor. No one has completed the twelve steps.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

3/16/08 9:09 PM

what exactly goes on in OA meetings? can you ask other people questions or is it just listening to peoples stories with no questions allowed?

Bottom

coach
Junior Supporter

12/24/08 8:40 AM

I wonder what happened to this thread? Is anyone still talkaing about it? I was raised by a binge eater and became anorexic at 17, after hospitalization I swore I would never get fat like my mother. But as the years rolled by the pounds creeped up and each diet was followed by a greater weight gain. I now find myself at 190. Too small for a bypass or lapband and too big to live with. Afraid to diet because of the rebound and disgusted with myself. The binging goes on. I can really relate to that feeling of HAVING to eat something - usually high sugar carbs - and hate myself afterwards. It's like a compulsion. must eat it must eat it until I eat it to shut out the noise.
Help!

Coach

Bottom

Leah Anderson
Supporter

12/24/08 2:50 PM

Hi coach! I can feel and understand your pain. It must be horrible for you. But I am sure you know that you are not alone, unfortunately many of us have eating disorders, and food is a very big problem in their lives. I don't know what you can or can't afford, but why not get some help? Go to a good therapist who has experience with eating disorders to get to the root of what causes you to over eat. Getting a good nutritionist is also helpful, to give you an eating plan that will make you feel good and lose weight. If you are married, maybe you can enlist your spouse to help you as well, if that would be helpful. Keep trying, don't give up!

Bottom

oamember
Junior Supporter

2/1/09 12:34 PM

Hi I am new to this forum. I am recovering fom compulsive overeating which included years of binging shame and hopelessness. I am 5 feet tall and weighed over 200 pounds. I ate when I was happy, sad angry, tired bored. Physical hunger has very little to do with it. I joined OA and I got the help that I needed to lose the 80 pounds and the tools for keeping it off . Its been over 10 years! I love having a normal sized body and the physical recovery to be able to excercize w/o think I'm going to die or just climb a flight of stairs w/o huffing and puffing. I also lfeel comfortable walking into a room. I don't Check out if there is any one fatter than me here. OA has meetings all over the world, all free. There is also phone meetings. There is also meetings that are called Torah and 12 step Meetings for a frum Toah insight in to food addictions. For OA go to OA.org and look for the phone meetings. For the Toah and 12 step info you need to get that directly fom a participant because its not publicized anywhere but many many frum women who go to OA meetings can direct you there. They get about 60-100 people at a meeting. Very powerful. Did I say that I have kept my weight loss off fpr over 10 years. And the best part really is is that I don't binge anymore. My first name is Chaya. And I'm grateful to have found OA.

one day at a time

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Eating Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.