Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Skin picking
Created On 7/3/09 3:20 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Achdus
Supporter

7/3/09 3:20 PM

I pick on my skin mostly on my face and do not know how to get a handle on this. It is usually worst when I am angry at myself. Does anyone know how I can get over this?

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

7/22/09 10:23 PM

I have found this topic talked about in the self injury section. It may also be in the addiction category. Maybe this is why no one has sent a response. Either that, or no one has an answer to this issue.

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/23/09 12:08 PM
User is offline View users profile

Truthfuly- no one has an answer. not the doctors, not the people here on frumsupport
i have the curse of picking my scalp- i go to my dr. -just wear a hat, clench your fists, vasaline on your fingers, hold ice cubes, peel barbie heads instead- basicaly "just break the habbit"
but its hard!
i try clenching my fists, and it works for a while , unfortunatly it dosent work that much for me, but it helps me get through the day, until the night comes and i pick, but ive really reduced it, basicaly try to find a habbit to replace it - or to block it ex, bandaids on your fingers etc. - its hard i know but it is possible to stop!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

7/23/09 3:48 PM

I guess that just knowing that it is possible (albeit difficult) to stop, that this knowledge itself allows for some comfort and optimism.

(Sort of reminds me of someone who once said: "I'm not addicted to smoking. I can stop anytime I want to. I just don't want to.")

Hope to hear good news.

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/23/09 9:57 PM

no! its totaly not like i can stop, becuase you cant, i mean you can- oh, i guess your right, but truthfuly , its different becuase picking isnt "cool" or satisfying, or appitite suppressing so its different, but still the same

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

7/26/09 12:39 AM

Thanks guys for answering because I was feeling ignored.

Since Dialectical behavior therapy is discussed a lot here and my therapist coach has introduced me to it, I'm reading up on it. It gives the idea of the ice cubes to hold on to and maybe having a doll to "hurt" when you feel like hurting yourself. Maybe I will get such a doll or something to release my tension when I want to hurt myself.

I read that skin picking is similar to hair pulling which I also someimes do and they are ocd spectrum disorders. That's why I posted here.

I am hopeful that there are some answers out there and I can feel less pain. I will try to find out about what kindof treatment I can tryand let you know if I found something that works fo me.

Thanks guys for listening and giving ideas that you know about.

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

7/26/09 12:40 AM

Thank you Chanafofana and Gad!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

7/26/09 4:29 AM

Would it help to wear gloves?

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/26/09 11:18 AM

going to camp this week. that includes:
1. being checked for lice (holes in my head)
2. not leting anyone tuch my hair (nerd!)
3. worrying about someone seeing (more than usual)
Braining- try finding a goal . for example, i tried piccking less so i wouldnt suffer as much in camp. of course, i still have a big hole, but acording 2 my doctor its getting smaller
anythign you can look foward to?

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

7/26/09 4:26 PM

I can't really continue on frumsupport as it often makes me feel depressed or addicted. Thank G-d, although I sometimes have this problem, I have other things going for me in my life and I don't always pick or pull.
Thanks again guys for your support and hatzlacha to Chanafofana in finding relief from this challenge.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.