Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: FRUM PEOPLE WITH OCD
Created On 8/16/12 2:58 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]
View thread in raw text format

Shver
Supporter

9/29/13 5:35 PM

Edited: 9/29/13 at 8:47 PM by Shver

Bottom

Shver
Supporter

9/29/13 5:36 PM

To mel_08701
I finally got two books you metnioned and started reading one of them today.
I am very curious about your experiences with ERP. How painful is it and
how long did it take until you had some relief.

Bottom

mel_08701
Junior Supporter

10/4/13 2:57 PM

To Shver,

I have found that although fighting the urge to perform compulsions can be very painful and difficult at the time of the obsessional spike, once I make the determined decison that I will not perform the compulsion the discomfort gradually lessens and eventually dissipates. A helpful thought to keep in mind is to measure short term gratification & pain versus long term. Giving in to a compulsion will provide short term relief but long term pain since the ocd urges will just get strengthened. While refusing to perform a compulsion will only cause temporary anxiety but in the long term will help in overcoming ocd.

How are the books that I recommended? Did you find them helpful?

Bottom

mel_08701
Junior Supporter

10/4/13 3:09 PM

Edited: 10/4/13 at 3:15 PM by mel_08701

Bottom

his8sm
Supporter

10/5/13 11:39 PM

Hi Mel
I agree
This year I have had two huge obsessions involving if something happened to me replaying the incident etc
It was v tempting to seek reassurance but I waited it out it lasted for two weeks and was horrible but it gradually passed-the urge to do the compulsion
It helped not asking for reassurance because now when I get the spikes I can say- well you waited those really bad ones out and they passed over time so this you can also wait out and not act on

Bottom

Shver
Supporter

10/14/13 12:14 PM

Hi Mel,

I have been catching up on my work that I missed over the Holidays.
Every erev Yom Tov I left early etc. so I need to put in some extra hours.

I got both books. The first one I found to be more useful.
B'H' I am feeling better and trying to practice non-avoidance.

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.