Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Trichotillomania
Created On 8/24/05 7:54 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Sarah
Supporter

8/24/05 7:54 PM

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone had any success with treating trichotillomania? (pulling of hair). My daughter pulls out her eyebrows since she was 14 years old. She is now 20 and it seems to get worse when there is anxiety.

Sarah

-------------------------
Daven to Hashem - He always listens to you!

Bottom

frumtherapist
Supporter

11/16/05 1:11 PM

There are medications that target trichotillomania. Seek a competent Psychiatrist. You can call RELIEF for a referral. In addition, as this is most often rooted in anxiety, seek a psychotherapist who uses Cognitive-Behavior Therapy as their modality in psychotherapy.

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/27/06 2:14 PM

hey, i used to have this problem in 6th grade. but i would scratch my head. i did it on the top until i had a huuge scab. i'd always pick it open and soince hair was attatched, hair came out too. it was really gross! (sorry for being so graphic) but everyone coukld see it and it was REALLY embarrassing. thank g-d when the hair dresser did my long hair for icture day, he didn't say anything even though it was trotally obvious and it was on the top in the back on the crown of my head. i'd say that formed because of deep deep deep rooted anxiety. baruch hashem, it's healled compltely and the hair has fully grown back since. i don't do that anyomore for anxiety, it's not worth it to me, now i just do other self estructive things, lol. but sometimes that area is still sensitive to intense heat, cold, or sunburn. it hurts a little too sometimes, i don't know why. but baruch hashem, like i said, it's mostly healled. no one can even tell it wwas there now. thank g-d for the assage of fears and the passage of time. as they say, whether it's good or bad, it will all pass.

atara

what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

1/29/06 8:32 PM

Hi Atara,

How did you manage to stop? Why would anyone do self-destructive things? There are some things that my daughter does because of her anxiety or because she has schizophrenia, the anxiety is very strong.

1. Pulls her eyebrows out - with inositol - this should stop in 6 weeks, if only she would take it!
2. does not like talking about subjects she disagrees with.

etc.

Sarah

Bottom

zeigezuntunshtark
Junior Supporter

11/24/06 2:48 AM

Has inositol helped any trichster? BTW, there is a valuable website out there for trich. it's http://www.trich.org. There is also Brenda's site- I think there is a link to it on the trich site...Please post what has helped you.

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

11/24/06 3:40 PM

My daughter was on inositol but this did not help her. I am still searching for a cure for her.

Sarah

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

1/20/07 9:17 PM

Has anyone had any success with this website?
http://www.123trichotillomaniafree.com/ It seems to me that this has something to do with Cognitive Therapy. Please let me know what you think?
Sarah

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

2/25/07 6:51 PM

hi torcalicious 613 is it really tri... if you pick at your head because i do that and how did you stop because i havent been able to stop and havent worn my hair down for like 3 months and i gata stop

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

3/9/08 3:29 PM

Dear Avious101 and All,

Boruch Hashem I am so happy to report that with the help of a psychologist who used Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, my daughter has her eyebrows back and she looks so much healthier and prettier. I would say that the whole process with the psychologist took approximately 4 months of appointments once a week. The psychologist told my daughter to collect the hair she pulled out and put it in a ziploc bag. When she was down to two hairs in the ziploc bag they started to party by buying her a kosher sandwich or my daughter bringing cookies and they had a serving of cookies, i.e. 4 cookies.

I want my daughter to continue Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for her schizophrenia. I see so much improvement in her that it is so encouraging.

Take care

Sarah

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

3/9/08 8:35 PM

I'm glad that things are improving for you and your daughter.
May it go from good to better.

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

3/9/08 8:38 PM

Thank you for your kind words Gad.

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/1/13 9:00 PM
User is offline View users profile

one thing that helps with the eyebrows a drop- wearing big glasses or a cloth headband. Just to be a barier when shes reading or doing things where she pulls. really helps me!!

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.