Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Hypoglycemia
Created On 2/15/10 10:20 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

freespirited1
Supporter

2/15/10 10:20 PM

I know that this is the diabetes forum, but there's nowhere for people like me to post and my problem is close enough to diabetes so I'm posting here.

My father and I both have hypoglycemia. Out bodies produce too much insulin rather than not enough, which means that we costantly have "low" sugars. Of course, our low and the diabetic low are very different; if I have a BG of, say, 80, I'm already dizzy with a migraine. So we count carbs, avoid sugar as much as possible (not too easy for me, as I'm a girl and can hardly control my food cravings), and test our sugars.

But it seems to be very easy for my father and not too easy for me. Sure, there will be some weeks where I'm very conscious of my sugar and never have a BG below 90, but then there are other weeks where I absolutely can't deal with it at all and ignore the diet completely. Which is very bad because the more extra insulin my body produces, the more likely I am to get type 2 diabetes, where I'll be forced to stick to the diet with as little cheating as humanly possible, which is even worse.

Does anyone have any motivation for me? Any foods that actually taste pretty good but have little to no sugar and lots of protein and not too many carbs? Anyone have any way to help me remember to eat? (In school all day doesn't help matters.) I've figured out how to test my sugar under my desk, which is nice, but then I have to leave the room to eat because my school isn't accommodating at all. And I usually feel like a total idiot for complaining to my diabetic friends about a BG of, say, 86. That also doesn't help my motivation at all. Why can't I just be normal and have my body react normally to normal BGs?

-------------------------
Smile; it's what your mouth is there for
---
I have the short-term memory of a carrot
---
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

2/15/10 10:39 PM

i'm sure others have tips, but there are some things that may help..fill up on proteins and healthy fats. nuts are excellent to snack on, for ex. do not avoid fats like most ppl think you should. by sticking to these things you will stay full for longer and help regulate blood sugar levels. keep in mind that if you do want something with some carbs, you should have it with lots of [healthy] fats to try to not spike the blood sugar levels [protein does not help this; it is the fats the cushion the carbs effect on the sugar levels.] also, i find that many fruit snacks that are only made out of fruit are a good "cheating" snack if you want a sweet teat, and also bear in mind that a good sugar alternative is agave nectar or stevia [though there are some Qs about stevia re fertility..but it helps so that carbs do not get broken down in the usual way and therefore recommended in blood sugar level issues..]

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Diabetes < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.