Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Emetiphobia
Created On 3/17/07 9:53 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

avious101
Senior Supporter

3/17/07 9:53 PM

Hi everyone i have emetiphobia and thats the fear of throwing up and i freak out about anything having to do with throwing up even when people cough i freak out becausei think theyre gonna throw up an the stomach virus is going around and i dont know what to do because usualy winter is horable but i was in the hospital for sucide all winter so i was saved but now im going to die because Hashem has spared me for three years why would he save me again from throwing up
also im torn because i want to kill myself so i wont throw up but i dont realy want to end my life that much and also ill go to residential if im not successful so please help me cause i have to go to school on monday and its gonna be torture luckily it snowed so i had a snowday on friday though so PLEASE help me

Bottom

Eliyahoo
Junior Supporter

3/19/07 10:03 AM

Hi. I just want you to know that I know what you are going through. My son suffers from the exact same thing. YOOU ARE GOING TO BE FINE! You ARE fine!. Did you know that Emetophobes rarely throw-up? Well, it's true. I don't know exactly why, but people with Emetophobia hardly if ever throw up.

How old are you? My son is 9. Everyday is a challange for him to go to school, but Baruch Hashem he is facing his fears and with Hashems help and therapy he will overcome it just like YOU will too. Are you going to therapy for this? Are you taking any medication?

I know it is very difficult for you. I also know that no matter how much you want to rationalize the fear does not go away. But you have to KNOW that you are fine and that you will continue to be fine. What you DO need is a support system and professional therapy from someone who is expertly trained to handle phobias. Please let me know how I can be of help to you. I will do whatever is in my power, Bli neder.

One last thing. Whenever my son is feeling REALLY scared, I tell him to smile. Even if it is just a complete fake smile, the body reacts differently when you have a smile on your face. It is almost impossible to feel the same level of fear if you are smiling. Try it and let me know if it works for you. May Hashem bless you with a speedy and COMPLETE recovery from these feelings.

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

3/19/07 8:00 PM

hey i never knew other people were scared of that AND no i WONT be fine if im lucky ill die if im not then ill die anyway of wowness from throwing up (ok maybe not wowness but i cant thinkof the word) i first got this when i was nine but my parents diddnt know what was wrong with me cause i diddnt tell them but at least now they know and you said we rarley ever throw up well what if im oneof the rarleys and i do throw up ??????? then my parents will freak out on me and send me to a hospital and my p doc said i would go to residential if i go to the hospital again for suicide and that would be a problem cause i dont know if theres jewish ones

im 13 and i totaly understand about the every day is a chalenge b/c it definitaly is i dont eat so i wont throw up well actually i dont eat b/c im to fat (and no im not anerexic even though my parents say i am but im definitly not)
(even though that wont make a diference because if my body wants to throw up it will (at least acording to my parents ) or so i wont get food poisoning , i dont touch people , i hold my breath or breethe through my sleeve when im near sick or coughy people and purel is my best friend oh and i have a panic atak every time someone coughs

and B"H im in therapy but i just started so shes working about the self esteem and eating first i go to a center for cbt twice a week b/c i think its part of my ocd and im on a bunch of meds and i dont know what theytre for though and your right smilin can sorta help
thanx
avious101

Bottom

Eliyahoo
Junior Supporter

3/20/07 9:34 AM

Hi Avious, (although I know that is not your real name)

I am soo happy to hear back from you. By the way, my name is Eliyahu and I live in Miami, Florida.

How was your day today? Did you try the smiling "trick"? Today, BARUCH HASHEM, was one of the good days for my son. You have some days better than others right? Well, I always tell my son to draw strength from those days. I know it is tough, yet you have to put 100% of YOUR effort to make things better. THEY WILL GET BETTER!! B'ezrat Hashem. You know, you strike me as a very intelligent person and I am sure that when you get over this obssesive fear , you will flourish and help many others in similar situations. Maybe that is your mission in life.

I am a bit older than you. Actually, A LOT older than you. You are my daughter's age. Anyway, when I was about 8 or 9 yrs. old, I always feared that I would not make it til 13. I was always afraid of dying. When I turned 13, I "KNEW" that I would not make it til 21. When I hit 21, I said that's it, 30 is it for me. The point is that I was obssesed with the fear of dying, very much like you are obssesed with the fear of throwing up. I suffered through major panic attacks and severe anxiety. And I never thought I would get better, EVER. But you know what? That's right, I got better BARUCH HASHEM and now I can talk to others like you and try to help. So don't think that I am talking just for the sake of talking. I know how you feel and I know how scary it could be, but be sure of one thing. YOU WILL BE OK! You WILL get better. LIFE IS WORTH LIVING. Please believe me, because I was in your shoes once wanting to die so that my misery would end. But if that would have happened, I would not be writing to you today and I would not have had the opportunity of enjoying sooooo many things in my life. This too shall pass.

I know that you trust in Hashem, our creator. Well, he said we have to be CHAZAK, CHAZAK, VENISCHAZEK! Continue being strong just like you have been so far. And please write to me whenever you feel like it. My personal e-mail is safo999@hotmail.com The only thing I ask is that you please tell your parents that you are e-mailing me. I would appreciate if your parents could e-mail me as well letting me know it is OK to e-mail you. Thanks. And remember SMILE!!!!!

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

3/20/07 6:36 PM

hey by the way my real name is Avigayil
i dont usually have taht many panic ataks about throwing up on tuesday because i dont go on the morning bus because i go to my T but the smiling diddnt work that well when i had panic ataks about my tests that i had today wich i probably failed but it worked a little though ok and im FAR from inteligent im not even smart enough to be stupid
wow your strong i would have killed myself the second i got that faer imean i even was goiong to kill myself with this fear that shows your strong and i guess that means your sons anxiety is genetic mine is to sort of i guess cause my mother is obcesive compulsive but shes only a germ thing and i have depression ocd anxiety recently trricholomania or somthing like that that has to do with pulling out and picike g your scalp and hair so now i have bald patches and i still pick and pull and no my parents would kill me ifthey new i was e mailing an older man whos maried and even if you were my age i cant really email guys sorry
(oh i googeled smile after you told me to smile and i found somthing look in holding ons most recent thing in depresion

Bottom

Eliyahoo
Junior Supporter

3/21/07 10:05 AM

Hi Avygail,

Baruch Hashem, today is a whole new day! I am glad to hear you didn't experience panic attacks about throwing up today. Can you agree that is a good thing? Yes? I am also glad to hear that the smiling worked at least a little. Would you agree that having something positive work at least a little is a good thing? Yes? So what exactly did you find out when you googled about SMILE? Anything interesting? I know you said something about depression, but I did not understand completely. You are very intelligent for having gone to google to find out about this smiling stuff. Excellent!

I strongly suggest that you please tell your parents to contact me so that they are informed about this forum. It is very important that your parents know who you communicate with. If your parents do not contact me to tell me it is ok, I will not be able to continue any contact with you. OK? Thanks.

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

3/21/07 5:16 PM

you can see the smiling things in the deppresion forum under happy postings posted by holding on
and your just joking im not inteligent anyone can gogle somthing
Hope to contact you again
avious101

Bottom

Eliyahoo
Junior Supporter

3/22/07 11:09 AM

Hi Avygail,

It is good to hear from you. I will be responding to you via this public message board only. Since you have decided not to inform your parents I will not repond to your e-mails, but only through here. OK? I still STRONGLY suggest you inform your parents. We all need the most support we can get. Dont you agree?

By the way, I was not joking about you being intelligent. I know you are, because of the way you express yourself. Besides, when I say something it is because I mean it. I will only tell you something if it is true, even if it not positive. The truth is the only way we can get free. Even Moshe Rabbenu, when he spoke to Hashem, spoke with the absolute truth even if it was not what Hashem "wanted" to hear. He spoke from the heart. Therefore, it is very important for us to be honest with others and especially with OURSELVES. Sometimes we do not feel like opening up our hearts to others and expressing our feelings, but in a sense that is like lying to ourselves. We must especially express those feelings that are making us feel bad. I would not express them to just anyone, but to someone like a loving parent or a trusted teacher or principal. As I have told you before, I am much older than you and have experienced some very difficult feelings in my life similar to yours. I must tell you that the day I started to open up and express my feelings to someone who loves me, from that day on I began to recover and feel better about myself and about life in general.

Sometimes we think that we are alone in our pain and we think that no one else is suffering from our ailment but the truth is that YOU ARE NOT ALONE. There are THOUSANDS of people including children who have suffered from the same and have recovered beautifully and have gone on to live happy and productive lives. Take my son for instance, he is just as afraid as you of throwing up, and it has been very difficult for him. But BARUCH HASHEM, he has reached out and is recieving the help he deserves. I will tell you the exact same thing I tell him. Only if you help yourself will anyone else be alble to help you. Avygail, you can get better. YOU WILL get better! But you MUST help yourself.

Life is like a rollercoaster, there are highs and lows and some parts are really bumpy, but the ride in general is really fun. I will daven for a refuah shelema for you, just like you wished for my son.

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

3/22/07 5:05 PM

please dont daven for me i dont deserve it and even if i did i dont want or need it im happy having problems and i dont mind beign tortured b/c ill take life as it comes b/c i dont want it in the first place

Bottom

Eliyahoo
Junior Supporter

3/23/07 9:43 AM

Hi Avygail,

It's Erev Shabbos. I always get excited about Shabbos. How about you? What do you do on Shabbos? Do you go to Shul? Do you go to B'nos?

So, why do you feel you do not deserve to be davened for? What is it that you like most about having problems and being "tortured"?

By the way, BARUCH HASHEM my son is doing much better this week, YISHTABACH SHEMO! He really wants to get better and therefore puts a lot of effort into thinking and acting positively. Although it is very difficult for him sometimes. Since he does his Hishtaldus, Hashem helps him. BARUCH HASHEM!

Have a GREAT Shabbos! I look forward to hearing back from you.

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

3/23/07 10:12 AM
User is offline View users profile

I read a very powerful article on the OU website about the purpose of life, and how, even someone who is in a coma, or vegetative state, like Terry Saivo was, still has a purpose, because Hashem has decided that their time on this earth isn't over, and yet they can't do anything for themselves, or even do mitzvos, etc. So the article was saying, HOW MUCH MORE SO, those of us who ARE still able to make choices and do for ourselves.

I think it is very important to accept that, even if one doesn't believe it about oneself.

-------------------------
Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

3/25/07 4:29 PM

hey eliyahooo
shabos is torture for me b/c i only have one friend from school in my town and i dont really want to kow the other girls and i cant read because my meds and so all i do is cry sleep and play games with my family .
its also hard for me because i cant do any coping skils and i get panic ataks every time i go to shul so why try and also there is to many meals on shabos and thats when my parents critisize me for not eating that much but im so fat why should they care all they say is you are in the healthy body weight range but healthy means FAT no (ofence to anyone who is) also i mostly just sleep the day away because im anemic or somthing i think but i dont know if its for sure
im to old for bnos
i dont deserve to be davened or b/c im not wworth it put your efilos intosomeone else who needs it more than me i dont mind having some problems and if i get rid of these problems what else bad will hapen????? b/c lifes never perfect soif im happy now why move on to somthing i may not like as much
also i pick my head ie self mutilation evn on shabos so i deserve to bve punished i mean having bald spots is punishment enough but oh well
oh an by the way if life was a roler coaster then i would stp the ride andgooff because people throw up on roler coasters
bye

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

3/25/07 6:38 PM

Sometimes Shabbos can be very hard at shul, so it's good that you can spend nice time at home.

Have a good week.

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

3/25/07 9:13 PM

su
i justread it and your right it is strong

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

3/26/07 7:26 PM

HELP things are getting really bad i have mini panic ataks everytime i eat b/c im to fat but you probably have no experience in that but please give me advice that wont make me fatter

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

3/26/07 7:33 PM
User is offline View users profile

Deep breaths. Breathe deep into your lungs and slowly breathe out.

What does you doctor want you to do for panic?

The biggest challenge with panic is the lack of oxygen in your body.

Breathe in slowly, and out slowly, so you don't hyperventilate. If you feel that you are hyperventilateing (breathing in or out too fast) breathe into a BAG.

You'll be fine. Chew, swallow and breathe.

You can do it, Avigayil. I know you can. You have shown strength in the past, show it again. Do it, girl! I believe in you!!!

-------------------------
Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

3/26/07 8:28 PM

my doctordoesnt know that i get half panic ataks from eating and if they did no they would tell me i have an eating disorder wich i DONT and i get the panic ataks after i eat and i can just feel myself getting bigger as my body digests and food is just gross so it makes me want to throw it up but im to scared to but at least i dont eat that much so i only have to worry abt it at home and wont be embaresed from crying

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

3/26/07 8:32 PM

wait a second su how do you no i have shown streng\th in the past i dont even no you or do i ?? but considering the fact that im a complete faluire thats not exactly acurate but thanx anyway

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

4/8/07 12:22 PM

hope everyone had a good first half of pesach and the second half is good also
and help i gained weight and now i always want to throw up whe i eat but i cant b/c im to scared to

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

4/8/07 6:09 PM

Have a good Yom Tov.

I once heard that not worrying about the weight helps the metabolism.

Hope to hear good news.

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

4/10/07 8:50 PM

gad
if that was true id gain more weight every day and be bigger tan a sumo wresteler

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

4/11/07 4:37 AM

I didn't write that worrying about it adds alot of weight (although I suppose that when a person is stressed about things they may tend to eat more).

What I heard was that not worrying about it helps the metabolism. I also heard that doctors exaggerate the health risks of weight.

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

4/11/07 10:27 AM

in that case my doctor was exaderating when she said i was underweight or just diddnt want to make me feel bad any way i gained 8 pounds since then

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

4/11/07 3:51 PM

Maybe you're right. According to what I heard, when it comes to worry about weight, the best approach is to not even think about it.

Hope to hear good news.

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/16/07 8:03 PM

guess what my emetiphobia iis cured pm me and ill tel you why (by the way anyone can)

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Panic Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.